Ye old 7.5 pinion seal replacement trick :( - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Ye old 7.5 pinion seal replacement trick :(

Hey Guys I'm Vinny. I am having a problem and I believe y'all can help. I have a 94 Pontiac Trans am that has a rear end leak around the pinion seal. I decided to replace just the seal so I removed the drive shaft took my drimel tool and "marked" the pinion and nut so I would reinstall to the same place. I replaced the seal and when I went to reinstall the yoke it doesn't seem to go in far enough. I put the washer on and then the nut I tightened the nut down and aligned the marks. It was harder to tighten than it was to remove and it appeared to me that it needed a whole nother turn. I try ed to turn it but it wouldn't go. You could grab the yoke and there is a good amount of play, more than before. I reinstalled the drive shaft and drove it around the neighborhood carefully and I noticed a slight howl. Something isn't right. I took the drive shaft back out and the yoke back out. There is something about 3/8" to 1/2" behind the seal like a spacer or bearing. What is it? Have I ruined the crush sleeve by tightening on down on it. I need some help guys.

Vinny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 05:39 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Most of the time the pinion seal starts leaking because of a bad pinion bearing or the nut was loose. Did you check to see if the pinion had any movement in it before you removed the nut? If there was any movement other than rotation then you have a bigger problem than a bad seal. The outer pinion bearing is directly behind the seal and the crush spacer is behind the outer bearing. If you over crushed the spacer then you will have to completely disassemble the rear end to replace the spacer and reset the pinion bearing preload.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.