Year old Nason Ful-Thane cut and buff - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Year old Nason Ful-Thane cut and buff

I have a car that was sprayed last September with Nason Ful-Thane single stage urethane (solid color). It has been stored inside since being painted. The paint job came out glassy smooth but I have some dirt and dust nibs in the paint. My question is what grit should I sand it with to remove the nibs. I don't need to change the texture, I just need to get the nibs out. Would I start with 2000 wet and then proceed to a wool pad and 3m A rubbing compound or jump right to a foam pad and 3m B machine polish I sprayed 4 coats with a Devilbiss GFG670, just in case there was orange peel so there is plenty of paint, but painting outside does have its disadvantages.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Without being able to see and feel the car, I would recommend you start with 1500 on a small hard block to remove the dust nibs. Once those are removed you can sand the entire panel with the following grit moving up in 500 grit increments. I usually wet sand to 2500 by hand with blocks, then switch to a 3000 trizact wet on a DA/RO sander. Then buff as normal. I am hearing good things about the new trizact 5000, but have not tried them yet. You may need to use 1000-1200 on the dust but you will have to try a few things and see what works best for you. I recommend starting fine and then getting more coarse if you need to. That way you don't have a lot of work you don't need.

Again since I can't see the panels this is just a general suggestion that should give you a starting point. I would try this on a small area first to find what will work best for you before you do the whole car. Hope this helps and good luck with it.

Kelly
Old 11-17-2013, 07:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

unfortunately I wanted to try the trizac da paper but it costs about 6.00 a sheet so I skip that part and do everything just like carolina does and start buffing after 2,500 wet if you can find 3,000 wet that'll save you some buffing time. What color are you buffing ?being that the paint is a year old you may be in for some work its much easier to buff when fresh.. a week or so.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 AM

I tried 2000 wet with a hard rubber pad. It takes a while to get a uniform pattern (I am using a spray bottle with Dawn as a lube). After sanding 3m cutting compound on a foam cutting pad, 3m polishing compound on foam polishing pad and then 3m polishing compound on a black pad. It is slow going but it looks great. In my earlier post I stated that there was no texture.... Well when I started sanding with the 2000 grit and the hard rubber 3m pad I was amazed at the texture that was there, it's not much but what I thought was perfectly flat was not!
Old 11-17-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoses View Post
I tried 2000 wet with a hard rubber pad. It takes a while to get a uniform pattern (I am using a spray bottle with Dawn as a lube). After sanding 3m cutting compound on a foam cutting pad, 3m polishing compound on foam polishing pad and then 3m polishing compound on a black pad. It is slow going but it looks great. In my earlier post I stated that there was no texture.... Well when I started sanding with the 2000 grit and the hard rubber 3m pad I was amazed at the texture that was there, it's not much but what I thought was perfectly flat was not!
Try first cut with 1,500 then 2,000 it'll go much fasterafter sanding use a squeegie to wipe the water off and it'll show what you missed and what you didnt this way you wont be sanding spots that are already sanded enough..
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 AM

Last photo:

Follow DBM's advice and try using 1500 on an area and then go to 2000, then 2500. If that buffs out ok then use that method. If you have trouble getting the scratches out, then try to find 3000 grit wet paper, or spring for the Trizact pads. They are expensive, but 2-3 will do the whole car, so $12-$18 would definitely save you a lot of time buffing and a lot of compound as well. The last 3M products I used were not very aggressive at all. If you don't want to spend for the Trizact, there are similar products out there, Mirka makes an Abralon pad that is very similar, Klingspor offers something similar, and Sunmight has a product that is similar and only about $2 each.

