Are you a hoarder, come on admit it. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
You have them on display, whole different deal. Like I said, if it affects your way of life I think is the deciding factor. If you had 700 beanie babies "on display" in your bed room and were sleeping on the couch, I would say your life is being affected. You know what I mean?

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
X2 on that one.

And Bob, I think your right, your a collector...I've thought about this, my shop and home are clean, if you open a closet it's well organized, I collect 2 things, cars and parts and I don't have that many of either that you can't get in my yard or walk around in my shop where I store my parts...in a room...in bins...with a door.

Ray
Yep I hold onto things but not to the point were I trip over them, I try and keep it neat and stored away out of the way and if it starts to get in the way then its off to the dump or on-line clasified. I think if I had a empty 5000 sq/ft barn it would eventually end up full of things I just like to collect, the more room I have the more stuff I tend to hold onto. Hmm sounds like I am walking a fine line
Old 04-03-2013, 12:42 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I think there's different degrees of it. Like clothes for example. I keep them forever. My wife has to get on my case for not throwing away something with lots of holes in it, but in my mind I find those will be good shop towels or something along those lines. I think true hoarders will have hallways filled with boxes and storing things in places most normal people wouldn't. This is probably cause they ran out of space.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

I knew a guy that worked for himself was well to do, but you go to his house, you had little lanes to walk in. Every thing was packed to the ceilings with model toys or toy cars and trucks still in their boxes. Every room in that house was filled to the top, with a space for the bed and a couple chairs in the living room.

He passed away, I don't know if his wife sold them off or not.

Bob
Old 04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I don't think your a hoarder at all Bob, now my grandmother, she was hoarder, she raised 13 children during the depression and both my Grandparents new what being poor was. Even as time went by and money became easier to get, she never wanted to be without again. When she passed away, my mother found so many things that she had hidden and saved. I remember my mother telling me about over 100 2 liter bottles of Pepsi that they found under the stair case...and cans of Chef-Boy-Ardee cans of pasta that where so old, Chef Boy Ardee was a little boy on the label....LOL.

I was serious about the over 100 bottles of Pepsi though.

Ray
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Yep I got a feeling that todays society is going to produce less hoarders, society is bent on a through away mentality, our kids (for the most part) don't know what it is like to be without.

Back in the day folks tended to hold onto eveything because things were way tougher and that mentaility may contribute to what we call hoarding.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10 View Post
Yep I got a feeling that todays society is going to produce less hoarders, society is bent on a through away mentality, our kids (for the most part) don't know what it is like to be without.

Back in the day folks tended to hold onto eveything because things were way tougher and that mentaility may contribute to what we call hoarding.

Ray first off I thought when you started your post with your grandmother having 13 kids I thought you were going to tell us she was hoarding kids. lol

Custom I think you will find older people hoarding more than younger. But they will still hoard dogs and cats. And they can't keep up with them.

Bob
Old 04-03-2013, 05:22 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I think that if Bob could find a way he would hoard Walleye but, from what I understand, they don't last long when he's around.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane View Post
Ray first off I thought when you started your post with your grandmother having 13 kids I thought you were going to tell us she was hoarding kids. lol

Custom I think you will find older people hoarding more than younger. But they will still hoard dogs and cats. And they can't keep up with them.

Bob
Bob, I don't think your far from the truth there, my Grandparents on my Mother's side of the family had 13 kids and so did my Grandparents on my Father's side...Well they all got married, giving me over 50 Aunts and Uncles...They all hoarded kids and I now have just over 150 first cousins. I couldn't tell you who was who in a police line up....and Brian, yes we stepped over each other at Christmas and family reunions...so I guess it is hoarding...LOL.

Ray
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

Martin, you have tools falling out of your toolbox all over your garage. Shame on you for hoarding all those tools. So do the right thing and hand em over. you'll thank me later.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

I really don't have a lot of tools that aren't regularly used. I am one of those rare guys who never got one of those tool box "condos" that so many guys have. I keep only what I NEED and toss the rest. I laugh how I have worked for years doing the exact same job everyone else in the shop does yet with a much smaller tool box, some of these guys LITERALLY have more money in the empty box than the car I am driving to work, literally! One of them has more money in his empty box than my wife's Caravan cost me. Crap, their little mini boxes that they have cost more than the first couple of cars I bought, it's crazy. And a lot of these boxes are half empty!

Nope, honestly, I keep it to a minimum but I am sure you would like my metal shaping tools that are gathering dust.

Brian
Old 04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

I saw a huge mac one with a center compartment roll down door and inside was a microwave and tv. I kid you not. I'm the same way. no way I pay more for a box than what I paid for my HF. I want to be able to toss tools inside not gently lay them down.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:28 AM

Last photo:

I have the same hoarding sickness
I`m tossing a lot of crap away, i had car parts under my bed, behind the couch, in the closet, in the bookshelf and so on.

Too many project cars that i wanted to fix or parts cars that i never disassembled because they were too good to be a part donors

Too much magazines, books, comic books and so on.

I had to move to apartment from a house and the clearing of the house is still going on...
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

The old saying "We don't own our crap, it owns us" is no joke! The person with a problem like this is NOT in control over all that stuff, it controls them!

Brian
Old 04-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
I saw a huge mac one with a center compartment roll down door and inside was a microwave and tv. I kid you not. I'm the same way. no way I pay more for a box than what I paid for my HF. I want to be able to toss tools inside not gently lay them down.
I don't care what tool box I have, the tools are going to organized so I can find them easier and be more productive.

Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to MARTINSR For This Useful Post:
tech69 (04-09-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.