yet another gmc starter problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 08:44 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

yet another gmc starter problem

Hello all,

Been battling a starter issue with a Chevy 350 (3970010) that sounds like everyone else's but with a twist. Located my engine stamping and noted it was a ckk code for the last 3 letters. It also has the bolt patterns for a flush-mount(90 degrees) and staggered starter. I also measured and made sure I had a 168 tooth flywheel.

The issue I am having is that an offset starter will always bind after 5 or so starts. No matter how much I try to keep it to a paper clips width on the teeth, it keeps binding. I tried the extra grounding trick, and shimming as posted in some other threads to no avail. Take that starter back and put in a new one works great for 5 more starts.
However when I bought the truck, it used the flush bolt pattern starter, and never had this problem. I've brought this up to numerous parts stores and mechanics, but every last one of them come up with the offset starter on their searches, including ac delco. My biggest question is how do I go about finding that flush-mount starter again since all searches come up to the staggered starters, or is it possible a flush-mount 305 will work in this particular case?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Since I`ve already been down this road with starters, I`ll try again. If you`ll notice on your starter theres a round groove on each bolt hole, and the bolts have to have a shank that fits into these grooves on them, there can be no washers on the bolts of any kind,when you install the starter you must make sure the shanks are fitting into these grooves, this is what eliminates the movement of the starter and eliminates binding. after the bolts are snug and in the grooves, step up to a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and tighten them good, this should get rid of the problem. since your starter is a 168 tooth, you have to use the staggerd pattern starter.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Starter problems

RWollf: Ive been having the same problem exactly ! Well you need the staggered starter with that 168 flywheel . I think you may have got mixed up with that. The 153 takes the flush mount. Ive tried everything : shims etc. , work a few tomes and then terrible noise. I thought I had it whipped but it started again. I didnt know there were any bushings for the bolts to go through on the starter holes . Ill have to look into that : it makes sense , anyway it can loosen up it wiil !
Old 10-11-2004, 04:36 PM

The funniest thing

Thanks for your replies guys!

Changed out the bolts like you recommended and nothing.. think I sulked for the rest of the day... hehe. Now the funny part and may even help you out musky2. Tested my grounds and noticed a real high resistance on the block, so I checked the grounding strap I installed and scraped the rest of the paint off the frame and remounted. Also checked the factory ground and found a little corrosion so I replaced that as well. Checked again and maybe dropped my resistance by 3 ohms.. hmmm Checked the battery and wouldn't you know, had a walmart special 40 amp rating battery. Promptly exited that out of the truck and installed an ac delco 80 amp 5 year battery. checked the resistance and was below 4 ohms! about a 30 ohm drop! turned the key and wouldn't ya know.. fired right up! Guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for, hehe. thanks again guys.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:40 AM

Last photo:

Re: The funniest thing

Quote:
Originally posted by Rwolff
Thanks for your replies guys!

Changed out the bolts like you recommended and nothing.. think I sulked for the rest of the day... hehe. Now the funny part and may even help you out musky2. Tested my grounds and noticed a real high resistance on the block, so I checked the grounding strap I installed and scraped the rest of the paint off the frame and remounted. Also checked the factory ground and found a little corrosion so I replaced that as well. Checked again and maybe dropped my resistance by 3 ohms.. hmmm Checked the battery and wouldn't you know, had a walmart special 40 amp rating battery. Promptly exited that out of the truck and installed an ac delco 80 amp 5 year battery. checked the resistance and was below 4 ohms! about a 30 ohm drop! turned the key and wouldn't ya know.. fired right up! Guess the moral of the story is you get what you pay for, hehe. thanks again guys.
I had many starting problems them lost the ground completely even with a very tight bolt to the frame. I cleaned the area and put a start washer that is suppose to be use to add electrical contact and the truck starts and restart without a flaw. Ed ke6bnl

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.