You never know where you can find something to help you out on your car. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 07:41 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
You never know where you can find something to help you out on your car.

I took the shifter bezel for my car out of box yesterday to find that the darn "slider" thingie that covers the hole when you move the shifter back and forth had broken. I did a little search and couldn't find it for sale on line so I was kinda stuck. Probably could have found one eventually but I want it NOW.

I got the idea to use the material that a three ring binder is made from. It is a little thin but should work I thought. I went to our very large hardware store here in town and walked the isles looking for something to use that may be a little thicker. A drain bucket, but it was too thick, I searched every goofy thing you can think of that I could cut up to make it. And low and behold they have a little office section there and had a black binder.

$2.88 and I had my material. I cut it with a razor and aluminum ruler. Then punch a hole in it using a piece of thin brass tubing (craft type stuff) that I had by simply hammering on the top of it to push it thru the plastic while sitting on a thick piece of tempered glass I use on the bench.

It worked like a charm! I think better than the original piece which was too stiff if you ask me.

Check out the photo, what is left of the binder is on the left, my bezel, then the piece I made and last on the right is the original.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2883.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	64495  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I put the tail pipe for a who knows what under my '51 Chevy. Fit's pretty good. just have to cut and reposition the very rear to get it out from under the gas tank..

I looked up the orig size for bumper bolts for it also. 10 7/16"x 1.75" carraige bolts. Chevsofthe40s price was $25 for the kit.. Went to town to get some in , but the hardware was closed.. Went to another localish hardware and they went from 3/8"-1/2". no 7/16".. Lowes, HD, same thing. figured I was going to have to go to Fastenal to get them.. stopped in the hardware another day getting somthing else and found them... Got home, painted them black ( don't have $$$ for rechrome ) and later went to hang the bumpers... there 1/2"

So I gotta get some 1/2" carraige bolts from the hardware.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM
never 2 old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I took the shifter bezel for my car out of box yesterday to find that the darn "slider" thingie that covers the hole when you move the shifter back and forth had broken. I did a little search and couldn't find it for sale on line so I was kinda stuck. Probably could have found one eventually but I want it NOW.

I got the idea to use the material that a three ring binder is made from. It is a little thin but should work I thought. I went to our very large hardware store here in town and walked the isles looking for something to use that may be a little thicker. A drain bucket, but it was too thick, I searched every goofy thing you can think of that I could cut up to make it. And low and behold they have a little office section there and had a black binder.

$2.88 and I had my material. I cut it with a razor and aluminum ruler. Then punch a hole in it using a piece of thin brass tubing (craft type stuff) that I had by simply hammering on the top of it to push it thru the plastic while sitting on a thick piece of tempered glass I use on the bench.

It worked like a charm! I think better than the original piece which was too stiff if you ask me.

Check out the photo, what is left of the binder is on the left, my bezel, then the piece I made and last on the right is the original.

Brian

Looks great. I agree, it looks like it will work better
Old 04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Psychomotors

Pretty cool thinking outside the box!
Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM

Last photo:

Yeah and it just hit me out of the blue the other night. Funny thing is if I had bought a Chinese "reproduction" it probably wouldn't have worked as well! You know it, it would have been too thick or too wide or something.

Brian
Old 04-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

Boy I sure love making something I need from something around the house or something cheap!
I put a B&M shifter in my '71 Camaro a couple years ago and they didn't make an insert for the console to make it a finished installation. I bought some scraps of 18ga. aluminum sheetmetal and bent it up in the vise with a couple pieces of wood. Then I put it all together with pop rivets and JB Weld. Ground the rivets off after it set up, and covered it with black naugahyde looking vinyl shelf paper from Home Depot.
Cost me a whopping $10 for the whole project, and it looks like it came in the car when done.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:23 PM
From the middle of the world

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

my friend, this is the way we must do for mostly everything, sometimes we wish we had access to the stores you guys have in USA but since it's either too expensive importing goods or too troublesome, we must make do with wathever is around, it's not uncommon making complete body parts, like hoods or bumpers from scratch, or using a Toyota Hi-ace van front suspension under a '63 Chevy Nova, same width and hey it even has disc brakes
Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

Believe me, I know this. I don't know first hand, but I have a friend who grew up in Argentina and he has told me stories that were frankly, darn near unbelievable. One was when he welded an broken axle back together in a big diesel rig. We have it easy, and I salute you!

Brian
Old 04-29-2012, 08:49 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

That's what we call hotrodding here in the USA! Taking a body we like, then put in engine, trans, rearend, and suspension we like! Mix or match until it does what we like!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Believe me, I know this. I don't know first hand, but I have a friend who grew up in Argentina and he has told me stories that were frankly, darn near unbelievable. One was when he welded an broken axle back together in a big diesel rig. We have it easy, and I salute you!

Brian
oh yea..!! been there done that, welding broken axles is common practice here, also when the bearing race wears out we use manganese welding rods to fill up the worn part and ground 'em back to normal size, then some case hardening and the axle is back in service.

I should write a wiki article about all this stuff, many of this tricks were tought by american guys that came here after WW2 and tougth our granparents the tricks they used when the USA was at war and supplies were scarce, we added our own ingenuity afterwards.

saludos amigo
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

Sometimes it is the strangest things you find to fill what seem like impossible holes in your modification or repair.

Its not really Hotrodding, but my daily driver (mid 90s volvo wagon) had problems with the air conditioning compressor not staying engaged. The official fix was removing it from the car, pulling the damn thing apart, and removing shims from the clutch assembly. The simple solution, that I heard about from a local volvo repair shop, was super gluing 3 of those little plastic clips that come holding bread bags closed in like every grocery store into the clutch. Took about 15 minutes with the compressor still in the car. Still works great a couple years later.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 PM

I wonder if we could call hotrodder a redneck...!! LOL

hey they used 32 Ford radiators as stills.. didn't they..???
Old 04-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

Good stuff! I've done this for several of my projects. One on my sons 66 VW fastback. There is a rubber boot that is used to connect the two parts of the air cleaner assembly. It's a small oval shaped opening about 4" long. Went to lowes looking around. In the plumbing section I found a sewage drain pipe connector with metal flashing around it with large hose clamps. It was round of course. But after removing the outer flashing and squeezing the rubber section it was almost the exact size and shape of the original piece! Think I paid 8 bucks for it. The reproduction piece sells for 60 bucks if I recall! Such a simple piece that is rarely seen. Only an expert would tell the difference. So who cares! It works!
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM

Last photo:

axle soun bearing

I was about 200 miles from home and spun an axle bearing, inner race was completly gone.In the gas station/garage there was a man in oil staind overals.He told me that I would have to get a new axle. Well, it was a 1955 ford pannel truck and I was sure I couldn't find one.I asked him if he had a center punch and a hammer I could use. He aked me what for, I told him I was going to do a hand kneral on the area where the inner race would go. He smerked somthing about 5000 lbs press fit,and walked away. I sat there with the hammer and center punch for about 45 min. After I was done, asked him if I could use his press,and he said that he would do it. As he pressed the raceway on I watched the gage go up in pouds and goodnes, what do you think it read,that's right 5000 lbs. The man never charged me, and shook my hand ,and I had never replaced that axle for as long as I had that truck. Boy I shure miss that truck.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed

Last photo:

Just yesterday I made my trunk battery hold down out of angle iron I hack sawed off our broken bed frame and a ratchet strap. Maybe not NHRA approved but it keeps the battery from falling in to the spare tire well(AGAIN)when I punch it.......lol

Tags
diy, home-made tools

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.