Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Well now I have a Motive Performance 3.70 gear in there. I stuck it together last night before I went in the house. I guessed and put in a .021 shim, set lash to .008 and this is the pattern I got. Looks pretty good to me the coast is kind of high on the tooth but drive looks good. This is the first gear that I have put in this thing that both coast and drive are fairly close to center heal, toe, face and flank. Of course I am going to play with it some more, but what do you think? The gear doesnt feel as smooth turning the ring gear by hand as the other gears but the pattern looks better.
Are you pre-loading the pinion as you turn the ring gear? I usually use an old fan belt and it usually takes two people. One to hold the fan belt over the pinion flange and pull down and another to rotate the ring gear. I use a wrench on a ring gear bolt to rotate the ring gear back and forth as the pressure on the pinion flange is applied. This usually gives better pattern definition.

Vince