Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Are you pre-loading the pinion as you turn the ring gear? I usually use an old fan belt and it usually takes two people. One to hold the fan belt over the pinion flange and pull down and another to rotate the ring gear. I use a wrench on a ring gear bolt to rotate the ring gear back and forth as the pressure on the pinion flange is applied. This usually gives better pattern definition.

Vince

I load it by hand, I cant get a wrench on the ring gear bolts becasue the posi unit is in the way as well as the extra large aluminum caps. I can get a socket on but can only turn it very little before it hits the caps. I am getting ready to take a look at your links.

I did some research over the weekend and I am begignning to think maybe my carrier preload and pinion preload may not be tight enough. Even though these bearings may only have 100-200 miles on them should I still set them as tight as new bearings? I have an old axel with the splines cut off and a nut welded to the spline end of the axel about a 5 inch long tool. I stick it in the carrier and use an inch pound tourqe wrench to measure carrier preload. I have about 15 inch pounds on it. Also the cap bolts, in the Yukon manual it say 60 ft/lbs, the Motive manual says 80-85 ft/lbs. Which is it? They are 1/2 bolts with 3/4 heads.