Your preferred base coat gun? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Your preferred base coat gun?

Don't laugh but I have had good results with my devilbliss finishline gun for basecoats. What do you prefer?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I have a Finishline lll, but it takes a rumble seat to my Iwata LPH400
Old 02-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

I'm gonna be spraying a friends car shortly and we are going with a fairly expensive basf chip foose base coat. I just want it to lay perfect. I may drop the the coin on a good gun for it.

Here is my finishline3 :

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM

There is nothing wrong with a FLlll gun. My biggest complaint was the overspray which wont get with the Iwata. Yes, there is some, but the gun pressure of 14-16psig at the inlet, lessens it by a lot - which is a savings in materials.

This is with the IWATA LPH400 w/1.4 tip and representative of the rest of the car, My avatar above.

Cheap at approx $500+/-

Dave W
Old 02-04-2011, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

any more imput on this? Do the higher dollar guns lay the metallics more even or is that like anything else, all in the talent holding the gun?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 PM

Last photo:

I don't paint real often anymore, but still spray basecoat with a hvlp pressure cup accuspray model 10 I bought I'd say around 1995. Got turned onto it, cause the shop I was working in at the time, and was impressed with how much easier laying metallic with it then the conventional I had, or the mattson hvlp gun the prior shop I worked in had. Dont have a ton of experience with a lot of different brands of hvlp's but most of the early ones really sucked.

Never had any luck with the accuspray for clear, but works great for laying metallic and pearl even, can get a huge even pattern out of the thing. Don't have to do much mist coating. Kind of an airhog and really likes to have a good flowing regulator, but material useage and overspray are good.

I broke down and bought an iwata lph 400 a few years back. Haven't used it much, but liked what I seen. Plan on it being dedicated clear gun, but bought the base cap just in case. I haven't seen a need to try it for base, as I am pretty happy with how my old accuspray handles that.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Cox Custom Cars

Last photo:

We use the Finishline III gun for both base and clear at my shop. I have seen the Iwata and Sata guns and have never been impressed with them. You have to move too slow with them.
This is a 2010 Challenger where we used the Finishline for both the base and clear. The graphics are air brushed with clear coat applied with the Finishline III over them.

Frank Cox
Cox Custom Cars
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Very nice. I really like my finishline III. I just thought I might have been missing out on something with a higher dollar gun. I'd love to see more of your results with the finishline if you have pics!
Old 02-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Last photo:

Anymore opinions on this subject?
Old 02-12-2011, 11:09 PM

Last journal entry: Hood
Last photo:

I have a Lph 400 and love it. Never tried the FinishLine III so I can't compare the two of them. But as for the iwata I really like how lightweight it is. It lays clear nicely and sprays base very well but you can also get runs and have mottled base with the same gun and any gun no matter how much it costs. Alot of it is in how you spray, if your used to spraying with the finishline and are getting good results then stick with it. The iwata is a little slower I admit but the overspray is less and you do use less material. Its going to be more of a personal preference. Me well I love my gun and am glad I bought it.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Last photo:

I just hate these "what gun should I buy" questions as there is no real right answer for everyone but let me point out two things and it may help you decide.

First in a days time, I may talk to 2 -20 professional painters a day, through out Canada and the US and if I go back even 3 or 5 years and you held a 45 to my head and said what gun do professional painters use, I would say with out a second thought, 99+% use either Iwata or Sata or even both for say 50-60%.

Second, I cannot tell you how many times a newer painter, be it a guy that has done 4 or 5 jobs or one that has been full time for a year or so, has told me he bought an Iwata or a Sata and he could not believe how much better the paint jobs were.

Anything under $400 is not a gun to give you a top notch finish, maybe OK for car lot work or everyday "lower grade" insurance work.

A funny note, I have a friend that owns a high end shop in Atlanta, he has six painters right now and all they do is the higher end insurance work, and for years on his employment app, it asks the painter to list every paint gun he has, no SATA or IWATA, no interview. His attitude, "if you don't own, you are not a painter, just a sprayer"
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 AM

Barry - he has asked the same question at least three times and......it still comes up IWATA.

Dave W
Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

I have the FLlll and the Iwata Lph400, no friggin comparison at all, the Iwata is 3 steps above as far as i'm concerned!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Barry - he has asked the same question at least three times and......it still comes up IWATA.

Dave W

I asked what gun people prefer. I just like conversation. pardon me.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK
I just hate these "what gun should I buy" questions as there is no real right answer for everyone but let me point out two things and it may help you decide.

First in a days time, I may talk to 2 -20 professional painters a day, through out Canada and the US and if I go back even 3 or 5 years and you held a 45 to my head and said what gun do professional painters use, I would say with out a second thought, 99+% use either Iwata or Sata or even both for say 50-60%.

Second, I cannot tell you how many times a newer painter, be it a guy that has done 4 or 5 jobs or one that has been full time for a year or so, has told me he bought an Iwata or a Sata and he could not believe how much better the paint jobs were.

Anything under $400 is not a gun to give you a top notch finish, maybe OK for car lot work or everyday "lower grade" insurance work.

A funny note, I have a friend that owns a high end shop in Atlanta, he has six painters right now and all they do is the higher end insurance work, and for years on his employment app, it asks the painter to list every paint gun he has, no SATA or IWATA, no interview. His attitude, "if you don't own, you are not a painter, just a sprayer"

No disrespect, but I WASN'T asking what gun to buy. I am planning on making a new purchase soon, and was looking for feedback on what people have had success with and just overall prefer and why. I am a hobbiest, so I dont lay paint every single day. But saying someone isnt a "painter" because they don't own a certain type of gun is kind of a bull**** statement IMO.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.