Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yet another question about bonding fiberglass to metal
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Im not looking for blanket statements like "it wont work just use metal" here, I want people to think outside the box.

Quote:
Originally posted by 302/Z28
It is really impossible to obtain a permanent bond to metal with fiberglass.
Metal will absorb no resin and the bond is on the surface only.

Vince
Thats why I asked if there is a buffer material that can be placed inbetween the glass and the metal, to allow for expansion.

So again, is there a material that can be placed between the metal and the glass?

What if i did not fasten them together with an adhesive, and did this:
1) drill holes in the glass where I want it to attach to the metal approx 1/4" in diameter.
2) drill holes in the same spots on the metal, appox 1/8" in diameter.
3) line the glass up to the metal, and feed a bolt through each hole.

The thread of the bolts would be 1/8" in diameter, so they would be snug in the metal hole, but there would be room for expansion in the fiberglass hole since they are 1/4" in diameter.

4) attach a nut to the other end of the bolt, but have some kind of gasket between the nut and the glass to allow things to move around a bit.

Maybe I could use the process above in conjunction with an adhesive.

If the above process will not work, please do not just say "it will not work, you are crazy", please tell my why it wont work and give suggestions on how to make it work.