Hot Rod Forum banner

You don't see paint failure like this often!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
Today a Lexus came in with a failed paint on the hood like I have never seen. This looked like a fifties lacquer job 20 years later kinda failure. It was wild, but this is what trapped solvents can do, it was piled on coat after coat without allowing it to flash. The entire hood had even yellowed, with the blend going off onto the fenders cracking as well.

Man this thing brought back memories as I have never seen this kind of failure with a urethane and I have to assume that is what it is.

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh heck now it the P sheet had been followed it couldn't do this. But that is the point, wrong temp for reducer or hardener chosen even though they are the correct ones is still not following the P pages. Correct temp reducer and hardener, correct everything but applied too heavy, is till not following the P pages.

They did not follow the P pages, that is....clear. :D

Brian

#5 ·
That could be very true Shine, but even then there is no paint no where that is going to fail like that if applied properly.

Brian

#8 ·
Well we striped this hood and it was of course full of bondo. So it's going to need a new one, cheaper to replace than repair.

Brian

#10 ·
Something was done wrong though. That is the thing, the question is does every car painted with that paint fail quickly? The answer is no.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.