WyoTech Graduate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 11:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question WyoTech Graduate

I Graduated in March from WyoTech and have been working at a body shop in Scottsdale Arizona. I went in thinking I was going to be a body man but they told me I was going to buff for about a week and then when their buffer came back from vacation i would do body work. Five months later I'm still buffing and I cant stand it any more. Now I haven't worked in 2 weeks because it's been really slow. I'm fed up with doing what I don't like to do.
Does anyone know of a Street Rod or Chopper shop in Arizona that is hiring because I've been looking and no one is hiring. I have experience and some tools but no one seems to want to cut me a break even though I spent $22,000 dollars at WyoTech. If anyone has any informatin pleas let me know.
Thank You,
Cesar Mata

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2003, 04:31 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

It doesn't matter how much you spent for one. Two...times are tough so hang in there for awhile longer. Attitude has everything to fo with it. You whine about buffing and cop an attitude I guarantee you will not go any farther. Do your job like it is the best job in the world, take pride in what you do, and you will be noticed. Is your truck finished? If not, get it finished. You have to show what you can do. Make your truck your calling card. I am a toolmaker. I've had others tell me that they can machine as well as me, but when they go to prove themselves most couldn't tie their own shoes. The bottom line is you have to prove yourself. No one is going to hand it to you.

Kevin
Old 08-26-2003, 09:15 AM

Thank for the reply

I know I came off sounding like I have an attitude problem, but I just wanted to get peoples responces. Trust me, I do take pride in what I do and when I was working at that body shop I didn't complain or whine I just did my job to the bet of my abilities. I guess not working is getting to me. What it really is, is that I feel more like a failure because I'm not doing anything and I would work my *** off if I would only get the chance. But like you said times are hard and I'll have to stick this one out. Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Could be worse, I spent 12 years as some sort of apprentice even though I was already a journeyman in other trades. All the training your receiving is valuable experience that you can apply later in your career. As for the $22 000, I have twice that in tools alone...it's part of the job.

Hang tight and stick it out a little longer, keep your eyes on the paper and learn all you can. You've only just begun.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:41 PM

what wyotec did you go to? was it the one in penn, or wyoming? my brother is going to the one in penn. he finishes in december. he already has a couple job he can get in florida. does it have to be in arizona, theres a whole nother world out there. good luck finding a job.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Cesar, I know its not what you want to hear, but your right where anyone starting out would be. It doesn't matter if you have a doctorite in auto body tech, you'll still get started at a lower level job in a shop. Just be thankful your not washing cars. The only way to move up faster is to take initiative and show them you can do something else very well, better or just as well as their own guy and they will start letting you do it. Life isn't about doing what you like, its doing what you don't like so you can do what you like. You have to take the bad with the good, otherwise everything would be out of balance.

HK
Old 08-26-2003, 04:49 PM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

I'm REALLY wanting to go to Wyotech when I graduate high school.Do they do a good job at teaching and all the goodies?

Jacob
Old 08-26-2003, 05:39 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it.
They do a pretty good job of teaching and giving you pointers, but the only problem is that there are so many students in one class that if you don't speak up or really pay attention you won't get too far. I could trully say that it was a great life experience and one that I won't soon forget. Good luck Jacob.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:07 PM
il enforcer

As many others suggested you have to hang in there. Yes you may hate buffing but it is better than not having a job. Show your boss you can do anything without complaining.

I was hired to run the service dept of a major appliance/electronics rental outfit. The first 2 months all I did was do pick up and delivery. Boring as heck but it was a job and my boss was willing to pay me more because he knew I would help out in other areas when needed.

When I used to hire staff I made them do crappy jobs at first just to see what they were made of.

My total tuition, books, supplies etc was more than 52K. I have purchased almost 60K worth of tools and do not have everything I want yet.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich

Last photo:

Hey Cezz, I live in the Silicon Valley. After the "boom" as we all call it here, jobs are scarce! You have to take a different tactic, heres what I say. Save up some $$ and take the body guys out to a club or a bar, get them WASTED!! one of them is bound not to show up in the morning! Then your boss will ask you to fill in, and that will be the most import job you ever did, dont be surprised if the boss asks you to fill in again, or if he fires your drunk ***** co worker!

Am I joking?
Maybe I am and Maybe I am...

Homer Simpson says
"if something is hard, maybe its not worth doing"
Old 08-27-2003, 05:16 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Rouge Body man From Wyotech

Go outlaw man. After hours advertise to go to peoples homes and knock down some extra dough fixing peoples stuff. You got your own tools, right?? Some people just need help wrenching. I waited two weeks for a guy to do some serious welding on my street rod. I don't play around when it comes to the suspension stuff and steering.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!
Old 10-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Chop Shop in Yuma, Az. ask for Troy.

C&C Auto also in Yuma. Ask for and only speak to Chris Beltron

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.