Yoke interchange for 4L80E - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2003, 07:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yoke interchange for 4L80E

Whats needed to change a 1999 4L80E MT1 from a yoke with a brake drum to a regular style yoke?
The tail housing has two ball bearings in it and the overall length of the trans is 33 1/4", plus the trans mount is huge. Can any th400 parts be used in the swap?
I could always get a shorter front (half of the)drive shaft with a different yoke on it, the u-joint is huge 1 1/4 diameter by 4 1/4 wide.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2003, 07:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Cool

the output splines are the same.

the tail housing will not bolt up from a T-400. Different design , needs machine work and the T-400 housing is shorter than the 4L80E.

As I recall the correct 4L80E tail housing, with the removal of the MH stuff and you are good to go.

The cup plug in the back of the case with the lube hole for the tail housing should be there since this is NOT a 4x4 4L80E.

Tony
Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Last photo:

Thats good news, I guess the ones with the brake are the only ones with the huge u joints and bearings so it's not likely i will find a regular bolt on yoke that would accept the u joint size it has and have a stub for the bearings.
A custom driveshaft may be what it gets.
Thanks

EDIT---actually the driveshaft is the right length so a cross over u joint is all it needs, I just measured it.

Last edited by Jason; 09-12-2003 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:41 PM

Last photo:

I get it now...

Where might I find the right tail housing and yoke? I was thinking of calling some place like gear vendors overdrives, their site talks about mounting them to 4L80's, they must have a lot of tail housings and yokes laying around.

The tail housing I have won't work unless I cut the mount boss off, it's too low, almost level with the bottom of the pan.
I could cut that all off and make a custom mount bracket that's shaped like an L and bolts to the very rear of the tail where the brake backing plate bolted to and have it so the mount bolts to the bottom. Then find a cross over u joint. Seems like a lot of trouble.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

I was told today that '97 and up tail housings are different, not specifically but I guessed the oil hole location.
I went back to the shop that I was told had the original trans for my truck and they still had everything but the case. The tail housing has a different oil hole location than my '99 trans.

Now the guy spent what I'd consider a lot of time helping me, he was told by someone he called that there are different tailshaft lengths but his thoughts were there were only two, one for two wheel drive and one for four wheel drive. He said he can call his regular hard parts supplier and get a better answer tomorrow.

He gave me the original bolt on yoke so I figured I could bolt it up and measure the distance from the case to where the seal rides and it should be close to 6 1/4"....the length of the tail housing I'm looking for. If it is he can order a used one for $60.

He also took the time to show me the busted up internals of the old trans...what a mess, the rear planet carrier was cracked around a pinion to name one thing, the case was broken.
He was the owner of the shop, he also showed me a few other things about a 4L80 that he had a problem with, two new GM parts where the center support was too long by .050, he got a used one from his supplier and solved the problem.
I think I found a new guy to bother
Should I tip the guy some extra cash for being so helpful? I think I will when (if) he orders the housing.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.