Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Your preferred base coat gun?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't paint real often anymore, but still spray basecoat with a hvlp pressure cup accuspray model 10 I bought I'd say around 1995. Got turned onto it, cause the shop I was working in at the time, and was impressed with how much easier laying metallic with it then the conventional I had, or the mattson hvlp gun the prior shop I worked in had. Dont have a ton of experience with a lot of different brands of hvlp's but most of the early ones really sucked.

Never had any luck with the accuspray for clear, but works great for laying metallic and pearl even, can get a huge even pattern out of the thing. Don't have to do much mist coating. Kind of an airhog and really likes to have a good flowing regulator, but material useage and overspray are good.

I broke down and bought an iwata lph 400 a few years back. Haven't used it much, but liked what I seen. Plan on it being dedicated clear gun, but bought the base cap just in case. I haven't seen a need to try it for base, as I am pretty happy with how my old accuspray handles that.