Yet another small block problem... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 08:55 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Yet another small block problem...

I'm back, this time with a new problem. Last Sunday I pulled the truck in the garage after going through a huge rain storm (I dont have inner fender wells in the front). A wire came loose from my alternator and I barely made it home. That was my first problem, easy enough. Today, I went to start up the truck and nothing. Turn the key and nothing. I crawled under there and found that I melted through one of my starter wires. Second problem, easy enough. or so I thought. I fixed the wire and still get no responce when I turn the key. I took the starter out and checked it. It works fine when hooking it up to a 12 volt source so that isnt the problem. All my wires are good now with all good connections so that isnt the problem. What else should I check / look for to get my truck on the road again. This is so strange??? It worked fine then BAM nothing at all. Also, I have good power - battery is at full charge now and no fuses are blown at all???
Help me out here......I'm goin nuts trying to figure this one out. THANK YOU in advance!!!

Shawn -

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2003, 09:00 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Did you check the fusable links? these melt when a short occurs which sounds like what happened, on most GM`s there located right before the starter, if there blown, you`ll get no power to anything and you`ll need to replace them, if you don`t and another short occurs, fire time.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:13 PM

Ok.....I checked them and they were kinda melted so I just cut them off and spliced new wire in there place......your saying that I need them?
Old 07-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

you don`t have to have them, but for your safety, I would suggest them strongly, if there is no fusable link, a fire can start if a short occurs, and you won`t be happy replacing everything under the hood or the whole vehicle, a friend of mine rewired his with no fusable links, a wire shorted and they went up in flames pretty fast doing several hundred dollars worth of damage.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.