Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Y block distributor w/edelbrock carb (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/y-block-distributor-w-edelbrock-carb-145054.html)

shamtastic 09-13-2008 02:56 PM

Y block distributor w/edelbrock carb

My distributor is missing the cap on my 312 y block. The intake is a 4 bbl which I have put a edelbrock carb w/ and adapter plate. My question is, where can I find a cap to fit this distributor, and I have heard that I will have problems with the stock distributor unless I use an original carb.
thanks for your time

oldbogie 09-13-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shamtastic
My distributor is missing the cap on my 312 y block. The intake is a 4 bbl which I have put a edelbrock carb w/ and adapter plate. My question is, where can I find a cap to fit this distributor, and I have heard that I will have problems with the stock distributor unless I use an original carb.
thanks for your time

Best I can tell there's still plenty of Y-Block distributor caps around, a bit pricey, but available.

What kind of problems with the stock distributor and the stock carb?

There are different distributors in different years, so what is the year of this thing? The 56 and earlier engines used a balanced vacuum distributor for advancing the spark. The 57 uses a centrifugal advance with a simple vacuum advance. The 57 is easier to work with and is not carb sensitive. Earlier models require a carb with unique passages that transfer the vacuum signal from manifold to venturi as the throttle position changes. The 57 distributor can be retrofitted to earlier engines.

Bogie

shamtastic 09-13-2008 03:31 PM

Its a 56 from a Tbird mounted in a 56 F100. My Uncle gave me a Edelbrock carb, that fits on the studs, but doesnt line up right. Otherwise. I found an adapter plate for modern carbs, that makes it all line up correctly. The throttle linkage from the truck doesnt seem to line up correctly though...

oldbogie 09-13-2008 03:38 PM

Quote:

Its a 56 from a Tbird mounted in a 56 F100

If original, this would be the balanced vacuum distributor, so it will need a matching carb. I would consider a new distributor. This can be a rebuilt starting with 1957 thru the end of 292 production, any of these should work. That will get you around having to keep the original carb.

If someone changed the distributor out for a later model centrifugal then you're good to go. Fords hide the mechanism under the points plate, so you have to look there for counterweights and spring. Also the rotor shaft is movable by finger pressure, if an lid style vacuum unit the upper shaft will be ridged or at least as much as age allows. Both housings will have a vacuum canister, so that doesn't help a lot with identification.

Bogie

Irelands child 09-13-2008 03:53 PM

Rock Auto (internet) parts says that Ford caps, '57-'76 are the same. They go from $4.19 to $17.90 depending on level of quality. You need a rotor as well and they are from $2.73 to $4.74.

If it's a '56 motor, well they are the same from '49 to '53 and are a bit more expensive - $13.53 to $15.18

shamtastic 09-13-2008 03:54 PM

Are there any distributors made today, or one I can order online? Or will I have to troll ebay for a 57.

redlightning 09-13-2008 05:07 PM

Quote:

Are there any distributors made today, or one I can order online? Or will I have to troll ebay for a 57.

Yes,You can even get a MSD for a Y block. :thumbup:

GREENBIRD56 09-13-2008 11:55 PM

Y-block Distributor

Go to your "favorite" autoparts vendor .....NAPA, Autozone etc. - and tell the counter person you want a replacement distributor for a '64 292 cid F-100 truck.

That should get you a dizzy with mechanical advance, points and a vacuum advance can that runs on straight (or ported) manifold vacuum. If you can find a junker to trade in it will save a core charge. Assuming your '56 dizzy is really from a t-bird it will have a mechanical tach drive - don't use it as a core! You can sell it for enough to do many more good things for your truck.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...ASTVERSION.jpg This is the one you want - it has a three-lobed stem under the main housing.

JeffB 09-14-2008 12:23 AM

312??

You might want to go to www.yblocksforever.com and check the codes on the block and heads and the intake,I have a gut feeling this is an earlier 292 not a 312,in fact Google the casting number on the intake and see what comes up.A lot of folks make this mistake because '56 Ford 292's had Thunderbird Special decals on the valve covers.The engine block code is located behind the starter part of the number will be 6015.

shamtastic 09-14-2008 02:34 AM

All sounds like good advice. My grandfather bought the truck (56 F100 Custom) in 57. It had a 272 in it. Something happened to the 272 in the 70's and my grandfather gave it to my dad. My dad got the current powerplant from his cousin and rebuilt it and had it bored out, new cam put in etc... The guys who bored it were the ones who told him it was (he cant remember the current cid) a 312. That was in '78. in '80 he left the country till 1993 so it sat on blocks inside a garage till 2002, when I was in high school and flushed it, cleaned the gas tank etc... Somewhere between 80 and 1993 someone had taken the carb. I joined the army in 03, got out this year. Now its my turn :)

GREENBIRD56 09-14-2008 09:08 AM

Intake Manifold Number

The early four barrel manifold is a "-9425-A" and the late version for the 4160 Holley base is "-9425-B". If you already had to use an adapter to get the Edelbrock carb on (which would match the later base) chances are its the earlier manfold.

Its cast in a stripe of numbers facing up, across the back of the manifold just behind the carb base. You will want to figure out the cylinder heads too - if you want this motor to run hard (which they can). Aside from getting to know the guys at "Y-blocks Forever" - take a look at Johm Mummerts web site and graze a bit.

www.ford-y-block.com/perfpart.htm

red65mustang 09-14-2008 09:35 AM

sham,
I totally agree with greenbird....

the fully rebuilt (lifetime warranty) dist he is recommending is only about $50-$70 (no core) at your local store and includes new points and condensor

http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...tNumber=302808

it doesn't take much wear at all in the dist body (advance plate and bearings and gear) for a dist to act up...
you don't know the history on your dist so it will cost $50 to have it Sun dist machine tested (and repaired) to know that it is working correct....

slim chance that it is the original vac operated dist but if it is(!!!!) sell it on e-bay...T-bird guys are as nuts as Vettes guys for "correct number matching"

you need to know for absolute sure the dist is working and set correct before you start sorting out the carb

shamtastic 09-14-2008 01:22 PM

If I could post pictures, would it help? I have some of the intake, and I will get some of the distributor.
So, the part that 65 mustang liked to me will work? If so, Ill buy it.

I should add... I guess I am mechanically inclined, but am not even anything close to a mechanic. I bougt a shop manual for the engine, one for the truck, and a guide to rebuilding yblocks. Im sort of figuring it out from there.

GREENBIRD56 09-14-2008 11:23 PM

Distributor Id

The Cardone photo shows an "early" post '57 distributor - has those concentric rings on the base stem. The one I posted earlier is the "late" Y service part from the sixties - and has the sixties /seventies Ford advance mechanism. It has a "three lobed" base stem without the concentric rings. The later service version looks like it belongs in a 289 or 351 - but has the Y oil pump drive stem and cam gear.

The distributor with the concentric rings will work fine - but the later version can be easily converted to the Ford electronic ignition trigger (Duraspark II) and is more friendly to "re-curve" to get better performance.

red65mustang 09-15-2008 09:26 AM

don't judge by the picture alone...

especially for older cars parts,,,,, the pictures are a "representation only" on most/all of the local auto parts stores sites...
(look up any specific 292/312 dist on that Advance Auto site and the pic' is the same with just a different part #)

the link I posted is the Cardone part # for a 64' 292 F-100.....

sham,
here's a link to the complete operations/tuning/trouble shooting pretty easy to digest Edie carb manual...

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ers_manual.pdf

hey greenbird,
I do chuckle everytime I recall the thread awhile back when we all helped the "fella's with a 57'" back fire problem....everything about that thread was as hoot!....us and them!