Are you a hoarder, come on admit it. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Are you a hoarder, come on admit it.

Over the weekend I moved someone who is a hoarder, they don't think they are but they are. Many of us have a tendency to keep stuff we shouldn't, especially car guys, I have my fair share of car part "treasures" that haven't been used in years.
Then there are the people who "collect" and they have one of every McDonalds happy meal toys, where it the line drawn between the guy with a baseball from every game played by his favorite team the year they won the world series and a guy with a room full of pine cones as his collection?

I got to thinking about it and came up with a few questions to ask yourself. If you answer any of these yes, you need to start some serious inward examination of yourself. There are piles of self help books (but don't start a collection) or web sites I imagine if you do a little looking, you need to start TODAY.

1. Do you have a room, garage or shed full of boxes that haven't been opened in a year?

2. Are you using your bedroom to store treasures and you are sleeping on the couch?

3. Have you had a storage locker for a year or more?

4. Do you have items in boxes that have never been used?

5. Have you saved everything your kid ever done in school?

6. Do you have clothes from when you weighed 150 lbs, and that was 10 years ago, and you are now 225?

These are just a few things I came up with that I witnessed this weekend.

On the storage, think about this. I KNOW this person has had a FEW storage lockers as long as I have known them, we are talking 25 years! One in particular had about $300 worth of stuff in it and was there for about 6 years and cost them $6000 to store it!

Just wondering.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 05:56 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

The Wiffy is but I'm not as bad. However, I've moved us 3 times in 10 years and the last time to a smaller place (no garage, no car port/shed, no huge covered back deck and no barn). I hauled away a lot of stuff before this last move. Some of the things that I threw away she hasn't even noticed and the other stuff she asks about gets the reply of "it's around here somewhere and I'm sure we'll find it later" - - - she's not in any condition to go looking for them so I'm safe so far. Let's not even talk about her clothes, OK?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM

Last photo:

Like I said, a lot of us have the tendency to do it. We think of this stuff as US when really it's just a bunch of stuff and has nothing to do with who we are. "Some day" is another lie we convince ourself with. "Some day" is NOW, this is life, NOW, not later at some point. When I was moving this stuff over the weekend from their apartment out to the moving van to go to storage (one of a FEW storage units they have) I was pretty close to a couple garbage bins and I thought about that, if I went and thru every other box in the garbage they would likely never know!
And this person does very well with all aspects of life, they have always had good jobs, kid in college, nice car, all but this "little" issue that ENGULFS their life!

There was someone else helping in this move that also has the problem and at least they are thinking about it, they said some things to me and my wife that let us understand they are thinking about this, seeing it a bit different. Maybe they can be broken from these handcuffs that keep them down.

Like I said, we all have it a bit, I had to move from a three bedroom house and my shop into an apartment, it wasn't easy. I know, I am not making fun or anything like that, I know how easy this can get out of hand.

But on the notion that this stuff is a "treasure", a lot of it is the connection to the past for some people like family things. I look at it this way, I have a bit too, but I decided long ago to not leave it in a box up in the attic, get it out and use it! Put it up on the wall, use Grandmas dishes every day! And I do, I use a few treasures every day and if they should get broken, oh well, my enjoyment I get out of using them every day will more than make up for the loss. Where as if it were in the attic, I would get no enjoyment, so why have it.

I liken it to one of my favorite things, vintage war birds. After WWII they destroyed thousands upon thousands of B-17, B-24, B-25, P-51, etc aircrafts. Thousands upon thousands of them were cut up with a crane dropping a chunk of iron cut into a wedge on them. If all these aircraft hadn't been cut up we would likely see them every single day now, how much different it would be, could we appreciate them like we do now if the skies were full of them? I don't think so, having just the few we do to enjoy makes us appreciate them that much more. I feel that way about my parents stuff, or stuff from my childhood, I have thinned it out to having just a few things, and I REALLY appreciate them.

Same thing for any other "collection", some people collect things that are simply too easy to find, so they have a ton of them. Collecting something that is very difficult to find, something that takes a lot of searching to find is appreciated more and you CAN'T have a bedroom full of them because they can't be found to buy.

Like any other vice, drinking too much or what ever, if your normal life gets in the way of that vice, you know there is a problem. The person I moved this past weekend, just normal life is pushed aside, the "treasures" ARE getting in the way of their day to day life.

Our time here on earth should be spend in wonder of this amazing life, not wondering where we are going to store our five kitchen mixers still in their boxes!

Brian
Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I used to be and wish I was even more so again...I used to collect car parts just in case...I might use them some day. I tossed my walnut steering wheel from my 67 Firebird, I had a killer set of 428 SCJ heads, a complete (all be it in pieces) 1968 290 AMC motor, a rear wing for an AMC Javelin, a super low geared posi rear end for an AMX, 3 AMC 4 speed transmissions, a complete set of 5 Pontiac rally wheels, a complete interior (like new) for an AMX, a complete less 1 push rod 302 1969 Z28 motor, a set of Pontiac ram air IV heads and the list could go on and on.

