Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
If I was going to use an aluminum support on the street, I would use less preload because of the thermal expansion difference, on new bearings around 10-15inlbs.

I have seen the unusual contact pattern on almost new races located over oil channel recesses in the race bore in certain applications, like the 8.25 and 9.25 Chrysler. I dont think it causes a problem. To me it does indicate that the race is not loaded uniformly due to the housing strength, which does not seem to be true in your application. Maybe the bore is out of round? but that seems unlikely.

Maybe you need to run your chunk in someone else's car? Or, borrow a chunk know to be quiet. Maybe the al case and your combination of suspension links is just prone to noise transfer.

I can understand that but for the teeth on the ring gear to galled up like they are, and where they are, indicates that something is moving or flexing under a load. Or that something is machined wrong, just enough that it doesn’t show up when I check my pattern on the bench. But as soon as it is loaded the teeth galled up. The noise I am hearing is just not right, it changes with throttle and gets louder. It is not something that you can just live with. If I were to just drive the car this way it would obviously eat up the ring gear.

I will figure it out, but I have a feeling it will be the hard way, and end up costing me more money.