Hot Rod Forum banner

Yellow superbee done

3K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  mr4speed 
#1 ·
will take more pics when the stickers are added. I think it's a 71 maybe?
This started out as a stolen recovery but we talked him into a little 10k cheapie job. Quick turnaround...block the existing paint, spot fill, prime, block, done. It's pretty straight but the painter should have knocked a little more peel off of it.

while I'm at it...check this beauty out. This was my "coming out party" car so to speak. Complete frame off restoration. It wins first prize at every car show it's been at. 1947 Hudson Commodore straight 8.

See less See more
#2 ·
This started out as a stolen recovery but we talked him into a little 10k cheapie job. Quick turnaround...block the existing paint, spot fill, prime, block, done. It's pretty straight but the painter should have knocked a little more peel off of it.

Yeah tech69...that painter should be fired for leaving that much peel on it. LOL, either your camera makes paint look way better than you make it out to be or that painter of yours did a more than a respectable job...if that car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, pat that painter on the back, the car looks great.

#4 ·
he's the new painter. Great guy but is used to production buffing. Didn't sand up to the edges, didn't buff it to a shine enough, little pigtails from the trizac, but it's a forgiving color. Boss wants us to pick his work apart at the moment so before we left we were raping his work-lol The old man was picking apart more than me but I reminded him of he current temps. So far so good with this guy and the boss will just relay back to him what we say to keep things cool at the start.
I don't want to come across as a jerk or start a rift...but...I suppose I look at things a little differently and I'll be the first guy to accept constructive critisism. I also appreciate that the boss wants staff with more tenure to be critical of the new painter's work. I'm also sure that the new painter needs to become accustomed to perhaps new and different ways that the shop he's working at now does things and I don't know how many hours of polishing he has in the job and what it looked like before he did his buffing "magic". There are a lot of unknown's for me and everybody else that reads posts and looks at pictures on this forum.

I look at it this way, if I was the painter and I happened to read the 2 post's that where put up...I don't know, I think I'd be a little POed. Hey, the car looks great...even though it was a "10 K cheapie". If the boss wants the long term staff to critique the new guys work, that's great. I'm sure the boss and the painter would appreciate a positive critisism with a solution attached. I always worked better when I was the new guy and the more experienced guy took me aside and told me what a potential problem was and how to fix it.

I try and put myself in other peoples shoes and try to anticipate how they might react to what I say and do. As you mentioned earlier, the boss wants you and others with the knowledge and experience that you have to keep an eye on the new guy. The new painter is under pressure already because he is new and it's obvious from the pictures that you've posted in this thread and others that you and the shop team you work with put out quality work, it shows...again, the car looks great...my suggestion would be to maybe keep what the boss wants, with respect to the new painter, in the shop. Please don't be offended, but, if the painter was posting on this site and mentioned (as you did) that the body work could have been straighter...I don't know, everybody is different, but for me, if I say it, it's one thing, if somebody else says it...especially on a public forum...it's another.

Just thinking of the ramifications if the painter happened to read these comments...and hopefully you understand that this is friendly advice. The new painter has talent, that's obvious, you mentioned he's a great guy, that's a bonus, the boss respects you enough to critique his work, that shows your respected...the car looks great, the painter had a hand in that. You never know who reads these threads. Last month, an old friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in a few years phoned me and asked if it was me that was posting on this forum...he said "he recognized my voice by the way I wrote".

Not trying to offend, just suggesting.

Best to you in this Holiday Season.

Ray

#3 ·

Yeah tech69...that painter should be fired for leaving that much peel on it. LOL, either your camera makes paint look way better than you make it out to be or that painter of yours did a more than a respectable job...if that car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, pat that painter on the back, the car looks great.
he's the new painter. Great guy but is used to production buffing. Didn't sand up to the edges, didn't buff it to a shine enough, little pigtails from the trizac, but it's a forgiving color. Boss wants us to pick his work apart at the moment so before we left we were raping his work-lol The old man was picking apart more than me but I reminded him of he current temps. So far so good with this guy and the boss will just relay back to him what we say to keep things cool at the start.

#5 ·
I don't want to come across as a jerk or start a rift...but...I suppose I look at things a little differently and I'll be the first guy to accept constructive critisism. I also appreciate that the boss wants staff with more tenure to be critical of the new painter's work. I'm also sure that the new painter needs to become accustomed to perhaps new and different ways that the shop he's working at now does things and I don't know how many hours of polishing he has in the job and what it looked like before he did his buffing "magic". There are a lot of unknown's for me and everybody else that reads posts and looks at pictures on this forum.

I look at it this way, if I was the painter and I happened to read the 2 post's that where put up...I don't know, I think I'd be a little POed. Hey, the car looks great...even though it was a "10 K cheapie". If the boss wants the long term staff to critique the new guys work, that's great. I'm sure the boss and the painter would appreciate a positive critisism with a solution attached. I always worked better when I was the new guy and the more experienced guy took me aside and told me what a potential problem was and how to fix it.

