Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - yes, another exhaust thread
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2004, 09:08 PM
Trans Am

Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow yes, another exhaust thread

Thanks in advance for viewing my post even though there are a thousand exhaust posts already. Ok, here goes.

Just finished putting a ZZ4 crate motor in my 81 Trans (2nd Generation F-body) and I need to get exhaust welded up soon. I put new Hooker long tube headers and sawzalled everything out from those back. For the new setup, I want true duals with 2 cats, mufflers and and H pipe. I've asked two local muffler shops around town, and both say they cannot weld that setup because it will be illegal. They say I need one single (giant) cat that came like the stock exhaust. I could go with a highflow cat of this type aswell. My question is has anyone had long tube headers with this single cat setup. Also, how am I seeing so many 70-81 F-body cars with true duals, getting inspection stickers, I know for most of that 2nd gen. era they all had the Y pipe exhaust with single cat. If I am able to get a shop to weld up true duals, which cats are prefered for the set up, since the single cat will no longer be receiving air injection from the air pump, and i dont have the O2 sensors before and after on dual exhaust (needed for new cats to work correctly with correct air fuel ratio). If Virginia starts implementing the sniffer test which i hear they might do, i would like to pass....or end up getting antique tags.Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.