Your not the hose? Dammit..... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2004, 10:09 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Your not the hose? Dammit.....

K,

Bare with me and keep in mind the '?' prolly pretains to fuel lines (maybe ventalation).

So I bought my '71 Chevelle 3 1/2 yrs ago for $800 and soon after blew a hole the size of my fist thru one of the cylinder walls, bent a rod and piston crumbled like a cookie (suprised, I didnt think so). Moving on, I bought a New 383 and 700r4 that I just put in. I'm starting to rebuild the puzzle.

The older motor had a mechanical fuel pump. The layout was typical on passenger side = tank ------------ filter---pump---CARB , with NO return coming of the pump (and so I assume no return fuel line). But right before I dropped the new motor I notice on hose that was ODDLY on the driver side kinda laying hidden tucked to the frame , end of it was cut but not clean or even. Wondering what this hose was, I put my fist between the hose and my mouth and blew to see if the was any resistance, not much but a little. Not knowing what it was I tried to inhail, thats when I could taste gas fumes. So clearly the hose goes back the gas tank...... If there is no return line, why the hose on the driver side going to the fuel tank? Is this some kind of vent I dont know about? I'm going to be using a electric pump w/ my new motor (no return). If this a return can I just plug the hose, should I do something else?

Any HELP would be great (sorry for the length, I figured the more you knew the better)

Stroke

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2004, 10:33 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

That was part of the evaporative emissions control (charcoal cannister). You can plug it if you like.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 PM

So I can just put like a spill over container on the end of it?

Stroke
Old 11-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Yes

If you do plug it, use a vented gas cap. Or suffer strange problems with pressure build up in the tank.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

As johnsongrass1 said, it is basically acting as a vent. No fuel should "spill" out of it. If you plug it and don't have a vented cap or another vent to the tank, you will create a vacuum when pumping fuel and that will create problems (stalling, car won't start, etc..). Air has to be able to replace the fuel as it leaves the tank. On the other hand when it gets hot and the fuel vapors expand they will have no place to go, this will cause problems as well.

Bottom line you need a vent in the system, either use that line as the vent or install another type of vent.

Royce
Old 11-17-2004, 12:10 PM

Thanks Royce,

Yor advice is well respected. I'm greatfull to have your knowledge available.

Stroke
Old 11-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

If you look at the old carb on the blowed up engine there should be a cap or the other end of that hose still attached to the base of the carb. The charcoal canister is not necessary to run your engine, it has nothing to do with the fuel delivery system. Is an earily attempt at emissions control...can be thrown away and the line plugged at the carb.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.