I try and put myself in other peoples shoes and try to anticipate how they might react to what I say and do. As you mentioned earlier, the boss wants you and others with the knowledge and experience that you have to keep an eye on the new guy. The new painter is under pressure already because he is new and it's obvious from the pictures that you've posted in this thread and others that you and the shop team you work with put out quality work, it shows...again, the car looks great...my suggestion would be to maybe keep what the boss wants, with respect to the new painter, in the shop. Please don't be offended, but, if the painter was posting on this site and mentioned (as you did) that the body work could have been straighter...I don't know, everybody is different, but for me, if I say it, it's one thing, if somebody else says it...especially on a public forum...it's another.

Just thinking of the ramifications if the painter happened to read these comments...and hopefully you understand that this is friendly advice. The new painter has talent, that's obvious, you mentioned he's a great guy, that's a bonus, the boss respects you enough to critique his work, that shows your respected...the car looks great, the painter had a hand in that. You never know who reads these threads. Last month, an old friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in a few years phoned me and asked if it was me that was posting on this forum...he said "he recognized my voice by the way I wrote".

Not trying to offend, just suggesting.

Best to you in this Holiday Season.

Ray
you're right. I think honesty is the best route, anything else is deceptive, but I need to think about being TOO honest. Anyhow, if any mods are out there can you erase this entire thread and I'll re-post it, please?

#9 ·
Hey Tech69, the car looks good. What colour is that? I've been looking for a yellow to paint my truck when it's done (llong way to go yet, just started on it again after a year or 2 of other things getting in the way) Looking for something lighter than "Corvette yellow" but want it to look non-stock. Do you have any pictures of the car in daylight? Thanks!

#12 ·
I looked at my 1971 PPG color chips and the only thing that I found that was close to the pictures on Tech 69's post was Dodge paint code Y1...PPG mixing # 2211, color name Top Bannana Yellow (explains the green hue...but then it's freshly painted, it might turn black in a week or two...LOL). Maybe Tech 69 can correct me but this is the best information I have.

To me it looks a little darker than the Corvette Yellow of that era and does have a Yellow toner or 2 that go to the green side.

I still love all those 60's, 70's era monochromatic colors...they are different and would stand today like they did back then.

Hope this helps.

Ray

#15 ·
My 42 year old chip books leave a little to be desired as well, it's amazing that the chips actually are starting to look faded. Recently I looked at a red from 1930 for a customer of mine and when I showed him the chip, he said no that wasn't it, when I mixed a little for him he said it was bang on, maybe ask the painter, I'll bet he knows the paint code.

The body style is 71 and up, hard to tell the exact year without it put together and then did the guy who owns it go with the original color?

Ray

#18 ·
For 1972 a new color, Dodge paint code Y2, PPG mixing # 81574 Color Name, Sunfire Yellow. It's even greener and lighter than the Y1 code. Tech 69, if you could take pictures outside in the sun, that would help a lot for color, always hard to match a color to a chip, even harder over the internet and faded chips. LOL

Thanks
Ray

#22 · (Edited)
Looks a lot like sublime green to me from the pics. It may be a shade lighter or darker in person than it is showing in the photos. Mopar used to use a lot of the same colors and just named them different for dodge and plymouth, such as panther pink is the same as moulin rouge. FY1 was called lemon twist or top banana which is probably that particular color. Considering that the paint job was only a 10K job I am quite sure that the painter did the best he could do on that car. I really don't know how your shop operates as far as the pay goes and how much time that your allowed to spent on a certain job versus how much money you will make. I do know for me I am sure not going to spend the same amount of hours cutting and buffing a 10K job versus a 30K job, after all why should the guy who is spending less get the same as the guy paying what it is really worth? And I know your shop turns out top notch work for what I have seen here, so I am sure you understand what I am saying. I get myself in some bad situations for this exact reason. The GTX I had posted a while back that I tried to help a friend out with doing him a favor more than myself. He honastly expected that 30K paintjob for less than 5K and made sure that I knew he was not happy. Now I did cut and buff that car, but not the way I usually do it that is for sure just because I could not spend the time needed to do a "super" buff. So what I can see in those pics that car looks damn good for what was spent to do it, so see what this guy can do on a big buck job that is when you should be able to see what he can really do. By the way that 47 hudson looks real nice and I am sure that is not an easy car to do, pat your self on the back for that one!!!!

#23 ·
Looks a lot like sublime green to me from the pics. It may be a shade lighter or darker in person than it is showing in the photos. Mopar used to use a lot of the same colors and just named them different for dodge and plymouth, such as panther pink is the same as moulin rouge. FY1 was called lemon twist or top banana which is probably that particular color. Considering that the paint job was only a 10K job I am quite sure that the painter did the best he could do on that car. I really don't know how your shop operates as far as the pay goes and how much time that your allowed to spent on a certain job versus how much money you will make. I do know for me I am sure not going to spend the same amount of hours cutting and buffing a 10K job versus a 30K job, after all why should the guy who is spending less get the same as the guy paying what it is really worth? And I know your shop turns out top notch work for what I have seen here, so I am sure you understand what I am saying. I get myself in some bad situations for this exact reason. The GTX I had posted a while back that I tried to help a friend out with doing him a favor more than myself. He honastly expected that 30K paintjob for less than 5K and made sure that I knew he was not happy. Now I did cut and buff that car, but not the way I usually do it that is for sure just because I could not spend the time needed to do a "super" buff. So what I can see in those pics that car looks damn good for what was spent to do it, so see what this guy can do on a big buck job that is when you should be able to see what he can really do.
or a car that's black. We got faith.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.