Your eyes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2007, 08:32 PM

Last journal entry: My 1962 Falcon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your eyes

I have not worked on my 48 chevy now for about 2 months. I lost the sight in my left eye, and now only have one eye to see with. This can really cause a lot of problems in the shop. Your sight for touching something is way off, and can be dangerous. Im starting to get use to it now, but things will never be the same. I just wanted to tell you all about this so you will think more about protecting your eyes when in the shop, as i dont want any of you to have to go through what i have had to. I just have to take more time when working on the 48 and check everything i do over and over to make sure its right. I was so depressed i just wanted to give up, but got my head back on and am doing better now.Anyway please take care of them eyes ok, and i mean that. Take it from someone who has learned first hand. Its no fun having just one eye to see with.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2007, 08:45 PM

Last journal entry: 2 photoshoots.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Thanks for the heads up. I just wish it had come under different circumstances. I'm glad you didn't give up. Stay strong, brother.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Sorry For the partial loss of your sight..I hear ya!

I have been TOTALLY Blind in my Right Eye for over the last 5 years! and the Left is impaired..

It requires special attention to what your doing (and even then, Sometimes, you still get it wrong) you MUST read twice as hard, use reference points when doing close in work, (such as on board electronics)....and you have to focus yourself to look TWICE and act once..

I was told It would impair driving, (no depth perception) but found using reference points (such as fender areas I CAN see..Vs Experience of how far away things really are..you have to get a "Feel" for it..) Have had no problems..I did find it is easier to BACK a Vette in a parking space Vs Trying to pull one forward into one..(23 feet of nose Vs 3 Feet of tail..)

Like anything else, you just need time to adapt..and don't take a job as a meat cutter before you do...

I can still Build and troubleshoot Strip-line Components on a Microwave STL exciter ( Surface mount components that need a mag glass to see NORMALLY..) It DOES take more time..but it didn't get me down..It all depends on your point of view..and the WILL to persevere(<-- SP?)..

BTW, IF you have ANY sight in your impaired EYE use an eyepatch..It makes it easier to focus your good EYE..without distraction...another trick learned.

Doc
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Being blessed with vision that allowed me to see sharp detail at long distances 'till 40, and dealing with the over 40 'can't see crap till it reaches the vanishing point syndrome'. It is impossible for me to even imagine the difficulties that Mr. Wood is having to deal with now, and what Doc has been dealing with for some time now (Doc-this is how I interpreted your post).
My last visit to the eye guy that my vision past 5ft was now 20-20.
All I could say was---this kinda sucks.
My personal opinion of the 20-20 vision is that those of you that have this perfect vision, have no idea what kind of things you have missed.

So much to see and hear----such a shame that so many don't get to.

Bryan
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 PM
MOPAR Guy

Last journal entry: Restoration of my Chrysler
Last photo:

I was brought up to always wear eye and ear protection while working in the shop. I am often tempted to dismiss this precaution, only to be reminded of the dangers by a piece of red-hot metal hitting my saftey glasses.

Thanks for the heads up, I am also sorry it had to come like this. Stick with it!

"Never Give In." Winston Churchill
Old 03-17-2007, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

re: Your eyes

Well im just glad i had my bodywork done before i lost my eye, as it would be real hard to do with one eye. I do have some problems driving on the highway, as i have a hard time staying off the center line, so i dont drive out of town anymore. My wife does all the highway driving now. Im going to have someone else paint my 48. I wanted to do everything myself, but just cant see good enough to paint now. But i thought how many out there are worse off than i am, and i guit feeling sorry for myself, and now cant wait to get back in the shop and work on the car. But i will take much better care of my other eye now. Learned my lesson the hard way. If you see someone working on there car, grinding and welding, make sure to tell them to use eye protection ok, you may just save there eyes. So now lets all get back to work on them cars, as iv said enough on this post. And thanks to all you guys for your support.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:03 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwood
But i thought how many out there are worse off than i am, and i guit feeling sorry for myself, and now cant wait to get back in the shop and work on the car.
You, sir, have just made an old adage jump to life: "I complained I had no shoes until I met a man with no feet." You may have saved some 'kid' his eyesight, too.

