Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   You're a Tool Box! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/youre-tool-box-44710.html)

Beenaway2long 08-02-2004 08:45 AM

You're a Tool Box!

For the younger people on this forum, who struggle with having to go to school, I have a little message for ya! My Toolbox talk ! It's really not that bad. Read it with an open mind, and see what you think.

You are a toolbox !
Life has taught me one simple thing. Your a toolbox. Odd analogy, huh? But as a kid, going through school, you are but a toolbox. You start Kindergarten with a little Craftsman box with the handle on top. Every single class you take is a free tool that the taxpayers in your area, are GIVING you. English is a screwdriver, Math is an open end wrench, and so forth. These are all freebies ! If you chose to embrace the gift, and learn how to use it, it will be in your box forever. If you choose to ignore, or reject it, you will have to deal with the consequence. When you enter college (hopefully), those free tools will help you. Those "free" tools you rejected, you will now HAVE TO PAY FOR. When you graduate college, you have a huge roller cabinet of tools. Employers look for someone that has the tools and knows how to use them. (Unless they want you for grunt work,and then your expendable) The better the school, the better the tool. So the moral of this is, get all you can while its free. It just costs a little effort. Pay attention in school and the things "YOU'LL NEVER USE THAT IN REAL LIFE" will come to be quite useful. I wished I paid more attention back then !

Examples of "Stuff I'd NEVER USE"

Math:
Figuring radius's for rollbar fabrication. Tubing strength formulas to see what tubing will keep me alive without weighing 400 tons. Triangulating for strength, needing the angle to fishmouth the tubing. Calculating vehicle speed based on tire diameter,gearing,rpm, and drive ratio of transmission...... Besides, who's gonna count your money?

English:
Funny thing about sponsors. They want you to be able to speak in the language that your nation speaks. The way you write a resume' speaks volumes about you. I review them often.

Social Studies:
This is a reach, but its history. The facts and figures that they dump on you may seem irrelevant. At some point in time, to argue your point effectively, you will need this mundane information to substantiate your claim. It also helps you form opinions and guides you on future journeys. "You won't make the same mistake twice". Plus it helps to know geography when you go on vacation!

Science:
Dude, you can't build a decent hot-rod without it. One word. Physics. Suspensions? Even earth science is helpful. Chemstry is what helps Top Fuelers get down the track faster. Flamespread of Nitromethane vs. pressure it can withstand without detonation.... NOS....need I go further?

There's a whole lot more examples, but I hope you see my point!

Signed,
Empty Tool Box

71 c-10 08-02-2004 08:52 AM

great analogy Beenaway2long

:thumbup:

oldschoolrods 08-02-2004 09:07 AM

well said

bullheimer 08-02-2004 11:12 AM

YOU'RE a tool box!

fat50 08-02-2004 11:13 AM

Re: You're a Tool Box!

Quote:

Originally posted by Beenaway2long

Signed,
Empty Tool Box

Just from that post alone, your toolbox sounds far from empty..

Hot Rod Bod 08-02-2004 11:24 AM

Words of wisdom spoken from a man with A full SnapOn Range....

Now if you can only get one of them to listen to you then your goal has been achieved....:thumbup:

71 c-10 08-02-2004 11:45 AM

im listening :D i know it seems that my/your parents are just being mean, and to all you other kids my age also, but they have been there done that, ya they may not know exactly how things go for our generation but the basic rule is still the same, the more education you get the better off you will be, it took me a while to realize that but when i did was it sure was a wake up call. Also having the vast age range on this board helps with all aspects, you have people you respect telling you pretty much the same thing your parents are telling you but ypu listen better because you respect them. I duno if any of that made any sense but i know what im tryn to say i duno if it came out comprehensible to the others... :)

Beenaway2long 08-02-2004 11:59 AM

Awwwww gorshhhhhhh (Like Pluto says) Yer gonna make me blush,fellas!

I just want these guys to benefit from our experience. These up and coming hot rodders are a sharp bunch. Some may read and ignore, but at least their forewarned! Then ONE day, they'll say "that ole geriatric pain in the butt was right!" as their pushing me in my Flamed out wheelchair in the nursing home !

The ones that listened will be thanking me from Hawaii or Cancun (I hope) ! :thumbup:

71 c-10 08-02-2004 12:11 PM

I'll toast to that *clink* mugs of root beer of course :mwink:

goose 08-02-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 71 c-10
im listening :D i know it seems that my/your parents are just being mean, and to all you other kids my age also, but they have been there done that, ya they may not know exactly how things go for our generation but the basic rule is still the same, the more education you get the better off you will be, it took me a while to realize that but when i did was it sure was a wake up call. Also having the vast age range on this board helps with all aspects, you have people you respect telling you pretty much the same thing your parents are telling you but ypu listen better because you respect them. I duno if any of that made any sense but i know what im tryn to say i duno if it came out comprehensible to the others... :)
sure you're only 17? makes perfect sence to me:thumbup:

goody2shoes 08-02-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bullheimer
YOU'RE a tool box!
No I think he is just a tool, much like you. :P Just kidding

75chevyman 08-02-2004 06:01 PM

You know even though I am 31 that was still inspiring as hell to me. I never dropped out of school when I was younger, but I thought about it alot. I am glad I didn't because I was the first guy on my dad's side of the family to graduate from high school and then to go on to college. It was a proud day fro my family to see that happen and made me proud as well. I am even in the middle of going back to school because I am changing careers.

I will definitely show that to my son. He is only 11 now, but something like that does not hurt to be shown to them no matter what age they are if they are old enough to understand it that is.

flyfisher 08-02-2004 06:14 PM

That is brilliant. :) If the gearheads don't get it who will?

That would make me a rusting toolbox.

71 c-10 08-02-2004 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by goose
sure you're only 17? makes perfect sence to me:thumbup:
thanks, :D yup im only 17.. says right here on my drivers license

coldknock 08-02-2004 08:50 PM

That was an awesome post man. I seem to be missing a few items from my toolbox.

Anybody seen my 1/2 to 3/8 adapter and 1/4" ratchet?

Larry