The year the muscle car ended? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2007, 06:09 PM
Deviant AMC Guy

Last journal entry: Hauling it home from Dixie.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The year the muscle car ended?

The year the muscle car ended?

Hot August Nights is just around the corner and once again I’m more than a bit irritated. The cut-off for entry is 72 and older vehicles. I’ve emailed them about moving up the cut-off but they respond the with “We had (name redacted) research the last of the muscle car and 1972 was it.” I realize that a lot of people feel the smog era ended the muscle car era. What I fail to understand is why this precludes cars after 72 from participating. This is the criterion:

“To participate with your car in Official Hot August Nights car activities (Nightly Cruising, Show-n-Shines, Daily Show-n-Shined, Parade, Poker Run) your car must be registered through Hot August Nights. The Event is only open to registered vehicles that are 1972 and older American Cars and Pickup Size Trucks, Emergency Vehicles plus European Classics that fall under the above stated criteria.”

This makes a Nash Metropolitan, a bone stock Model T or any other car or truck manufactured before 72 eligible. Correct me if I am wrong but neither are “Muscle Cars”. My understanding “Muscle Cars” were from about 1963 to 1972 when the last of the non-smog cars rolled off the line.

My irritation comes from them allowing 50 years of vehicles prior to 63, many of which would not be close to “Muscle Car” status without some serious work under the hood. Why do they use "Muscle Car" as the cut off. It would be one thing to say the cut off is "72" because we do not feel anything after this date should participate but they choose to use the "Muscle Car" criterion but allowing plenty of non-muscle cars to participate.

Okay I’m done whining. Go ahead and start flaming away

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Want my unbiased opinion?....Didn't think so, but here it is.........A muscle car is a small or intermediate sized car that has a Big Block in it........pre 72........as, even the big blocks sucked after that......from the factory anyways.............

Budget RVs
Old 03-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

post 70-71 is when it died. heavy smogger regulations.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Last journal entry: Another alternator bracket change
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Be patient. They will advance the year and/or change the name when they realise they can make more money by admitting more cars. It worked for Good Guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfeverfred
Be patient. They will advance the year and/or change the name when they realise they can make more money by admitting more cars. It worked for Good Guys.

Exactly.....

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.