Hot Rod Forum banner

In your opinion what is a good starting hotrod?

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Stinky 
#1 ·
I wanna build a street rod, but i have 0 clue where to start....any ideas on what kinda cars i can look into?

#2 ·
Look into the cars you want and can afford. Don't buy one you find, is in your price range but really never wanted. I fell into that trap, I was looking for a project and found a '25 Overland (just like a T-bucket) in the bush. I brought it home started buying parts, and never finished it because I was never really a fan of buckets. Now I got a bunch of parts for a T-bucket style rod but don't have any urge to finish.

I think thats why most projects that don't finished don't get done. Build what you want, or it may not get finished, just take up space.

bonuts

#7 ·
I only have two that I have ever looked for parts for personally. The '32 Ford pick-up I have parts are fairly easy to find. So I would imagine the 1928-1932 Fords are all pretty easy for parts.

My other is a 1937 Chevrolet 2dr. Sedan and the parts seem to be a little harder to find stuff for, however the car was almost complete and I'm probably only trying to find the hard to find ones.

Maybe a better idea would be to (if you can) find a near complete car. And there are deals out there on these cars so look around. I got my '37 Sedan and a '37 Chev coupe for $500. Look around.

bonuts

#9 ·
I like to look at unfinished project cars, maybe the guy is tired of the car, broke, something has happened where he just doesn't want the car anymore. Most times the tough work is done, suspension, rust removal, etc, and he won't get what he has invested. Face it, most rods are projects of love, you're going to have more time and money than the car is worth, 9 times out of ten, when the owner falls out of love, swoop in there for a deal. Keep the same thing in mind when you buy, do I really want this car? Good luck. Dan

#10 ·
first. what body style you like? If it's just parts are easy to get. You can get just about anything for a Model A or 32. You can build a whole through a catalog.

If i was you do a search on the net and see what kind of cars that look good to you. Go to shows and look around. You got roadsters, coupes, sedan's 2 drs and 4 drs, you got deliveries, trucks ( big and small), There's a alot of guys aout there that wouldn't mind giving you a ride in there car to see if you like there cars.

Like what was said, just don't buy something just to buy.

#11 ·
Look into a 1932 ford roadster. With a roadster, you dont have to worry about power windows (or windows at all), you only need door handles on the inside, no windshield wipers, etc etc. Look into buying a fiberglass reproduction body, you wont have to deal with fixing rust and realigning an old rotting body. There are alot of companies that make 32 Ford Roadster reproduction bodiee.

#15 ·
Another thing is find a car that is within your means of repair.Meaning don't bit off more than ya can chew.For example don't buy something that needs a ground off resto if you don't have a garage to work in.Don't buy something that you know you can't fix or afford to fix.
My first rod was a 1951 chevy shortbox.I was gonna put a 350/auto 10 boltrear,disk brakes,fancy interior etc....With no garage I got the motor out,nose off and it sat for 8mo. till I sold it.
I personally would recomend something you could drive wile you restore it,or something that needs little to get on the road,and restore as you go.

#16 ·
Find something that a family member has that they just dont want! My first project was a 1972 Pontiac Catalina.. My mom had the car and as far as she was concerned the body was toast. I got the car for free... I bought what i could when i could.. and i drove that old beast for years!
I took the car to school and used it in my automotive class as my assignment! anything that I needed to do .. counted as a grade for me! Which was cool!

I think anything that you chose .. will be a rod! just make the car what you want it to be.. Personalize it Do something that you like .. or paint it some wild colour that you and only you can relate too ...

That cat was a boat.. but she was mine! and better yet . she was free!

Pup

#19 ·
yeah one that you can drive as you go

What I did, was have a buddy chauffer me around out in rural areas. Some of those people are sitting on gems and dont have a clue. Picked up my car for $1100 and drove it home. Hillbillies are great!!!:laugh: As far as not having a garage goes, iit can be a pain dodging the rain but thats what ive had to do and ive managed just fine. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.