Kelly
Old 11-18-2013, 06:42 AM

Hey Kelly,I didnt know it only took 2-3 sheets that makes it sound much better.Do they go directly on the DA pad or is there another pad that goes on first? Black seems to be giving me some grief even with the 2500 I may give them a try myself...I seems just about everyone likes the trizac paper
Old 11-18-2013, 07:44 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

taking it all the way to 5000 will more than pay for its self in saved time . one to two pads will do a whole car. use the foam interface pad . i do not use 3m. haven't for many years since the finessit came out . i use chemicalguys . just tried the new Vseries and it is pretty awesome .
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

DBMS like shine said you can use a foam interface pad with the trizact paper but I have seen some that were about a 1/4 thick with foam already on them. I haven't tried the 5000 yet but the finer the scratch the faster the buffing. I have just got the V series from Chem guys and love it so far. I already have almost $200 more of their stuff on order lol.

Kelly
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i spent some time on the phone with them reeming them about dropping the old CG line as it was what i recommended . they promised i would like the new line . yeah right , heard that from 3m years ago when they started the finessit crap. so i ordered a sample pack. i must admit i was skeptical but it is awesome stuff . the clarity of the piece after polish is noticeably different than with my presta. it has a wet look to it.
glad you like it. i've bought from them for over 20 years. always running special too !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to shine For This Useful Post:
carolinacustoms (11-18-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Alright then I'm sold... I'm so tired of buffing black its not funny I've had 5 black cars in a row I just spent 250 on prestas compounds and pads and still having trouble I have one more black car to cut and buff and I'm not even going to start it untill I get my order here from Chem guys with any luck I'll be posting how great it is too ...
Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

If you just want to try their stuff DBM they have a trial kit for the V series for $20. I would recommend their buffing pads too. I don't know what kind you are using but the hex logic pads are great. I tried a spot on a black hood earlier, sanded with 2000 wet and used the V series compounds with yellow and black foam pads. No swirls or scratches at all. I think yellow for the V32, orange for the V34, white for the V36, and blue or black for the V38 would be a good combination. I used it on the mustang and went to 2500 wet then used a 3000 grit DA foam pad wet. It is literally glass, as soon as you hit it with the buffer it comes right out with no scratches or swirls. I love the compounds and the pads. I want to try the lake country pads next time I order from them, but I have no complaints with the hexlogic pads either. I also recommend their pad lubricant, I think it really helps, and even if it doesn't it smells great. Thanks to this forum, my life has gotten a LOT easier with SPI and Chem guys. Thanks to Shine and the others that helped me find those resources.

Kelly
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 AM

Good God ,I just went to the chem guys site and holy crap theres a lot of stuff there I'm a bit confused so heres a few questions....keeping in mind I'll be cutting and buffing SPI black SS with SPI universal clear over it...

I'd like to try sanding to 5000 but lets say for now 2500 is what I'll be buffing this way I'll still have everything I need...

I have the color coded pads that presta use they look exactly like lake country pads they're in good shape so..... should I buy new pads along with the new compounds ? if so what colors do I need ?

Chem guys has a ton of compounds what compounds do I need from start to finish?

I'm sure I can ask chem guys all this when I call but I dont want a bunch of stuff I dont really need..
Old 11-19-2013, 06:47 AM

Last photo:

DBM I would recommend the V series compounds. If you are doing a hood or something the sample pack would be plenty and let you know if you like it and want more. If doing a whole car you would need bigger bottles but I think it is reasonably priced. The pads you have should work. I use a yellow foam for 32, orange for 34, white for 36, and black or blue for 38 but you could likely get by with yellow and black or blue.
Swirl Removers, Compounds, and Polishes Heavy Duty, Medium Duty, Light Duty Auto Detailing Polishing Compounds
Shine can probably offer better advice he has been using them for a longer time than me but I hope this will help you get started

Kelly
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

mike , order the sample pack of Vseries compounds. the lake country pads are great. the small holes in them tend to hold the compound better . much of cg stuff is for detailing . i use the orange pad , white pad and the black pad. there are a couple of videos on there that will help figure out what to order .
the numbers help to get it in order how to use. i pretty much use the orange pad and black pad. keeping the foam pads rinsed make a huge difference especially on black. any build up will scratch . i rinse after every 3rd application of compound. it only takes a little each time .

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.