Hot Rod Forum banner

Yet another Sand Blaster question

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  dedub 
#1 ·
I think I've read almost everything there is to read on the internet/forums/threads that one could in the last 2 weeks. I know about plans, hoppers, compressors ect... I got it.
What I haven't seen much of anything on is the ventilation. I emailed TP and all they wanted to do is sell me their $200 plus vacuum system. Now I know there is a better way and I would like to here if anyone out there has used a shop vac or fan or what ever worked for them. I got big plans and a nice cabinet done in CAD, I just don't want everything to be clouded from rust and sand dust.
Thanks

#2 ·
I am using a shop vac for that purpose would work better if I had a better blast cabinet, but the idea is good. Two things I found

first you will need to get the intake high enough as to not suck out the media, and a filter to assist with that. I used a k&n valve cover type myself

the other item I would change in mine would be the hopper I would, if building my own keep it as low as I could. So as to not stir up the media laying in the return hopper.

With out a vacuum the cabinet can become positively pressurized and want to spew media through any unsealed area, you more then likely know this just mentioning it .

Building your own is the way to do it, they are just so simple ...

#5 ·
blast cabinet...

Hi,i use the big Sears shop vacum cleaner. cut a round hole on the end,up high,to fit your hose,at the rear ,towards one side cut another hole,same size as hose, *(thats for the air intake)put a U shaped piece of metal (up and down, over the rear hole. works great.

#6 ·
boatbob2 said:
Hi,i use the big Sears shop vacum cleaner. cut a round hole on the end,up high,to fit your hose,at the rear ,towards one side cut another hole,same size as hose, *(thats for the air intake)put a U shaped piece of metal (up and down, over the rear hole. works great.
Thanks boatbob...
I think I followed you up to the point of the U shaped piece of metal. I'm trying to visualize it but I just don't get it?? Could you please clarify for me.

thanks

#7 ·
SAND Blaster

I built a metal cabinet big enough to put a rear end housing inside. It's about 6 ft long and 6 ft high with a triangle floor to the bottom to collect the sand. I ran a 2 inch piece of pvc at the top back with 1/2 in holes drilled about 4 in apart for the dust suction pickup . it works pretty good. sand dust is bad for the health. My cabinet is outside under a lean to roof and the shop vac is about 10 ft away with extra hoses. I haven't tried to build a cyclone pre collector like a cabinet shop uses for sawdust. My farm tractors use a cyclone pre collector to separate out the heavy dirt.

#9 ·
blaster

Hi DEDUB.actually i didnt use the metal,i took 2 pieces of 1/2 in plywood,4 inches long,and 1 inch wide. i screwed them to each side of the rear hole up and down,then i put a flat piece of plywood screwed to the upright pieces, to form kinda a box. with the hole at the other side of the box. leaving the top and bottom open i told you about the metal,because i figured it was a simpler way to do it. hope this helps.

#10 ·
home brew said:
My buddy uses a shop vac on his cabinet. The filter plugs up pretty fast and he has to clean it often. If you can figure out a way to add an additional filter with a lot of surface area you may be able to decrease the down time.

That was the purpose for using the k&n style , it is inside and at the top of the cabinet attached to the hose... and when the power in off the media drops back down , it is not perfect I do have to shake the filter, the k&n cause it will clog after usage but that is after a few uses..

The next cabinet am going to build ,cause I am convinced that it is most efficient way to get what one needs. I am planning on using the shop vac again but will put a controlled vent on the shop vac hose, the purpose for that is to vent off some of the vacuum and I believe it will control the amount of media now being picked up and clogging the filter.. shop vac will work very well, but needs to be toned down a bit, detuned if you like.
I sure others have pondered this, it seems to really cut the cost aspect.

#11 ·
Another thing to think about, to protect the glass for the viewing area, get some clear laminating film, it will stop the glass from getting sand blasted and getting foggy. It is cheaper to replace than glass and protects it. Ask a local Print Shop if they will sell you some or try an art supply.

#12 ·
Dust Collector

I was really tired of having to stop every so often for the dust settle while blasting. I took a tour around my shop and studied the blast units we have in use. I found if I used a 55gl barrel as the base unit, and then weld a 25gl unit on top of the removable lid, I was able to secure an industrial fart fan unit its' removable lid. I fed the dust hog hose into the upper most section of the lower large barrel, 3" from the top line, and I used the tip from one of my old worn out work boots as the diverter. Then I constructed a cone deflector that was shy of being full center of the large barrel, giving a less then 1" space from the sides, and this was attached to the underside of the removable lid. The lid had several holes drilled th 1" dia. to allow for the air flow. I also had designed a sock to mount as a particle filter to keep out heavy dust flows. Inside the smaller barrel was another form of a bag filter mounted to the bottom by way of a ring the size of a common pillow case, and I used a modified tomato plant trellis to keep the pillow case from collapsing when the power was off. I actually had to use (2) 25gl drums to give myself an attachment ring for the smaller drum. The fan was placed on the removable lid at the other end and ducted by way of 3" flex hose to the out side of the blasting shed. It to has a screen to help break apart any large dust balls before dropping into a collection bin.
Total cost of this DIY system was less then $200 and time well spent training my 10 year old daughter how to fabricate and weld this unit together.

I could have spent $240 to purchase a small indoor type dust collection unit, but then I would cut out the time of training my kids on how to use the CAD, bend and roll the tin, their favorite is to use the cutting tools and then the MIG to sew it all up. A couple days to collect the materials and draw out the plans, and another full day to have fun building it. My next addition to this gizmo is a surround to help isolate the unit and keep the noise down. :thumbup:

Maximo

#13 ·
Hey Lord,
That setup sounds really nice. I have to tell you it's really hard to follow and picture it in my head. Do you think you could take a picture or two? I'd even like the cad drawing. I dabble in CAD and have a few programs that I'm sure I could use to open it up.
Thanks
Darrin

#17 ·
I am not positive that the pictures will show up but hope so. I am new to the group and am also looking at sand blasting cabinet ideas. The pictures are something I found elsewhere. It is a filter system for the sandblaster. You take a container that will seal tight. Cut a piece of pvc at an angle and insert thru a hole cut in the lid to where it is just off the bottom. Install another piece of pvc that just entends thru the lid. Put in a few inches of water and close. Run a hose from cabinet to the pvc that extends to the bottom and from the other pvc, run the hose to the shop vac. The water will filter out the dust. When done simply dump the container and rinse out.

This will definitely be a part of any cabinet design I end up with.

Attachments

#20 ·
A shop vac works great. I use both a bag filter in it as well as the standard paper filter. Mine has NO air inlet holes. This keeps the box in a negative pressure so dust does not escape when your not sand blasting. The air from your hose as you sand is the incoming air. Works great. A light inside is a must. I use a 2ft florescent light mounted to the top. Look into getting some window film as well. otherwise your window gets pitted up and hard to see through. Ask me how I know. :mwink:

#21 ·
If you look at the top of this page I give a link to the construction of my cabinet. Unfortunately I had to bust out and go the UK for a month, that's where Im at now. I'll be back next week to finish it up and to finish the tutorial. I did make provisions for a shop vac but I mounted the hole for it on the very top. I also plan on using the water method, I think that's brilliant.
Sorry about the age tinlid, haha, I just remember my Mom buying one in the late 70's if Im not mistaken. Heck I didn't even think they were still around :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.