Hot Rod Forum banner

You guys that run Dynos check this dyno sheet

902 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  painted jester 
#1 · (Edited)
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=125250&stc=1&d=1393697689

Check the oil and water temps and tell me your opinion on whether this is a good dyno run?:confused:

I say its too cold!!! Below the Sweet Spot!! Not at operating temp! Oil temp on this sheet is 89 Degrees F. (that could be at 89 degrees room temperature still in the plastic containers befor it was put in the engine LOL) its 89 throughout the run and water is max 135 degrees!

I'm dumbfounded that some on here don't see what I see !:eek:

What am I missing that they see? Am I that old and things have changed that much:drunk:?

An old dyno operator: Jester

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't get too excited, probably didn't hook up the engine to the sensors...simple explanation.

Likely relied on mechanical gauges.

#4 ·
This was an Edelbrock corrected dyno data sheet a standard sheet supplied with a particular built crate engine the same results as sent with other crate engines of that particular build derived from a test engine that was dynoed (they don't dyno every engine they build unless you pay extra)

It surprised me when I read and saw temps, you can't do a good run unless the engine is broke in first on the fly wheel or rear wheel dyno , and then you do a cold run to bring up temps before the pulls for your data, My dyno if I left the temp censers unhooked would read no data, And this was Edelbrock I wouldn't expect them to leave censers disconnected on a corrected run!! I would not expect them to do a faulty run and send data that was off!

I read dyno graphs and data sheets when posted in threads to base my opinion on tuning or advice! These temp reading just drew my attention ,and was told it "meant nothing" on another thread and it "wasn't important"! And my mood and age had me doubting my knowledge:confused: and in todays progressive computer technology I posted this question to get other dyno operators and tuners opinions on my opinion of this dyno sheet?

If I'm all wrong I want to be told ! in the back of my old brain I know I'm right But then when other posters tell me it is meaningless and others I respect on here ignore it and don't back me up after a derogatory post like that hurt my confidence! And now after a couple of days Bogie is the only guy to give me an answer and not making excuses why the temps may not be reading right, If the TEMP readings are off there cant be a CORECTED HP & TRQUE run and again this was from Edelbrock on a MUSI built original engine they build, advertise, and sell based on this data sheet.

Jester

#5 ·
I was sitting on throne this morning and looking for something exciting to read found the old Chevy High Performance Side by Side article where they did different heads and cam on a Goodwrench 350. It states that "after a 15 minute break-in" ----- they started pulling power. I guess on a dyno engines break-in faster than in a vehicle. I don’t no???

Bogie

#6 ·
My last dyno used a water heater and pump to have water at operating temp already circulating through the engine before it was even started and it effects break in time quite a bit bogie AND SOME OLD ONES USED THE HOT WATER FROM THE DYNOS COOLING SYSTEM AND CIRCULATED THAT THROUGH THE ENGINE LOL HIT THE CAPS LOCK BY ACCIDENT:eek:

Jester

#7 ·
I guess the point is, what are we going to do about it?

Not much, I don't lose sleep on things I can't change.

It wasn't my engine or dyno sheet, my guess is they got higher peak readings on a cold engine which is typical...and that sells.

Right!?

#8 ·
Chuck:welcome:

The only time I ever saw higher peaks on an engine that still wasn't at operating temp was on a piss poor build that lost power at temp from wrong ring gaps and bad valve setting or too small a piston clearance that when the pistons expanded they caused friction in the cylinders enough to lock stall the engine at idle! or it was a crappy wore out dyno.

These pages are a learning system for a lot of young and some old people on here and not many of us are on here with real experience and knowledge to share compared to the massive numbers of members!! And I'll try to stop bad info by the strongest means I can use to get my point across! I guess that's a problem I don't share with some people. At 67 years old I guess its ingrained into my personality and this old dog isn't going to be able to change that, LOL But I can still learn new things from anyone:thumbup:

Jester

#9 ·
Called Pat Musi racing and talked to Pat today, that sheet is a cold 5 second acceleration pull after a crate engines break in for Edelbrock that customers pay a little extra for about 600 dollars! Not a full dyno session or dyno pulls that cost much more!! He explained that the dyno sessions on his racing engines are run hot and more elaborate with tuning.

Thats pretty much what I thought!

I figued this thread would have triggered more interst?

Jester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.