[Aside to moderators: Isn't there some where this thread could go so it doesn't get lost in the noise of Off-Topic? Working on vehicles carries lots of dangers and nearly every part of every such job poses a threat to the eyes.]

Does the mind retrain itself to compensate for the loss of depth perception from the loss of stereoscopic vision? Does turning the head back and forth to get 2 views help or not worth the effort?

The only thing I found is:

Quote:
Personally, I think the mind compensates very quickly for the loss of the other eye, to where after a while it is no longer noticeable (not that it was very noticeable in the first place).

-- http://www.losteye.com/depthper.htm
Old 03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

Yes, in fact, the poster's could all contribute their information to the "wiki" and write a "working Safe" page..

I think a Sub forum for "Shop Safety" would be a great asset to this forum..maybe JON might consider it..

I forgot to ask, Mr Wood, If his loss was due to accident or Illness..

Mine was due to both..a Blast RF from an Errant microwave antenna burned out (from the inside out..) an already failing eye..from a tumor..The RF just sped it up..

Again, had I been working Safe, the procedure is to disconnect the feed horn so the transmitter can not be activated..before making repairs.

If your walking by a TV news truck..and you feel like you have ants crawling on your arms and neck..or pepper on your lips..make tracks..your getting microwave exposure!

Doc
Old 03-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

I can't begin to tell you how many times glasses have saved my eyes! My most memorable was the mower shooting a rock out which hit the garage slab and ricocheted back and hit my right lens dead center cracking it. I was furious at first becasue they were a new prescription I had just picked up the day before and we were leaving on vacation the next morning. My neighbor put it in perspective though when he asked what would have happened if I hadn't been wearing them........
Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM
oldsmobile compatible

Last wiki edit: Selling your car Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

I'm glad you're adjusting to your vision Mr. Wood. It must be hard to loose sight in an eye.

I hope this story might help save someone their sight as well. A guy who used to work in the same shop I did was trying to pull a spring with needle nose pliers. The spring slipped out and he lost his eye.

Glasses or no glasses, never force a tool toward your face. Might seem obvious, but sometimes I think some of us can have moments of not-so-good judgement.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I have had alot of metal particles removed from my eyes over the years, rust drilled out, spot welding with out a hood,[ like 95% of us have done,] all from being careless. had catarac surgery last year on my right eye, and will need the left eye done this year , I have wore trifocal glasses for 20 years, but after the surgery,, I had a hell of a time getting new lenses that I could see with,, but all in all,, I guess I am fortunate that I am not entirely blind,, all i can really say with any real truth ,, is I am convinced that getting old is gonna be a real painful trip,,,,

I have a friend that was stretchng a bungie cord across a trailer and the oppisate end came loose and the hook hit him directly in his eye,, poped it out of the socket,, now he has a black patch,,
Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

MrWood sorry to hear the loss but sounds like you are a strong hearted person & dealing with it well..you didnt give up & seems to me you are the type of person that only make the best of the situation instead of just giving up..my hat is off to you

Bryan..i recently had had a lazer surgery done to my eyes for that"Aging eyes syndrome"..very simple techniche anymore & WORKS great..i can see as good i ever did again & threw away a drawer full of reading glasses..my aunt of 62 years old wore glasses all her life & had it done also & no longer owns any glasses..ask your doc about it & see if maybe your insurance will cover it..most insurance companies will pay for it because it is beneficial to them in the long run because they dont have to pay for a part of or all of your presciption glasses