What I didn't sell, I threw out, like the rally rims and walnut steering wheel, 428 SCJ heads, 290 AMC motor and countless other parts and pieces, gone. The things I sold like the Pontiac heads, I didn't get nearly enough for or the AMC 4 speed transmissions (in fact I gave 1 away so a buddy with a lack of cash could have a date coded transmission for his AMX...and haven't heard from him since) the rest sold cheap because they where taking up to much room.

I still have some hard to get pieces that I've been "Hoarding"/collecting for the last 10 years, like a set of 1970 LT1 heads, almost a complete interior for a 69 AMX, several sets of 68, 69 AMX hoods and fenders, 2 complete sets of doors for the 68 to 70 AMX/Javelins, front and rear bumpers for the AMX's and Javelins and a whole bunch of other hard to get stuff. In fact what I've collected in last 10 years would more than fill a 12' X 12' room and that's not including parts cars that I've been collecting. All I didn't get rid of from days gone by is the 302 Z28 motor and wish I would have saved what I got rid of years ago.

So, do I really need this stuff, NO, will I ever use all of it, I really doubt it, am I hoarding it...YES and I'm always looking for more stuff to hoard. Do I have the room, well even though I'm not paying rent (like a storage locker) for the stuff I have and am storing, I could be putting the room to use to make money but the way I look at it, if I ever need something that I found say 5 years ago, it would cost a lot more to buy it today or 5 years from now than what I paid for it...if I could find it.

Whenever I get flack from my wife for being a hoarder, I just point at her boxes on boxes of "Beany Baby's" from her younger years LOL.

Ray
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Brian, I just read your last post...now I'm confused, am I a hoarder or not...it's not affecting my life style so I guess I'm OK...Oh well, it makes me happy just knowing I have it if I need it or if there is somebody I know that is really desperate, I can help them out.

Ray
Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Don't get me wrong, I still have several boxes of vinyl LPs, 45s and 78s plus some High School yearbooks and various pics and paraphernalia, however, I am definitely screwed up.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Ray, you sold or got rid of stuff with the information you had at the time. I can't beat on myself for selling that 64 Corvette coupe for $4500 with all the 350 HP correct parts and the NOS shifter, THAT is what it was worth at the time! I can't beat on myself for selling that near perfect 34 Ford grille for $15 and not having it now out in my garage so I can get $1500, THAT is what it was worth when I sold it. I can't beat myself up for selling that 4" diameter lighted Mobil Gas sign that is now worth twenty times what I sold it for, THAT is what it was worth at the time. I can't beat myself up for selling that Model A coupe body for a hundred bucks, THAT is what it was worth back then. I can't beat myself for selling my house for $115K that was later worth $650K THAT is what it was worth!

We make decisions with information we have at the time, we can't look back with hindsight and beat ourselves up. It's like being mad you didn't bet on the Giants to win the World series at the start of the 2012 season, NOW after knowing they won it.

I figure that if I never seen to need something until a week after I get rid of it, so I might as well get rid of it today and need it next week instead of storing it for 10 years, throwing it out and needing it the next week.

The "beanie babies" yeow, does that bring up another hoarder I know. HOLY COW this woman had a 3500 square foot home FILLED to the brim with every "collectable" you can imagine. She had "Smurfs". Beanie babies, Cabbage Patch kids, THOUSANDS, TENS of thousands of dollars of them! She lost it all, lost the house, lost it all. And when I spoke to her about her about having a garage sale after her house was foreclosed on and she had a few months to get it all out, I told her have a garage sale and sell it cheap enough where you KNOW it will all go, make people have fist fights to get it out of there it's so cheap she told me "My neighbors would get mad because of people parking in front of their house". She lost it all.

Brian
Old 04-02-2013, 09:16 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Hey Brian, I just read your last post...now I'm confused, am I a hoarder or not...it's not affecting my life style so I guess I'm OK...Oh well, it makes me happy just knowing I have it if I need it or if there is somebody I know that is really desperate, I can help them out.

Ray
This is one of the reasons I posted this thread, to hear this type of stuff, I don't know, I certainly am not an expert in the subject, that is why I made my list, are those points in the list accurate? If it isn't affecting you at all, I guess it's not "hoarding"? I don't know, that is one of the problems with hoarders, they justify it, so are we justifying hoarding because we can SAY it isn't affecting us? I don't know, it is very complicated obviously.

Brian
Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet View Post
Don't get me wrong, I still have several boxes of vinyl LPs, 45s and 78s plus some High School yearbooks and various pics and paraphernalia, however, I am definitely screwed up.
There is certainly nothing wrong with having "several boxes" of vinyl records, or anything else. It's when you have to step over them to get into a room. I have a few in the bottom of my closet too. I picked up a record player a while ago (from a hoarder friend of mine who isn't hoarding anymore) and put it out in my garage and will spin the vinyl on it from my childhood while working out there, it's a gas.

