Yet another 383 build up, questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 05:16 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yet another 383 build up, questions

I have done some research and think I have the set up that should work, but because I am new at this, I want to get some feedback.

I am building a 79 camaro and this is the setup I came up with, bear in mind, I am in the planning phase so every can be subject to change, so alot of help, comments and suggestions are really appreciated.

I am planning on the following for the camaro:

TH350 Auto with 2500 stall
posi rear end with 3.73 gears
Rear wheels will be 17x9.5 with 285/40 tires

As far as the engine, I was thinking building up a 383 stroker with the following:

Eagle Internal balanced rotating kit (5.7" Rods with Hyper pistons)
Comp Cams XR282HR-10, (Comp said I will need a custom grind on a 1.050" base circle to clear rods, which they will do for no extra charge through them. Cam specs: Advertised Duration 282/288, Lift .510/.520, Duration at .050 inch Lift 230 int./236 exh. )
Going with Hydraulic rollers and 1.5 roller rockers.
Dart Pro 1 Aluminum Heads, (200cc intake runners, 64cc comustion chamber)
RPM dual pane intake
750 CFM Carb, unknown make yet, Holley or Edelbrock??

I think that covers most of the specs needed for some advice. Is there a specific carb that would work best with this application? The camaro is not a daily driver, it is going to be driven once or twice a week just around town. Maybe take it to the strip once or twice. My brother in law has a 90 something camaro with mild mods on it, Im not sure what he has done, (maybe some tuning, headers, exhuast, stuff like that) but his license plate says, DONT TRY, haha, he thinks its the fastest thing on the street. Making the 79 smoke his stupid camaro is kind of a goal, but Im not building the car aroud that.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I'd want more rear gear and a looser torque converter for that cam.

With the potential of those heads, I would also use more cam, but that's only from the standpoint of a weekend toy-type ride. It's easy for ME to say, but YOU are the one footing the bill and riding the ride- but just sayin'. lol

A 750 DP would work well w/that deal, even as you've spec'ed it.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I'd want more rear gear and a looser torque converter for that cam.

With the potential of those heads, I would also use more cam, but that's only from the standpoint of a weekend toy-type ride. It's easy for ME to say, but YOU are the one footing the bill and riding the ride- but just sayin'. lol

A 750 DP would work well w/that deal, even as you've spec'ed it.

What size rear? Like 4.11 gears? The 3.73 I through out was just out of what I have seen most people use, by "seeing most people use", meaning what I have read. I can go with a bigger gear, Im not scared. Also, what size of cam would you recommend? What do you mean by, Looser torque converter for that cam? like a 3000 stall? Sorry for barrage of questions, still learning. Thanks
Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmanburns
What size rear? Like 4.11 gears? The 3.73 I through out was just out of what I have seen most people use, by "seeing most people use", meaning what I have read. I can go with a bigger gear, Im not scared. Also, what size of cam would you recommend? What do you mean by, Looser torque converter for that cam? like a 3000 stall? Sorry for barrage of questions, still learning. Thanks
My "recommendations" are more 'bench racing' with you, than anything set in stone.

I'm just looking at those heads and thinking how to best use their full potential- which would mean a lot more of everything!

AFA the gear ratio, one way around needing such a steep gear (like the 4.11/4.56) is to use a TH700R4 or a TH2004R tranny. They have a first gear that will let you use a 3.73 rear gear (better than a 4.56 because of the driveshaft speed being slower w/the higher gear [lower number]). This is beneficial from several standpoints like wear on the U-joints, a stronger pinion gear, less vibration issues.

Picking a cam at this stage will pretty much mean the engine and chassis/drivetrain will be built around it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's understood that it all has to mesh together as a whole.

The combo you spec'ed at the start isn't bad- it just leaves a lot on the table is all. And THAT'S not necessarily a bad thing, either. It leaves room to "grow" should you decide to pick up the power later on.

Hopefully there will be other opinions on your deal.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
My "recommendations" are more 'bench racing' with you, than anything set in stone.

I'm just looking at those heads and thinking how to best use their full potential- which would mean a lot more of everything!

AFA the gear ratio, one way around needing such a steep gear (like the 4.11/4.56) is to use a TH700R4 or a TH2004R tranny. They have a first gear that will let you use a 3.73 rear gear (better than a 4.56 because of the driveshaft speed being slower w/the higher gear [lower number]). This is beneficial from several standpoints like wear on the U-joints, a stronger pinion gear, less vibration issues.

Picking a cam at this stage will pretty much mean the engine and chassis/drivetrain will be built around it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it's understood that it all has to mesh together as a whole.

The combo you spec'ed at the start isn't bad- it just leaves a lot on the table is all. And THAT'S not necessarily a bad thing, either. It leaves room to "grow" should you decide to pick up the power later on.

Hopefully there will be other opinions on your deal.
haha, hey brother, I totally understand what you are saying. I married into this 79 and my wife refuses to do get rid of it, so I have to rebuild it. This all started out with simply replacing the 305 in it now with a 350, which lead me to find out a 383 stroker will put out more power and torque and not be much more cost over a 350, which lead me needing to rebuild the TH350 and a better stall converter, which lead me to having to rebuild the rear end and put in a posi, that went to the brakes needing to be upgraded to disc (gotta stop the beast) which lead to needing bigger rims becuase of the disc. So building an engine around a camshaft is the same as building a car around the engine. Its one thing after the other.

But like i said, everything is subject to change, but I want to try and stay away from the continual 'one-up'. Meaning, I am evening thinking about going with AFR 195 heads which are only about 75 bucks more. If I need to go with a 700 trans, I guess I need to get it done. I was wanting to rebuild as many of the components as possible, like the trans and the rear end. However, the last thing I want, is to leave anything on the table, I would like to get all the right stuff working together the first go which is why I want to get as much advice as possible during this planning phase. I want to get this WHOLE drivetrain figured out, get it set and stay on the course while I build it up. The plan right now is to have the whole drivetrain built up and ready for install, then I am tearing the car apart, so when I rebuild the car, I can have the drivetrain ready for install. Thanks for the help

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.