Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Your preferred base coat gun?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just hate these "what gun should I buy" questions as there is no real right answer for everyone but let me point out two things and it may help you decide.

First in a days time, I may talk to 2 -20 professional painters a day, through out Canada and the US and if I go back even 3 or 5 years and you held a 45 to my head and said what gun do professional painters use, I would say with out a second thought, 99+% use either Iwata or Sata or even both for say 50-60%.

Second, I cannot tell you how many times a newer painter, be it a guy that has done 4 or 5 jobs or one that has been full time for a year or so, has told me he bought an Iwata or a Sata and he could not believe how much better the paint jobs were.

Anything under $400 is not a gun to give you a top notch finish, maybe OK for car lot work or everyday "lower grade" insurance work.

A funny note, I have a friend that owns a high end shop in Atlanta, he has six painters right now and all they do is the higher end insurance work, and for years on his employment app, it asks the painter to list every paint gun he has, no SATA or IWATA, no interview. His attitude, "if you don't own, you are not a painter, just a sprayer"