xm radio problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

xm radio problem

I have the XM snap receiver, it uses a casstte player type of tape for transmitting the sound through the radio. The cassette will not stay in the radio, it keeps kicking the cassette out. I have 2 of these, it does the same with a brand new cassette. It will play a regular cassette tape with music so I don't think it is the radio. any ideas on what to do. I love this radio when going through the desert or over the Grapevine, redneck comedy keeps me awake. Do these cassettes need any rewinding or anything like this? I have only used the one cassette a total of maybe 6 hours. I spent an hour on Google, typed a bunch in one site and they wanted 19 bucks for an answer. Thanks, Dan

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

use a cassette adapter with a portable CD player or MP3 player and see if it does the same thing.. tape adapters do not work in every player/ radio. Very uncommon but some radios have a break- eject feature in which, if the tape in the cassette snaps and the spindles free wheel, it will eject to prevent damage. Most are happy if there is somthing playing thru the read head, but being yours will play tapes but not the adapter, it could have the break-eject feature and auto eject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

thanks for the quick reply, matt. This is the type that the receiver plugs into the cigarette lighter, then a receiver tape cassette looking thing plugs into the cassette player. Any ideas as to how to make this work, it worked fine a week ago, I have tried rewinding, is there any tricks to making them work? Do these cassette heads have any tape in them or is it just a receiver head? My wife bellyaches about the monthly charge, she just paid for a year and I would like to be able to use this unit. I have an 02 Toyota Tacoma, is here any plug-ins in the back of the radio I could plug the regular wire into? We bought the cassette deal cuz it looked EASY...lol. I'll see if I can plug it into my boombox at home this weekend, i am in S. Cal. this week. Thanks, Dan
Old 08-23-2011, 01:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have no direct expierience with the XM Snap Receiver, but if it's like this one in the following link, there is a built-in FM transmitter, so you can just find a clear FM frequency on your stereo and set your XM to transmit on that frequency. That's how I do it with my older XM unit, and my iPod.

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...vers/snap.html

Hope this helps....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
I have no direct expierience with the XM Snap Receiver, but if it's like this one in the following link, there is a built-in FM transmitter, so you can just find a clear FM frequency on your stereo and set your XM to transmit on that frequency. That's how I do it with my older XM unit, and my iPod.

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...vers/snap.html

Hope this helps....

Thanks joe but I have a different set-up. There is a wire that goes from the receiver, which plugs into the cig lighter for power, into a cassette that plugs into the cassette player in the radio to make the music go through the radio. The cassette keeps kicking out like it is done or broke. I did get the wiring to hook to the radio but will have to pull the radio to do this and was hoping the cassette would work ok, which it did fr a couple of weeks but no more....
Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I guess I figured it out, the cassette plays like a regular cassette although there is no "tape" in it for sound. It had to be rewound, but first I put a regular cassette, Pink Floyd" in the player to make sure it worked. Then I plugged in the tuner cassette, rewound it and everything worked again. Thanks for the ideas guys, it steered me in the right direction.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.