Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Yellow superbee done (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/yellow-superbee-done-227415.html)

tech69 12-21-2012 12:53 AM

Yellow superbee done
 
will take more pics when the stickers are added. I think it's a 71 maybe?
This started out as a stolen recovery but we talked him into a little 10k cheapie job. Quick turnaround...block the existing paint, spot fill, prime, block, done. It's pretty straight but the painter should have knocked a little more peel off of it.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120962.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120959.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120958.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...h/P1120957.jpg

while I'm at it...check this beauty out. This was my "coming out party" car so to speak. Complete frame off restoration. It wins first prize at every car show it's been at. 1947 Hudson Commodore straight 8.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...81545170_o.jpg
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...40269097_n.jpg

69 widetrack 12-21-2012 07:21 AM

[QUOTE=tech69;1625411]This started out as a stolen recovery but we talked him into a little 10k cheapie job. Quick turnaround...block the existing paint, spot fill, prime, block, done. It's pretty straight but the painter should have knocked a little more peel off of it.

Yeah tech69...that painter should be fired for leaving that much peel on it. LOL, either your camera makes paint look way better than you make it out to be or that painter of yours did a more than a respectable job...if that car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, pat that painter on the back, the car looks great.

tech69 12-21-2012 07:49 AM

[quote=69 widetrack;1625458]
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1625411)
This started out as a stolen recovery but we talked him into a little 10k cheapie job. Quick turnaround...block the existing paint, spot fill, prime, block, done. It's pretty straight but the painter should have knocked a little more peel off of it.

Yeah tech69...that painter should be fired for leaving that much peel on it. LOL, either your camera makes paint look way better than you make it out to be or that painter of yours did a more than a respectable job...if that car looks as good in person as it does in the pictures, pat that painter on the back, the car looks great.

he's the new painter. Great guy but is used to production buffing. Didn't sand up to the edges, didn't buff it to a shine enough, little pigtails from the trizac, but it's a forgiving color. Boss wants us to pick his work apart at the moment so before we left we were raping his work-lol The old man was picking apart more than me but I reminded him of he current temps. So far so good with this guy and the boss will just relay back to him what we say to keep things cool at the start.

69 widetrack 12-21-2012 08:31 AM

[quote=tech69;1625466]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1625458)

he's the new painter. Great guy but is used to production buffing. Didn't sand up to the edges, didn't buff it to a shine enough, little pigtails from the trizac, but it's a forgiving color. Boss wants us to pick his work apart at the moment so before we left we were raping his work-lol The old man was picking apart more than me but I reminded him of he current temps. So far so good with this guy and the boss will just relay back to him what we say to keep things cool at the start.

I don't want to come across as a jerk or start a rift...but...I suppose I look at things a little differently and I'll be the first guy to accept constructive critisism. I also appreciate that the boss wants staff with more tenure to be critical of the new painter's work. I'm also sure that the new painter needs to become accustomed to perhaps new and different ways that the shop he's working at now does things and I don't know how many hours of polishing he has in the job and what it looked like before he did his buffing "magic". There are a lot of unknown's for me and everybody else that reads posts and looks at pictures on this forum.

I look at it this way, if I was the painter and I happened to read the 2 post's that where put up...I don't know, I think I'd be a little POed. Hey, the car looks great...even though it was a "10 K cheapie". If the boss wants the long term staff to critique the new guys work, that's great. I'm sure the boss and the painter would appreciate a positive critisism with a solution attached. I always worked better when I was the new guy and the more experienced guy took me aside and told me what a potential problem was and how to fix it.

I try and put myself in other peoples shoes and try to anticipate how they might react to what I say and do. As you mentioned earlier, the boss wants you and others with the knowledge and experience that you have to keep an eye on the new guy. The new painter is under pressure already because he is new and it's obvious from the pictures that you've posted in this thread and others that you and the shop team you work with put out quality work, it shows...again, the car looks great...my suggestion would be to maybe keep what the boss wants, with respect to the new painter, in the shop. Please don't be offended, but, if the painter was posting on this site and mentioned (as you did) that the body work could have been straighter...I don't know, everybody is different, but for me, if I say it, it's one thing, if somebody else says it...especially on a public forum...it's another.

Just thinking of the ramifications if the painter happened to read these comments...and hopefully you understand that this is friendly advice. The new painter has talent, that's obvious, you mentioned he's a great guy, that's a bonus, the boss respects you enough to critique his work, that shows your respected...the car looks great, the painter had a hand in that. You never know who reads these threads. Last month, an old friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in a few years phoned me and asked if it was me that was posting on this forum...he said "he recognized my voice by the way I wrote".

Not trying to offend, just suggesting.

Best to you in this Holiday Season.

Ray

tech69 12-21-2012 09:16 AM

[quote=69 widetrack;1625483]
Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1625466)

I don't want to come across as a jerk or start a rift...but...I suppose I look at things a little differently and I'll be the first guy to accept constructive critisism. I also appreciate that the boss wants staff with more tenure to be critical of the new painter's work. I'm also sure that the new painter needs to become accustomed to perhaps new and different ways that the shop he's working at now does things and I don't know how many hours of polishing he has in the job and what it looked like before he did his buffing "magic". There are a lot of unknown's for me and everybody else that reads posts and looks at pictures on this forum.

I look at it this way, if I was the painter and I happened to read the 2 post's that where put up...I don't know, I think I'd be a little POed. Hey, the car looks great...even though it was a "10 K cheapie". If the boss wants the long term staff to critique the new guys work, that's great. I'm sure the boss and the painter would appreciate a positive critisism with a solution attached. I always worked better when I was the new guy and the more experienced guy took me aside and told me what a potential problem was and how to fix it.