The year books, now those babies I took out of their boxes years ago and put them on shelf in the living room. I refer to them often when I hear a name of a classmate.

Brian
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

hoarder

You tell me if I'm a hoarder. Last summer we were going to have a fish fry, so I asked my wife if we had a deep fat fryer, she said yes it was in the pantry in it's box. Well I got it out, the box was opened so I thought we must have used it along the way but I didn't remember using it. well I went about getting it out of the box, and it seemed like it had never been out of it before. I got it out and it looked brand new,asked the wife when we bought it she said we didn't it was a wedding gift. Ok I had a 45 year old brand new deep fat fryer. It even had a cloth cord wrapping on it.

I took it out side, plugged it in, it heated the oil right up. I had moved 8 times since I got that fryer, never opened it, I have tools in their boxes that I have never used, I buy them because I like tools. Even at my age I see a tool that looks neat or I don't have, I want to buy it. I need new tools like I need a hole in my head.

I have 8 Winchester model 97 shotguns I had 16 at one time, did I need them no, but they are my favorite shotgun. all mine that I have left are all over 100 years old but all shootable sp? I have a bunch of shotguns all pumps, all old. None of these affect my life in how I live, so me I'm more a collecter than a hoarder.

Bob
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

if it wasn't for hoarders most old cars would've been out of luck with parts years ago..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gearheadslife For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (04-02-2013), Bad Rat (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

X2 on that one.

And Bob, I think your right, your a collector...I've thought about this, my shop and home are clean, if you open a closet it's well organized, I collect 2 things, cars and parts and I don't have that many of either that you can't get in my yard or walk around in my shop where I store my parts...in a room...in bins...with a door.

Oh Bob, I gotta tell you this one. My first wife and I got married in 79 and we got a pizza warmer with a paisley decorated lid, I swear it was a through back from the 60's and one of our relatives re-gifted it. 20 some years go by and we decide to have a garage sale and who comes to our garage sale but the people that gave us the pizza warmer and it's for sale for $5.00. They where talking among themselves and my cousins wife says, "didn't we used to have one like that", my cousin says "it looks familiar, lets get it"...so no haggling...I finally got something for a wedding gift from them that I could use...$5.00...LOL

Ray
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane View Post
You tell me if I'm a hoarder. Last summer we were going to have a fish fry, so I asked my wife if we had a deep fat fryer, she said yes it was in the pantry in it's box. Well I got it out, the box was opened so I thought we must have used it along the way but I didn't remember using it. well I went about getting it out of the box, and it seemed like it had never been out of it before. I got it out and it looked brand new,asked the wife when we bought it she said we didn't it was a wedding gift. Ok I had a 45 year old brand new deep fat fryer. It even had a cloth cord wrapping on it.

I took it out side, plugged it in, it heated the oil right up. I had moved 8 times since I got that fryer, never opened it, I have tools in their boxes that I have never used, I buy them because I like tools. Even at my age I see a tool that looks neat or I don't have, I want to buy it. I need new tools like I need a hole in my head.

I have 8 Winchester model 97 shotguns I had 16 at one time, did I need them no, but they are my favorite shotgun. all mine that I have left are all over 100 years old but all shootable sp? I have a bunch of shotguns all pumps, all old. None of these affect my life in how I live, so me I'm more a collecter than a hoarder.

Bob

LOL, I have an icecream machine up in my attic that I have never used, wedding present from 22 years ago. No I am not talking about something like A deep fat fryer, but if you had three or four of them new in the box I would say you are a hoarder. The person I moved last weekend had 5 count-um, FIVE mixing machines for the kitchen. She had THREE sewing machines possibly used a time or two. She had BOXES upon BOXES of photos, we are talking MANY boxes, yet not a single one on the wall or on a shelf, ZERO.

The funny thing about this issue is if you were to look at any one item, and hear the story on why they own it, if you or I or anyone you know had this ONE item bought and stored as this woman has done it would be perfectly normal. But when you have 158,251 items all with a similar story, that is when things go wrong, just wrong.

Brian
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
if it wasn't for hoarders most old cars would've been out of luck with parts years ago..
That is very true, but on the same note if every single vintage car and part were have been saved we would have streets and driveways full of 34 Fords and 56 Corvettes, they would be old hat and they wouldn't be as precious to us.

So it goes both ways.

Brian
Old 04-03-2013, 12:18 PM

Last photo:

I hear what your saying Brian. Like my guns they are all on display, every night I go turn the lights on them, if some one is coming over or not I just like to look at them. All my guns are like me old, I have 2 Ruger .357 Revolvers one has never been fired and the other has been fired once.

And no I don't have a bunch of deep fat fryers, and until last summer I didn't know I had one even after 45 years of it sitting in a pantry in open sight.

Bob

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.