Hot Rod Forum banner

You need vintage tools for working on vintage cars. :)

3K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  dinger 
#1 ·
How do you like this vintage compressor my co-worker uses for his art work. Look at the condition of this darn thing. He bought it for a few bucks at a flee market.

Brian

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Most of you younger

people will find most of the time the older made stuff is always better, no matter what it is tools or cars and parts. This was when craftsman had pride in what they made and sold. They were not in a hurry to get a 30 hr week and run home to mommy. Today we have metal not much thicker than tin foil on cars, and loads of Vinyl and plastic. Or its made in China and the person trying to sell it to you cant speak English. Then there is the metric thing , I wont even go into it...Things were generally better except for medicine etc and some others. Manufacturing absolutely sucks now.

#5 ·
Now days everything is made to have a short life span. All the companies that made a high quality product went out of business. They found out, As Johnson outboards did when you make a quality product that lasts you put yourself out of business. When you make something that lasts a little while then breaks the customer returns in quick order to buy another one so the money keeps coming in and thus keeps you in business.

#6 ·
Older stuff

DoubleVision said:
Now days everything is made to have a short life span. All the companies that made a high quality product went out of business. They found out, As Johnson outboards did when you make a quality product that lasts you put yourself out of business. When you make something that lasts a little while then breaks the customer returns in quick order to buy another one so the money keeps coming in and thus keeps you in business.
That's what the Big 3 counted on for years & years! And look what happened to them! Meanwhile, some Japanese companies built something that people would keep for 5 or 6 years and then come back for one that is likely to last as well. The former "if it lives 2-3 years, its good enough" mentality is a large part of what sank the Big 3.

Nissan also fell into that trap and nearly went under (now they are Renault/Nissan). For a few years, Honda specialized in making cars that rusted out in a year or two, and that cost them, big time!

BMW & Mercedes have lost a lot of luster because a 5 year-old seems to cost more for annual maintenance than its residual value (and having them appear on various list of "worst car of the year" is not helping their rep.

#8 ·
I love a good engineering bash as much as the next fella; but product engineering today is so much different than in the last century.

Consider, most automobiles today are far safer, more reliable, and more durable than ever before. Yes they have a lot of plastics, electronics, etc. But in some cases the systems are better, and the materials are superior to other choices, both in cost and function. (Not that there aren't some poor design examples to be found)

The engineering for these cars and other products includes requirements for cost, safety, environmental impact, and a long list of other factors, in addition to the product design.

Ultimately it is us the consumer who chooses quality vs price. Chevrolet would love to build high end cars, but who would pay $100k for a new Camaro?

Now if I could just buy a weed eater that works.

#10 ·
Brian's going to need a bigger shop! :D

FWIW, I'm no better. I drove past a yard sale, and bought a 40's / 50's? vintage "beer fridge" just because it looked kinda "retro".

The Granny that owned it was moving into a retirement home ... and my guess is that her kids were really tired of moving it around. HEAVY for such a small fridge!

Hmmm ... I wonder what kind of MTBF rating it had? :D

#12 ·
yep, old fridges and freezers are power thirsty. that is not to say there not as good. just the technology was not there... My grandparents shut down a Sears& Roebuck freezer bought new in 1959 for the last time in 2006. it lived in there damp basement for 30 years, and it rusted out enough that it would not keep temp any longer, but it was still running and cooling when they shut it down.. Doubt a new cube will last that long, but it will run at 1/2 the energy cost, so it's a trade off.. Probably talking about $25-30 diffrence in yearly cost tho.

#14 ·
Cool compressors... :thumbup:

Not sure how old it is, but this old battery charger still gets used almost daily in my shop.

Found this at a garage sale about ten years ago after having three new battery chargers bite the dust after only a few months of use.

Most modern microprocessor controlled battery chargers will not charge a stone-dead battery.....luckily my stone-age battery charger still will..... :thumbup:

#16 ·
66GMC said:
Brian's going to need a bigger shop! :D

FWIW, I'm no better. I drove past a yard sale, and bought a 40's / 50's? vintage "beer fridge" just because it looked kinda "retro".

The Granny that owned it was moving into a retirement home ... and my guess is that her kids were really tired of moving it around. HEAVY for such a small fridge!

Hmmm ... I wonder what kind of MTBF rating it had? :D
My beer fridge I bought used in 1980 from my sister in law who bought it used in 1972. It still runs mint when I use it. It does use some electricity however. Costs $20 a month or so to run it

#21 ·
Bad Rat said:
Nice Goat,, I doubt that would eat grass,, but I bet it would dig a couple of ruts in it
I have a poncho myself only its a huge size 6X 69 bonneville
just came back from the paint shop
Finally get to see pics of the B-Ville!

A weedeater that works? I have a Bush Hog, battery powered, that I got from Sears. Uses .20 line, automatically feeds, have had 2 over the last 5 years and they have NEVER failed me, never had to pull the line, never a snafu. I have 2 batteries, if you don't have a huge area to work, you will love this machine. I live on a corner, have a lot of fence and mowing curb, trees and one battery will get it done most times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.