Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
You might double check and make sure the ring gear or carrier is NOT hitting anywhere on the inside of the case. Look on the side of the pocket brg and make sure the inside of the ring gear is not scraping it.

I've also had to clearance the Aluminum case because the Hat side of the carrier was scraping.

Just something to double check.
OK, I had to grind the case around the hat area you are talking about already. The pocket bearing boss area is so big on the case that it was hitting the posi. I have plenty of clearence now. I got it together tonight, seemed like it took a while to get the shim pack right for the pinoin bearings. Pinoin bearing preload is just a shade under 15 inch pounds. When I first put it together it was 25 inch pounds but just felt way to tight. The Ford manual says 12.5 to 31.5 inch pounds. What do you think, these are brand new bearings. I ran a quick pattern with .021 pinion shim (just guessed) and lash at .006 and it looks real close to what I had last time. If this doesnt fix it then the case is bad.

What do you guys think about the way that race looked, shouldnt the wear pattern be uniform all the way around?