Your experience with a " ratchet shifter"? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2008, 12:59 AM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepi
A shifter I have found that works nicely is the B&M mega shifter, out preforms Hurst hands down. The hurst stick must be pulled up to get to reverse that is one huge bad design for actual driving and parking. I will give it to hurst for 4 speeds but slush boxes (auto trans) B&M wins that one.
I had the mega shifter in my car and broke the t handle 3 times. I would re-thread it and it would get smaller and smaller. I actually pulled the shifter handle off the shifter when I banged it too hard. After about a week of driving the hurst ratchet going to reverse or park is not a big deal. I can do it as fast as a new car floor shifter and I dont even think about it. The only time I had trouble was when I broke my right wrist and had to shift with my left.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Boost Retard

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashback View Post
I've used a bunch of different aftermarket shifters over the years.
I always prefer the B&M Pro Ratchet over the rest. It is easy to set-up & has a positive action & is spring returned & ready for the next shift. Missed shifts are a thing of the past once I install this shifter. You just ratchet it into low & slam it forward for each gear change. Trip the lever & ratchet into reverse or park, it's that easy. This is a beefy unit made to last....the universal one has a pin to go from 3 to 4 speed shifts.
Steer clear of cheap shifters, the ratchet design provides safety features you can't ignore.
My experience with Quarter Stick shifters, they're OK for powerglides, but having to squeeze the lever when you need to go into 3rd has caused me more than one headache.
I've used & like the Hurst Pro-Matic also. It's handy because you pull it up to go into reverse or park, & it has a nice chrome cover. The B&M Pro Ratchet has a perfectly functunal aluminum cover.
Good luck, Bill S
Old thread but those 2 shifters are on my short list, which of the 2 would you choose for a street strip car?
Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback View Post
Old thread but those 2 shifters are on my short list, which of the 2 would you choose for a street strip car?

Yes, an old thread. The member you ask the question of has not logged in for near 5 years. There may be no answer coming
Old 04-02-2013, 08:44 PM

Last photo:

I have a hurst pro-matic 2 for the 700r4. it's operation is a little different because of it being a 4spd but I like it.

my 700r4 is stock as far as the shift patterns go.
from park, I pull up, and back and let it drop.. that's reverse
then push down and pull back again, that's neutral
let it return to the 'rest position' pull it back part way until it 'clicks' and I'm in drive.

from drive, if I yank it all the way back, it will let me make a 4-2 downshift.
then let it go and pull back one more time for 1st.

then it's slam it forward and let it go to up shift one gear at a time.
it won't let you into neutral unless you pull UP on the shift knob to clear the lock out. i've learned to pull up on it just right, and I can slide it straight from drive into park.. which is kinda handy on the street :>

since I have a bench seat, I used the 'truck' style shifter with the longer handle..
http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/shif...on_shifter.jpg

i was working on a custom center console when I took this pic..
http://home.comcast.net/~kc8oye/inte...eprogress2.jpg
Closed Thread

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.