Your preferred base coat gun? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would have to agree with that!

Good equipment makes it easier... but if you don't think the painter makes his own success... give that gun to a monkey, and save the wages. :-)

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM

Last photo:

I know I could continue to spray my basecoats with my finishline and progress just as nicely, and become a better "sprayer" lol, but I like the idea of saving material with a higher end gun. That's all I was trying to get at with this thread.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

.....but asking the same question 3 or more times wont get any better answers. You got several responses from folks besides me, an amateur, who are not only good, but gifted which I'm not. If you want better responses, well you aren't asking the right questions then, are you ?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

My bad! I didnt realize that after YOU responded to a thread that the discussion was all said and done! I'll know next time!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Last photo:

Anyways, thanks to all that responded. I guess this discussion is closed now. I think I know what gun I am going to pick up. If anyone else has any personal experiences with a gun they would like to share feel free, but I wont be asking for anymore opinions on the subject, it appears those that matter have responded on the subject.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuiced86
But saying someone isnt a "painter" because they don't own a certain type of gun is kind of a bull**** statement IMO.

Well, maybe to you it is bull-st but its his business and two years ago when we were on a trip, he told me his lowest paid painter was ave $1400-1700 a week, I guess he can make his own rules and hire the best of the best.

No real problem with this, as the painter with his Devilbus can always get a job down the street for $350-400 a week.

I guess it would be like Dale Earnhart getting his engines at auto-zone to save money, it would be penny wise and dollar stupid, to say the least.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 AM

Last photo:

Well as usual with anything else on an Internet forum, this thread has become dumb and basically drifted off of the original topic. I'm done. Again I appreciate most of the responses! I think I have a good indication of what gun I may be happy with if I choose to purchase it.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Picked up an Iwata LPH400 LVX for a rediculious price. I'm anxious to use it!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM

Last photo:

Hahaha...

Quote:
Picked up an Iwata LPH400 LVX for a rediculious price. I'm anxious to use it!
I just saw thsi post and it makes me feel much much better that I just picked up a Finishline III and plan on painting the base and clear with it. I really like the finsih on the car you shot with it.

Heres my opinion or I guess question. If I was to shoot 2-3 coats of good quality clear and plan on Buffing and polishing the Sh%^$%^$ out of it. Would the gun to shoot clear really,, really make that huge of a difference? Pardon if this is just a ridiculouis question but Im a beginner.

I know a shop has to flip a profit and maybe a quality gun will save many hours of work etc.. but..... I still havent heard a good rational answer for a DYI at home painter should dish out $300-400 more for a better gun. Maybe Im missing something?? Or if I paint 5-10 cars with a Finishline or Finex3000 wont that just make me a better painter when I use an Iwata???
Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a FL3 gun - if you have all four tips. The Iwata's and SATAs just make it a lot easier - if you can afford that level of gun. The biggest advantage with me using an Iwata is the fact there is virtually no over spray plus the fact you can get by with a smaller compressor due to much lower air pressure and volume requirements.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

My side work load is increasing by the day. I bought the LVX brand new in the box for $200. I wanted a more consistent gun for metallics because I prefer to panel paint cars when doing completes.

Plus at $200. Come on. I couldn't pass it up.

I lay clear with a PLUS gun and I can tell you that clearing with that gun compared to the flg3 is night and day! Speed and overall finish!

I'll let you know how I like the lvx 1.3 next weekend when I use it! Can't wait!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:28 PM

Paintguns

I've lost the original chat on this subject while registering and wanted to add,
Regarding paint guns I use a Sata for base (we use Waterborne Sikkens) and it works great for me, I use an Iwata for clear, What I find with the Iwata compared to other guns is how well it atomizes todays thicker clears,night and day over any other gun I've used! but I find you have to really keep it clean and I always store my cap in thinners,(small passages) you just cant go wrong, beginner or professional (just my opinion)
Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

Thanks .. know the responses I see make a lot more sense. To hear that it Atomizes better or far less overspray makes more sense than 'All professional shops use Iwata/Sata etc' or 'Will not hire a painter if they never used an Iwata/Sata etc..' Just doesnt clearly explain the difference etc.. Thanks a lot for the best explanation ive seen on the differences betwen a 'Lower quality gun' vs Higher quality
Old 06-11-2011, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

Ok, so I shot a car recently with my new LPH400lvx (orange cap). It didnt lay the mettalics as nice as my finishline IMO. I am going to shoot a golf cart here in the next few week the same color and use my finishline gun for my base and I'll compare the 2.

This may have been user error.
My gun settings were, fan wide open, fluid tip 2.5 turns out. 26psi.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Ok, so I shot a car recently with my new LPH400lvx (orange cap). It didnt lay the mettalics as nice as my finishline IMO. I am going to shoot a golf cart here in the next few week the same color and use my finishline gun for my base and I'll compare the 2.

This may have been user error.
My gun settings were, fan wide open, fluid tip 2.5 turns out. 26psi.

If you shot at 26, that's probably 10 psig too much

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.