Young activist...or scared teenager? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2003, 12:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Young activist...or scared teenager?

I go to a little continuation high school. We have a Young Parent Program. It is where pregnant/parenting teens can still get an education and have the responsability of raising a child. The district is trying to take the campus away and put the school on a much larger campus. Almost all of the good points about our school is that it is small. The program would be ultimatly distroyed if it is moved.

I am e-mailing news crews, calling news papers and getting personal statements from kids at school. I am also going to get up on the 19th of March and give a huge speech. But I am scared and I don't know if what I am doing is right. Help?!?!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2003, 12:19 PM
BLACK BEAST

Last photo:

Its a free country.If you believ on what your doing and have supporters,I would say go for it.Good Luck
Old 03-09-2003, 12:35 PM

Thanks Neil, as the days get closer to the board meeting, the more nervous I get! But thanks!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Pontiac Knowledge Base Editor

Last photo:

"If you believe wont you please raise your hands. Lets here your voices, let us know where you stand.
Dont shout from the shadows cause it wont mean a damb.
Now more than ever!" (John Mellencamp)

If you dont get up on that soap box who will? If you really want to save your school then suck it up get real mad and let them have it. Speak from your heart. If you really believe in the words you are speaking then they will just flow out of you like poetry. Dont even think about it. You have to do this, you know that, so just do it. Be strong and let them all know how you feel!
Keep in mind that other people are behind you in this. You are not alone!
Old 03-09-2003, 06:38 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Talk to members of your school to get their ideals and thoughts. Be sure to search out those that have a different opinion than yours so you can be prepared to address pros and cons. Make an outline of what you want to say and write it down. You obviously have a computer so put it in there and make changes, re arrange and try to get your thoughts and points organized in a logical sequence that flows together and builds support. Then flesh out your outline. Charts, graphs and pictures can say alot for your case and can bring your audience's wandering minds back to your pitch. Make a double or tripple spaced copy of your pitch so you can follow along to make sure you stay on track and not leave any thing out. Don't read to your audience!! Now practice, practice, practice!! Bring in some of your supporters and let them make suggestions. Listen to them and don't disagree verbally. If you like their ideals, make the changes and thank them for their inputs. The best of speakers get clammy hands and are nervous so don't panic because all your preparation and your conviction will come through for you when you number is called!!!! If some one interrupts you with a question, respond if you know the answer, if you are do not have the answer or are unsure, tell them so.

You can do it!!

Trees

Trees
Old 03-09-2003, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys. I have written my speech like 5 times and I think I have finally got the finished product. I have that almost memorized. I took a survey with the 9th, 10th and 11th graders at my school, and got a very good result that I am also using in my speech. I wrote a letter to the students that I will dispence tomorrow asking if any students that don't want to get up and speak infront of the board to see if they will write be a personal statement so I can use it in my presentation. I have sent e-mail to three TV news stations and two radio stations and two news papers. All local and State wide. I think that I am pretty prepaired, but I am still really nervous. I know I am going to get some people kinda pissed at me. But I also know that I am doing a good thing. Just because I am graduating doesn't mean that I have to leave the school a mess when I go.

Thanks guys!!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:08 PM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Mustangbaby, is perfectly natural to be nervous when public speaking. Its the number one fear in America, death is a close second.

When writing you speach you just have to keep a few things in mind. When addressing an audience never look at one person for more than five seconds. Look out over the entire audience, this will help the audience to feel as if your talking to each person and not just one person or one segment of the croud. Second thing is to speak overall. make sure that all your points and facts speak not only from your personal opinion, but from the opinions of many others. Try to limit the use of "I". Also try to state indivudual cases that this program your trying to save has helped people. Try to interveiw one or more of the students and use their stories as proof its a worth while program. When speaking don't figit, you know your nervous, but no one else needs to know. Stand fast, keep for feet on the floor, don't shift your weight and try to limit hand movement. If you want to move and it helps you, walk from one side of the stage to the other. The stronger you appear the more likely people will want to follow you. Also by standing fast and masking your nervousness the audience will think you are even more steadfast in your cause then you may actually be. If you run into a snag where you don't have but a small amount of evidence or information to back it up, be polight, but vegue.

If you need to say something it will offend someone in this society, but it its to promote good, by all means scream.

To help you avoid getting really nervous when speaking, don't distinguish between each person, if you have to don't even look at them, look at something nearby them. People get nervous when they look someone in the eye and see they are an actual person. Fear is just a feeling like you feel hungry or feel cold, it can't affect the outcome of anything unless you let it. If what your saying is important then say it. If it angers some people that good, anger is a emotional response to something that hits close to home. Any emotionall responce to your speach is good, that means someone listening and above all hearing what you said. Remember, no one else can make you feel anything you don't want to feel.

HK
Old 03-10-2003, 08:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

To be effective in an emotion packed speaking opportunity like this, you MUST speak with emotion. The very best, proven, ALWAYS effective way to guarantee that you will be absolutely and in all other ways UNEMOTIONAL in your speech is to read it. DON'T READ YOUR SPEECH!!!!!!! You will be infinitely more effective, even if you forget to include some seemingly important points, if you give your speech from your heart, looking at your audience rather than talking to a sheet of paper. Study your speech as you are doing, then take up a single 5x7 note card with one or two word reminders of the 3 to 5 points you want to make, then pour out your heart.

Also, I find it helpful to tone my voice as though I were speaking to the person farthest back in the audience. This helps your voice project so everyone hears.

Remember that you have no trouble sharing your view with passion in a small group of people, like you have on this forum. A speech is the same thing except you have the opportunity to reach a lot more people who are very interested in hearing what you have to say.

[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: willys36@aol.com ]</p>

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.