Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yet another question about bonding fiberglass to metal
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yet another question about bonding fiberglass to metal

First off, I'm making custom widened quarter panels for my car. Its not just a fender flare, its a little more complicated. About 1/2 of the panel will be custom, and the other 1/2 will be stock.

I can't remake the entire quarter panel out of fiberglass, that would be an insane amount of work, and I would never get it right.

I want to make the widened part of the quarter panel out of fiberglass, and mold that to the rest of the metal body. I want to use fiberglass because of the weight savings, its ease of working with, and the fact that it will never rust.

I've read every single thread on this board about bonding fiberglass to metal, some things were mentioned, but nobody really came to a solid conclusion.

I know that fiberglass and metal expand and contract at different rates, so you can't just slap one on the other an expect it to last.

But I do want it to last, so is there some type of buffer material that i can place between the fiberglass and the metal, like some kind of malleable adhesive to allow the glass to move around a bit?

Also, I hear there is some stuff that you can mix in with your paint so that the paint will not completely dry, to make the paint more flexible. Could I use this ontop of where the metal meets the glass (where the cracking is going to be) so that when the glass does move around, it wont crack the paint?

Is this ever going to work or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and rig up something ugly with metal? Please be open minded, I really want this to work.

Last edited by Psionic; 01-06-2004 at 10:36 PM.