Your experience with a " ratchet shifter"? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your experience with a " ratchet shifter"?

Well my friends its time to let the ol' shifter go.. sloppy doesn't begin to explain its function haha ! more then an inch of play left to right top to bottom. I'm thinking about the V shifter from hurst. I hear its a little tricky to get used to at first. Is this shifter something that will be comfortable while street driving?

thanks
bill C

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

ratchet shifter

Dont waste your time or money on this junk. I have had 4 of them,[2 used-2 new] yes,I am a slow learner, I never could get any of them to work properly.They look cool,but dont work very well.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A friend of mine had one in a 67 Dart four speed with a 440 transplant, he still complains that the ligaments on the back of his right hand are permanently scarred from driving with that shifter. I tried it many times and hated it except for a straight line drag race where you could really hammer at it and not miss the shift.

For a daily driver....NEVER!
Old 07-08-2008, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

I always wanted a ratcheting shifter that you could override to work as a detent style. I finally ran across this one and tried it. I sold my Mega & Hammer shifters because I like these so much better. Detent for the street and ratchet for race. They're strong too, heavy gauge metal. He has a console style now that wasn't available when I bought my last one. Also they are cheaper on Ebay.

http://www.kilduffmachine.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPjA7N6tTus
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 AM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Hey, well i went in and checked out the B&M ratchet shifter and ya it seems a little awkward. I really like the Kilduff shifter actions, but for me it looks a little bulky i think. I guess i'll keep looking.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I installed a "Hurts" Pro-matic in my mud truck only because it was really cheap at the time and the truck was hacked up enough to not be able to use anything stock in it.

It took a lot of getting used to, but made many friends not want to drive it because they couldn't figure out how to get it into drive from park even after showing them and explaining it while sitting in the passenger seat.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
I installed a "Hurts" Pro-matic in my mud truck only because it was really cheap at the time and the truck was hacked up enough to not be able to use anything stock in it.

It took a lot of getting used to, but made many friends not want to drive it because they couldn't figure out how to get it into drive from park even after showing them and explaining it while sitting in the passenger seat.
I also have the pro-matic in my car and love it. It didnt take long to learn and having your friends not know how to shift it isn't always a bad thing .
Old 07-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just to clarify...I was referring to the Hurst Vertigate shifter for manual transmissions.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:07 PM
More for Less Racer

Best shifters I've found to be the "gated" style-B&M Pro Stick, Hurst Quarter Stick, TCI Cheetah SCS. Most "ratchet" shifters I found to be extremely flimsy and to need almost constant adjustment. The Cheetah is an awesome piece. but rather expensive. The same basic shifter can be had without the NHRA/IHRA mandated reverse lockout from a company called Winters. I do tend to be more race oriented than most people however.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I hate rachet shifters with a passion. They might be a necessary evil for good track times in certain situations, but I would rather stick my hand in a horse's butt than buy a rachet shifter.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 AM

Last photo:

I have been using a b&m ratchet shifter for nine plus years. I adjusted it initially when I installed it and its been great ever since.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I've never owned a traditional 'ratchet shifter' per say, but love my Hurst Quarter Stick (pistol grip). Adjusted and solidly mounted it's fast and reliable. Not too crazy about the reverse lockout...on the other hand it would get very ugly very fast on a power run to visit reverse. It's a forward pattern.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Meat-Head Extroidenaire

Last photo:

Well i mocked two ratchet style shifters up on the counter at lordco. haha. ( with spending habits like mine they don't mind) B&M mega shifter and Hurst ratchet shifter. both lockout Rev. But different still. The B&M is a true ratchet shifter, where as the hurst will allow you to go from first and rip all the way into N !!!! ***? So i may go with the B&M. Only draw back is A. i prefer the look of the hurst unit. and B. in order to shift from drive gears to PARK or REVERSE you must drop back into DRIVE then pull the " t" with your fingers then rip it forwards. I asked my friend who works there to see if he can get me a Hurst handle grip to mount on this B&M shifter.. we'll see.

P.S.
Last year the Rev. lockout would have been handy! try foot on the floor 1/2-3/4 track grabbing reverse instead of Drive!!!! surprisingly enough the only casualty was one alternator belt and my pride. hence the new shifter for this year

Last edited by "70" Cougar; 07-10-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:52 AM

ratchet shifters

I've used a bunch of different aftermarket shifters over the years.
I always prefer the B&M Pro Ratchet over the rest. It is easy to set-up & has a positive action & is spring returned & ready for the next shift. Missed shifts are a thing of the past once I install this shifter. You just ratchet it into low & slam it forward for each gear change. Trip the lever & ratchet into reverse or park, it's that easy. This is a beefy unit made to last....the universal one has a pin to go from 3 to 4 speed shifts.
Steer clear of cheap shifters, the ratchet design provides safety features you can't ignore.
My experience with Quarter Stick shifters, they're OK for powerglides, but having to squeeze the lever when you need to go into 3rd has caused me more than one headache.
I've used & like the Hurst Pro-Matic also. It's handy because you pull it up to go into reverse or park, & it has a nice chrome cover. The B&M Pro Ratchet has a perfectly functunal aluminum cover.
Good luck, Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to flashback For This Useful Post:
Silverback (01-09-2013)
Old 07-11-2008, 07:18 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

A shifter I have found that works nicely is the B&M mega shifter, out preforms Hurst hands down. The hurst stick must be pulled up to get to reverse that is one huge bad design for actual driving and parking. I will give it to hurst for 4 speeds but slush boxes (auto trans) B&M wins that one.
Closed Thread

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.