yet another rust question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

yet another rust question

ive been searching but cant seem to find my answer, i have a couple small rust spots behind the rear whell opening on my 70 el camino ive made a patch panel and cut out the weak metal, my question is is there any way to get the rest of the rust off of the inside?...i have pretty good access now with the factory access opening panel (and the one i manufactured) but there was a good amount of crud that was pretty difficult to remove from the bottom where the quarter and the bed metal pinch together is there any way to scrape (?) i guess seems the best bet and then what can i treat it with?...lol, something i can just pour in and have all future rust fixed? or better yet, where's the stuff i can just pour in and have it remove any surface rust and crud and treat for future?...thx in advance for any help, i need to finish this today but i hate to think of welding half my access closed and then finding out there was something else i should have done, thx again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Diehard Chevy Guy

Last journal entry: Getting rid of the old and Adding the New
Last photo:

Just a Thought.

When I did my 74 firebird I cleaned off as much rust as I could especially doing the rear quarters. Then I sprayed it down with carb cleaner. Once it dried I applied a spray grease (not wd40) I think it was white grease. I applied about 4 coats letting each coat solidify each time. This was done 4 yrs ago and I have no rust problems where I applied it. I have done this on my regular vehicles too with great results. Just a quick way to slow or stop the rust process.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Last journal entry: Just starting
Last photo:

nice use of the white lithium there bud, never have heard of using it to prevent rust but it would make sense, just a little messy i suppose
Old 03-23-2006, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

Por-15 or one of the other spray can anti-rust sprays followed by a rubberized undercoating spray of some kind might work well, but I sometimes think "If I miss some rust, and it comes back will it be a royal pain to get that undercoat off?" How good is your access? Can you get your hand in there to sand some of this off - are you sure it is just surface rust and not on the verge of breaking through?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:38 PM

thanks guys, i ended up sloshing some good ol' naval jelly in it then workin it with an old paint brush and rinsing it , of course that led to a better view, and of course, more poking around... lucky me!, i found more rust through the back side and front side of the rear inner wheel well, so after the naval jelly and working those patches it actually looks pretty good now, almost back to square one now ...thx again
Old 03-24-2006, 12:05 AM

what about rust spots on a hood.it left little pits.do i need to sand those pits out & go back over it with a filler and sand again until smooth and shaped?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.