Safety glasses...those things are worth your wieght in pure gold..im an ironworker of 29 years & always used them at work & in my shop..i have created a habit that when i first walk into my shop the first thing i do is grab a pair of safety glasses & put them on..i have them laying all over the shop because i get them free at all jobs i work,so when im working on something & for some reason dont have a pair of them on i dont have that excuse"their way over there & this only gonna take a minute to do without em anyhow"

I also have pairs of chums(the little things that you see people have their glasses hanging around their necks so they aways have their glasses on hand)..i keep mine around my neck while in the shop & at work..no excuse for not having them..eyes are not replaceable..dont be a "tough guy" & work without them..you'll regret it...
Old 03-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

re: Your eyes

Well what took my eye out was to much welding without a helmet. I would always just spot weld, then go back with the helmet and finish my welds. But i did it this way for to many years. The doctor said i just plain fried my eye, worse than a sunburn. This caused my eye to hemorrhage, and also got a blood clot behind the eye. They tried to use a laser to repair the tissue that was damaged but it was to bad and they could not help it. He also found bits of rust in my eye, and said this was caused from grinding without proper eye protection. This was all my fault, and i just wish i had takin the time to use my proper eye care equipment. My right eye is somewhat damaged, but with the right medication for the rest of my life they feel they can save it. I might loose some vision in it, but i will still be able to see with it. Doc im happy that you are getting along ok, and after 5 years you know what im going through. But for Gods sake you guys and gals dont even spot weld without a helmet, because even with your eyes closed the light can still get in there and do the damage. And if you have children in the shop get them out while you are welding, or get them a helmet. I cant even tell you how much i miss my eye, and would give anything to have it back. My life has changed.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:49 PM

Last photo:

Sorry to hear about you guys unfortunate situation. I've been lucky I guess that I haven't had to take a trip to get anything out of my eye. I've been pretty good at wearing glasses whenever grinding or working where an eye could easily be injured. I have put in spot welds on occasion without my helmet on. Good heads up Mr Wood, hope it saves someone else with your sharing. I do bodywork for a living, and on occasion have worked with only one contact in. Also have painted at an industrial painting place at times with only one cause one was bothering me, or ruined from a paint overspray. Also have driven with only one in.My eye site uncorrected is pretty poor, even the big e on the chart is blurry and hard to make out. In all reality, if painting you should be wearing googles or eye glasses too, cause isocyanates in 2k products love moisture, and eyes are one entry point. Painting cars don't seem to bother me if wearing contacts, but some of that industrial paint and booth was nasty, and I ruined a fair share of contacts, and a pair of expensive eye glasses. I can say its real difficult doing bodywork or painting with good vision only in one eye. I use to fall asleep with my contacts in when I had daily wear (have disposables now), but one time my eye was infected and had pink eye, and had to by the expensive antibiotic eye drops and suppose to stay out of contacts for a week. Ended up putting contacts back in three days later when the sub for bowling didn't show. Which reminds me, its time for an eye exam and order more contacts. I made the mistake of saying to my eye doctor that I'm blind, and was corrected, no your not, you just need vision correction.
One of my good friends in grade school had an older brother that wore thick glasses. They were messing around and build esentially a pipe bomb or something. Don't remember the exact story. Anyways, his glasses didn't save his site, but did save his life.

Last edited by kenseth17; 03-21-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:48 AM
HEAD GREASEWHORE

Last journal entry: More
Last photo:

I have ulcers in my left eye quite frequently for years from when i had chicken pox and they got on my cornea they still to this day act up if i get tired and my immune system goes low (having lyme disease doesnt help either) I undersand your frustration my left has partial loss all the time and total loss when the ulcer flairs up ....... I find it hard to function , drive, my peripheal vision is outta whack .. everytime i get a flair up my vision is lost just a little more.. I now wear glasses which is hell because my eye is so unpredictable sometimes they are too strong or not strong enough.. We live and learn as to how our senses guide us Be thankful you can still see and hear the beauty around us....... when my sight is acting up the best sound to me is the laughter of children and the " blub blub blub of a cam .............

Pup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.