Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - X pipe or H pipe
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Dying stroker Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Straight from Flowmaster (and similar to what I've seen elsewhere when I researched for my '31). The bolding is mine.

"Is an "X" pipe better than and "H" pipe?

Not necessarily. Flowmaster has performed extensive dyno testing of traditional H pipes and various X pipe designs and has found that in most typical street applications, there are no clear benefits of one over the other. X pipes have become a buzz word in the world of performance exhaust, and are now produced in a wide variety of styles and designs. Some types perform well, and some others can be quite bad due to the excessive turbulence generated in the merge area. Unlike anything else available, Flowmasters Scavenger X-Pipe design features patented D-port technology to maximize the communication surface area between the two banks of cylinders, and maintain the exhaust pulse velocity for peak scavenging. In terms of sound, an X-pipe will generally provide a smoother, higher pitched tone than that of a traditional H crossover pipe. In some specialized race applications such as small cubic inch engines and /or restricted (small bore) carburetors, we have found that an X pipe can respond well over an H pipe. As with all race applications, there is no substitute for time on the dyno, developing the engine package as a system."
Hi Dave.
had an interesting drive home today in the 67. While driving down a gentle slope, after a short run to the supermarket, I lost ignition and coasted to a stop. Hmmmm.With nearly 2000 miles on the new 347 i am puzzled. With the gas tank on a quarter, and power to the coil, i can crank it over ( until i flattened the battery) with plenty of fuel squirting down the barrels and yet not even a fire from any plug. I am thinking the msd may have a problem in it so i will start there i think. I have 12v at the blaster 2 msd coil as well. Any thoughts Dave.
My wife towed me about 2 miles home with her corolla.
Cheers
Al.
Al.