I try and put myself in other peoples shoes and try to anticipate how they might react to what I say and do. As you mentioned earlier, the boss wants you and others with the knowledge and experience that you have to keep an eye on the new guy. The new painter is under pressure already because he is new and it's obvious from the pictures that you've posted in this thread and others that you and the shop team you work with put out quality work, it shows...again, the car looks great...my suggestion would be to maybe keep what the boss wants, with respect to the new painter, in the shop. Please don't be offended, but, if the painter was posting on this site and mentioned (as you did) that the body work could have been straighter...I don't know, everybody is different, but for me, if I say it, it's one thing, if somebody else says it...especially on a public forum...it's another.

Just thinking of the ramifications if the painter happened to read these comments...and hopefully you understand that this is friendly advice. The new painter has talent, that's obvious, you mentioned he's a great guy, that's a bonus, the boss respects you enough to critique his work, that shows your respected...the car looks great, the painter had a hand in that. You never know who reads these threads. Last month, an old friend of mine that I hadn't talked to in a few years phoned me and asked if it was me that was posting on this forum...he said "he recognized my voice by the way I wrote".

Not trying to offend, just suggesting.

Best to you in this Holiday Season.

Ray

you're right. I think honesty is the best route, anything else is deceptive, but I need to think about being TOO honest. Anyhow, if any mods are out there can you erase this entire thread and I'll re-post it, please?

gearheadslife 12-21-2012 09:24 AM

love the way , you jab the painter, when the prep. sounds like it was a macco special..
looks good for the half @$$ED work under it.

tech69 12-21-2012 09:47 AM

funny, don't see much of your work around here.

69 widetrack 12-21-2012 10:25 AM

[quote=tech69;1625504]
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1625483)
you're right. I think honesty is the best route, anything else is deceptive, but I need to think about being TOO honest. Anyhow, if any mods are out there can you erase this entire thread and I'll re-post it, please?

Thanks for understanding that I wasn't trying to flame you, it was more of a heads up kinda thing. I learned many years ago when I was fighting with an insurance company and with out a doubt, I was right. It turned out I was almost dead right when they threatened to take away my accreditation.

Honesty is a good policy, I now try and temper it with understanding.

Ray

crownver 12-21-2012 10:36 AM

Hey Tech69, the car looks good. What colour is that? I've been looking for a yellow to paint my truck when it's done (llong way to go yet, just started on it again after a year or 2 of other things getting in the way) Looking for something lighter than "Corvette yellow" but want it to look non-stock. Do you have any pictures of the car in daylight? Thanks!

tech69 12-21-2012 04:35 PM

not sure the color. It's a stock color. It's yellow but has a puke green tint to it.

gearheadslife 12-21-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tech69 (Post 1625515)
funny, don't see much of your work around here.

don't matter.. I'm not the one posting gabs at a painter .after admitting that the prep. work was "special"

10g's for that.

69 widetrack 12-21-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crownver (Post 1625527)
Hey Tech69, the car looks good. What colour is that? I've been looking for a yellow to paint my truck when it's done (llong way to go yet, just started on it again after a year or 2 of other things getting in the way) Looking for something lighter than "Corvette yellow" but want it to look non-stock. Do you have any pictures of the car in daylight? Thanks!

I looked at my 1971 PPG color chips and the only thing that I found that was close to the pictures on Tech 69's post was Dodge paint code Y1...PPG mixing # 2211, color name Top Bannana Yellow (explains the green hue...but then it's freshly painted, it might turn black in a week or two...LOL). Maybe Tech 69 can correct me but this is the best information I have.

To me it looks a little darker than the Corvette Yellow of that era and does have a Yellow toner or 2 that go to the green side.

I still love all those 60's, 70's era monochromatic colors...they are different and would stand today like they did back then.

Hope this helps.

Ray

tech69 12-21-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1625627)
don't matter.. I'm not the one posting gabs at a painter .after admitting that the prep. work was "special"

10g's for that.

admitting what? Looks like you never worked in a shop before. In a garage full of pride with no work? Sounds about right. Sure if it were my car there's some things I would do different(like strip it) but I have to make do with what the job entails.

tech69 12-21-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1625632)
I looked at my 1971 PPG color chips and the only thing that I found that was close to the pictures on Tech 69's post was Dodge paint code Y1...PPG mixing # 2211, color name Top Bannana Yellow (explains the green hue...but then it's freshly painted, it might turn black in a week or two...LOL). Maybe Tech 69 can correct me but this is the best information I have.

To me it looks a little darker than the Corvette Yellow of that era and does have a Yellow toner or 2 that go to the green side.

I still love all those 60's, 70's era monochromatic colors...they are different and would stand today like they did back then.

Hope this helps.

Ray

not even sure if it's a 71 but it does have a green hue to it. I'd take Vette yellow over it anyday, but that's just my opinion. I'll take some pics when it gets the stickers and the sky clears up.

69 widetrack 12-21-2012 05:17 PM

My 42 year old chip books leave a little to be desired as well, it's amazing that the chips actually are starting to look faded. Recently I looked at a red from 1930 for a customer of mine and when I showed him the chip, he said no that wasn't it, when I mixed a little for him he said it was bang on, maybe ask the painter, I'll bet he knows the paint code.

The body style is 71 and up, hard to tell the exact year without it put together and then did the guy who owns it go with the original color?

Ray


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.