You will cry, squeamish Classic lovers please don't open. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,278 Times in 1,119 Posts
You will cry, squeamish Classic lovers please don't open.

This was my 64 Nova SS, my second paint job. I painted over the original paint, it had ZERO rust, a couple of small dents, that was it. Interior perfect, not a tear.

After I painted it I put it up for sale and no one wanted it for the $500 I was asking for it so I figured I would chop the top. I was 18, what the heck, I will learn something on it. I never finished it and it went off to the wreckers. The year was 1977.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

I have lost all respect for you!
Hahahaha
Just joking
You learn from your mistakes. But cutting the roof off a perfect car probably wasn't one of the best ideas Lol.
If it makes you feel any better i tried to modify the grill on my audi but ended up completely destroying it and throwing it away, so i sold the car with no grill lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i like that body style
rust free body, new paint and a $500 price tag?
dang the stuff we wasted in those years, yep i'm crying...
78 to 85 i ran many a classic in demo derbys
Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Brian --- Buddy --- how could you.

Well, that brings back memories. In 1974 I had a nice 67 Firebird and I heard that a guy down the road had a 69 Firebird with a weird hood and that it was for sale but the motor had a rod through the block and the driver's side front quarter was hit. I looked at the car, bought it for the hood. Now what to do with a 69 Firebird with no motor, hood and a nice dent in the front fender and headlight bezels.

Of course my buddy comes up with the idea of dragging it to the local rock quarry, steel some blasting caps and dynamite and for posterity, get it all on 8 mm film.

I can't say for sure if it was a true TA, all I know now is the hood was. My butt is still bruised from kicking myself years later, hey, I was 18 and knew everything.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Freezing in arctic Iowa

Last wiki edit: Pre-1980 VIN decoding
Last journal entry: 1978 Chevy pickup battery tray repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 409

I can hardly see to type though the tears.

The kids and I cut the top off a car and it's still topless. It's an 85 Subaru, we used it as a four wheeler around the farm and we had all kinds of fun. I haven't started it in years.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:38 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

Farmer that is much like the B210 datsun that suddenly lost its lid one day when my older brother learned how to use the torch,,,instant farm buggy,,,if only I had 1/10'th of the pictures we shoulda taken.

Brian your a bad man! ha

In that last pic it looks like you cut the top off to let the tree grow through the thing man you guys love your tree's on the coast
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

Yea, I think it was 1977 when a buddy called me to help him make a dune buggy; he just bought a 1960 Studebaker Lark for $35. We rolled it on its side and torched the frame off, welded the seat to the frame and a radiator support and we were off and running. I sometime wonder how any of us survived our youth.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Last photo:

The Nova did live on a little bit, I pulled the rear end and the gas tank for my truck before calling the wreckers. Ran the rear end and the tank for 10 years or so before I pulled the rear to install a 67 High Horse (traction bar equipped) 12 bolt.

My brother remembers towing a 62 Impala convertible home for the motor and then running up the trunk of the car on to the roof and falling thru.

Brian
Old 10-19-2012, 11:08 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
My brother remembers towing a 62 Impala convertible home for the motor and then running up the trunk of the car on to the roof and falling thru.

Brian
as i'm getting over your last indiscretion you throw this at me, boo hoo
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Back in the mid 60's in the heyday of top fuel and top gas there were probably 40-50 teams running 392's here in the Twin Cities. A number of machine shops made a good living off of us. there used to be as many 392 block waiting for machine work as there were SBC.

There were many, many boat anchors made out of 392 blocks and heads. I know we made 6 blocks and about a dozen heads.

One memorible occasion we purchased a 58 Imperial with a 392 for $50. We literally "pulled" the motor out with a wrecker. Quick work with a couple air wrenches stripped the motor down to the bare block. We kept the block, the crank( for a welded stroker core), the heads, and the rocker arm assy. We thru the rest back into the car which had a nearly spotless interior, busted out the windows and sledgehammered the body a bit. hahah then we hauled it to the junk yard. We got $25 for the remains.

By the time the late hemi (426) arrived most of the 392's in the Twin Cities had disappeared. Even in the 70's they were hard to come by after we got done with them.

Then we started on the 426's . By the late 70's most of the 426's had disappeared too. Fortunately the new aluminum blocks and heads began appearing along with the aftermarket parts. (all of this along with the skyrocketing price of parts).

The guys building streetrod stuff today with hemis of any kind are faced with huge costs today. I recently saw a complete 392 out of a junk car for over $5000.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:14 PM
hold my beer and watch this!

Last photo:

Me and my buddy chopped up a roof to put in T-tops. Worked great until about 80 mph, bye bye T-tops!! LOL Lucky it was only a Dodge Aspen
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

about six, seven, maybe even eight Summers ago I was driving my 70 AMX around the neighbourhood and would drive past this group of 14 or 15 year old kids. As I'd drive by, they'd stare and point and just watch the car go down the street. One day I was filling up with gas and noticed that two of the kids where running up to the car. The first kid looked inside and said, " I didn't know the new Challenger is going to be a two seater," The second kid pipped up and said, "don't be stupid, this is a prototype," looked at me sheepishly and added, "right".

I spent a little time with the young lads and explained what an AMX was. I can just imagine what was going through their heads and the discussions they had, how they came up with Challenger I thought was kind of cool and I respect the ingenuity and at least they where thinking and try to come up with a solution...wrong...but at any rate, as solution.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Found another photo of the Nova. Poor thing.

Brian

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.