You just never know..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You just never know.....

Was a little bit flattered today when I received an e-mail from a publishing company in Boston. Seems the authors of a new text book on automotive repair want to include a picture of mine (from my web site) in the book. The photo is nothing earth shattering (just fabricating a mount and installing an AC compressor on an early hemi) but I'm pleased they considered using it..... and I (my web site) will receive credit in the book for the picture.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Congrats!

Will you get a signed copy?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I doubt it. They offered to pay me for the rights to the pic but I just told them to use it gratis. Their letter said the first printing will be 4900 copies with subsequent printings to follow. Don't think they plan on sending me a free copy since the price is going to be just over $20 for the book itself. If they did that for every pic they probably wouldn't have any left to sell.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Good job Centerline!!!!! I guess your going big time now... Don't forget me when you make it to the top.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centerline
I doubt it. They offered to pay me for the rights to the pic but I just told them to use it gratis. Their letter said the first printing will be 4900 copies with subsequent printings to follow. Don't think they plan on sending me a free copy since the price is going to be just over $20 for the book itself. If they did that for every pic they probably wouldn't have any left to sell.
10 years ago when I was selling pics to magazines I was getting anywhere from $200 to $750 a pic, depending on the size used and where it was placed in the mag. To print that book it will cost them less than five dollars.

I think you are short changing yourself. I bet they didn't offer you much for the pic neither. This is the way publishers are ripping off the professionals by using amateur photographers and paying them in copies of the book or by giving them a credit or just plain stealing the pics from websites.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:56 PM
68firebird

Last photo:

Look at it this way Centerline...You designed the bracket and now someone is capitalizing on your hard work. As an engineer I like to get paid for my designs...It is easy to look at a picture and describe how to make a bracket. I would get a free copy of the book out of the deal.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Centerline, you're just going to have to make the BIG BUCKS on the next picture that gets published!

Congrats!
Dan
Old 09-30-2008, 06:05 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Good job, Centerline....It's nice to see something built at home.....Too many guys these days couldn't fabricate anything if their life depended on it....They need a "kit" for everything....or farm it out. You are a true..."Shadetree Mechanic".................

Budget RVs
Old 09-30-2008, 06:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
Good job, Centerline....It's nice to see something built at home.....Too many guys these days couldn't fabricate anything if their life depended on it....They need a "kit" for everything....or farm it out. You are a true..."Shadetree Mechanic".................

man O man are those ever true words! I got stories.

Congrats to Centerline

Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,008 Posts
All I know is don't ever get too excited about "seeing your name in print" because I will be damned if they won't screw something up every time! My brother gave them typed out info that still gets screwed up. They will desribe something totally wrong (like saying coil over shocks when it has leaf springs) when it is sitting right in front of them in the picture!

Recently my brother gave a LOT of info to a guy writing a book. All on the promise that it would have his name and number there so they know where this brilliant information came from. He finally got a copy (had to buy it) and the guy had put his words, word for word throughout the book. Every chapter had something he had said. Then all the way at the back of the book is the list of "reference sources" or something like that. And there he is in a list of about twenty other scmucks.

Now, the last one he was in, they did him right. He is mentioned over and over including photos of the products he sells. This magazine is a class act and they came thru with flying colors.

But don't expect that, don't get all fired up for what they tell you they will do, you may very well be disappointed.

Just have fun with it and don't hang on their promises.

Brian
Old 09-30-2008, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
All I know is don't ever get too excited about "seeing your name in print" because I will be damned if they won't screw something up every time! My brother gave them typed out info that still gets screwed up. They will desribe something totally wrong (like saying coil over shocks when it has leaf springs) when it is sitting right in front of them in the picture!

Recently my brother gave a LOT of info to a guy writing a book. All on the promise that it would have his name and number there so they know where this brilliant information came from. He finally got a copy (had to buy it) and the guy had put his words, word for word throughout the book. Every chapter had something he had said. Then all the way at the back of the book is the list of "reference sources" or something like that. And there he is in a list of about twenty other scmucks.

Now, the last one he was in, they did him right. He is mentioned over and over including photos of the products he sells. This magazine is a class act and they came thru with flying colors.

But don't expect that, don't get all fired up for what they tell you they will do, you may very well be disappointed.

Just have fun with it and don't hang on their promises.

Brian

You are so correct...I have had some of my work and my 57 nomad shot for magazines. I even made some covers with some of my work... but that means absolutly nothing if they cant even spell your name correctly.

Tim

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.