x-pipe, h-pipe and other exhaust questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2003, 02:07 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

x-pipe, h-pipe and other exhaust questions

hi. i have a s10 with a small block conversion (283) thats mildly souped up. my current exhaust setup is dual exhaust that goes headers- 2 1/4" pipes- 2 1/2" dynomax bullet mufflers (the shortest ones i could buy)- 2 1/2" tail pipes straight out the back with 3 1/2" chrome tips. as you can see there is no h/x pipe crossover anywhere and im wondering how big of a difference this would make. how does it affect power and how does it change the sound? i know that an x-pipe is the better of the two options but since the 2 pipes run side by side very close together pretty much all the way back a pre-fabricated x-pipe would not slide right on, making it pretty hard to do. this would also make putting a pre-made h-pipe on just as hard but im thinking a decent exhaust guy could make one pretty easily so that is the route im probably going to have to take. is there another option?? how will the h pipe effect the power and sound compared to an x-pipe? will i notice a difference if i install one? also keep in mind that since the exhaust is nowhere near stock for this truck im going to have to install whatever i choose pretty much wherever it will fit, meaning i might not be able to install it in the 100% perfect spot. is it still worth it? one more question: would it be worth it getting my headers-mufflers piping redone to 2 1/2" to match the bigger tailpipes and make it the same diameter straight through or is it fine the way it is. if i did that how would it affect sound and power? thanks alot

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2003, 06:51 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

If you were running a high horsepower big block you would probably want an "X" pipe but for your application an "H" pipe will work just fine. In theory they work by helping scavenge exhaust gasses which helps relieve back pressure.

I doubt in your application you will notice much difference in performance but there will be a noticeable difference in exhaust sound. A crossover pipe will cut down the "Rap, Rap, Rap" sound dramatically. It won't quiet the exhaust any but will make it sound more like a "60's" muscle car than one of the old "50's" customs.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 11-24-2003, 11:22 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Try this site if you want to do a little reading.
http://hotrodders.com/search.php?s=&...by=&sortorder=
Old 11-24-2003, 02:37 PM

the general concensus seems to be that the x-pipe is far better than the h. some people seem to think that the h-pipe doesnt even do anything. is it worth putting it in?? should i just put it in as close to the headers as possible since with my application its going to be hard to put it in the perfect spot because of clearance issues. why would an h-pipe work fine for my application whereas an x-pipe would be recommended for a high horsepower big block?? thanks alot
Old 11-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Decadent pianoplayer

A little more info: X or H
Old 11-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by smlblcks10
why would an h-pipe work fine for my application whereas an x-pipe would be recommended for a high horsepower big block??
Simply because you're not running big horsepower and you would never notice the difference between the two. You stated the "H" pipe would fit better in your car anyway so there is no need to go through all the hassle to install an "X" pipe when for your application an "H" pipe will work just as well.

Centerline
Old 11-25-2003, 03:21 AM

ok i guess that does make sense. so basically your opinion is to just go with the h-pipe and the difference will pretty much be a less "raspy" sounding exhaust and maybe a small gain in bottom end? is the fact that the 2 pipes run parallel to each other fairly close together going to be a problem in installing one or should a reasonably qualified exhaust guy be able to get the job done? since i cant install it until maybe halfway back because of the way the pipes are built going to be a huge factor or will it matter much? and can you buy the t-pipe things to fabricate it or does it have to be made by an exhaust guy? thanks
Old 11-25-2003, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

You can purchase kits from Jegs or Summit for around $30. If you can weld you could do it yourself but any muffler shop should be able to install one in about a half hour.

Centerline

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.