Your preferred base coat gun? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I guess it would be like Dale Earnhart getting his engines at auto-zone to save money, it would be penny wise and dollar stupid, to say the least.
Hummm, this might explain why Jr. hasnt been doing too well lately!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Ya Gotta Drive Them!

Last journal entry: Moved...
Last photo:

Being that I am a low buck hobby guy, this would be where I normally would jump in and give props to my $39 HF Purple gun, BUT...

I finally broke down and bought an LPH400 and i LOVE IT! I paid $462 for it with free shipping. Best tool investment I have made in years. If I had to put a number on it I would say that I am using around 15-20% less paint than I did with my HF.

I put a 1.9 tip in one of my HF guns that I use for high build primer and left the 1.4 tip in the other for epoxy. When they die, I will probably buy an Iwata primer gun.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

After reading some of these forums I am actually thinking about spending the extra money and buying the iwata 400. I have a few questions. To start with I will probably buythe gun with 1 cap. What would be the best all around setup for that gun? second, is it compatible with waterborne paints? third, can you use the same gun for spraying base and clear just by using a diffferent cap? I will be shooting mostly acrylic enamel and urethane. Eventually I may dabble in some metalics.........Steve
Old 08-30-2011, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

I would think twice about the iwata since I have one and use one I say It's a tricky gun to use. With that said I suggest u practice on a few fenders till u get used to the spraying technique. If u have the air get SATA.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:41 AM

Last photo:

Problems with Iwata?

Here is the only problem that I have heard about it
http://www.refinishnetwork.com/index...Setup?Itemid=0
Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel85lx
I would think twice about the iwata since I have one and use one I say It's a tricky gun to use. With that said I suggest u practice on a few fenders till u get used to the spraying technique. If u have the air get SATA.
HUH!! I'm just off of being a rank amateur and have absolutely NO problem spraying both base and clear with an IWATA LPH400-LV w/1.4 and using the same cap for both.

Of course you should practice. But tricky? Far from it IMO and much easier to do it right then other guns that I've used.

I can't tell you anything about waterborne paints though as so far not required here. Yet
Old 08-31-2011, 05:23 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

this is why we say buy a good gun to start with. any time spent with a cheap gun is wasted. but no matter what gun you buy you have to learn to use it. i run the iwata at 25 lbs , fan 2 turns down, fluid 3.5-4 turns out for clear. from there i adjust to the weather station in the booth.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
HUH!! I'm just off of being a rank amateur and have absolutely NO problem spraying both base and clear with an IWATA LPH400-LV w/1.4 and using the same cap for both.

Of course you should practice. But tricky? Far from it IMO and much easier to do it right then other guns that I've used.

I can't tell you anything about waterborne paints though as so far not required here. Yet
I agree. I am no pro and i switched over from a sharpe finex 3000 to a iwata supernova. It was so easy to use. It was smooth light and i love the low pressure it can shoot at. i can shoot at 16psi if i want too. As far as the gun beign tricky ive painted about 5 cars; 4 spraying with the iwata and i have only had one run and i lay it down pretty slow
Old 09-01-2011, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

If you read on there site they have the highest complain and people having spraying issue. And I was one of them if you are used to spraying at 30 pSI and fast moments then you will have problem spraying with the iwata lph400. It was not till I did major reading and trial and errors that I learned about how they take low psi and a slower and close to panel spraying. And there caps make a difference on there outcome there purple is a metallic and pearl use there silver is best for single stage and clear. Now my SATA 2000 is more easy to set up and used in MY opinion just set up at 30 psi and shoot and you get great results. Now the reason I use my iwata is that i have a small compressor and my SATA is a air hog. check this site out and look at there spraying problem section.
http://www.asetusa.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=3
Old 09-01-2011, 05:21 AM

Last photo:

Yea, thats great. I hate to call a tech line and get person on the other end that has to look up an answer to my question or ask the tech guy (why doesn't the tech guy answer the tech phone line) So you can go to their forum and talk to an expert, and yes the Iwata does have a learning curve, but so did hvlp.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:29 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

there's a reason it says " for professional use only "
the iwata is new technology . of course you have to relearn to shoot. if you pay attention to hub's forum the ones having trouble can not even set up a gun.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

I certainly have not ruled out the sata. I love the idea of low overspray with the iwata. I have used a devilbiss jga siphon gun forever and will be learning hvlp and how to use the particular gun I decide. I really appreciate everyones input. This will in all likelihood be the last gun I buy so i want to get a good one. I started out wanting the devilbiss 620g but as usual I researched myself into spending more money......Steve
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i used jga's for 30 years. loved them but they sucked for urethane's. i went through about 6 hvlp's before buying the iwata. lot of wasted money. the sata was my second choice. the cost of maintenance or nozzle size change made the decision for me. i had to forget everything i learned with the first ones and relearn on the iwata. the iwata shoots slow and deliberate which i like . the sata is a faster gun and better suited for production work.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Thanx shine. Is there a particular setup you recomend or like? I am thinking that the lv aircap and 1.3 or 1.4 fluid nozzle sounds best. I will be starting mostly with single stage acrylic enamel and acrylic urethanes. One good thing for me is i dont have much to unlearn (lol)
Old 09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
SPI Thug

Last photo:

i have 1.3 1nd 1.4 nozzles and all 3 caps. the 1.3 will shoot just about everything. the purple cap does good on metallic . silver works fine on solids and clear. the orange cap is for tricoats and pearls. have not used it yet.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.