Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
When I measured I ran the tape in till it bottomed out on the carrier pin and measured to the outside of the housing end. My bearings are flush with the outside of the housing when they are all the way in. The GM backing plates are now my bearing retainers. It could very well be that one of my axels is still to long.
For GOOD spline engagement you want the spline to fully go thru the side gear but not so far that the axle tip hits the pin. At this this point anything from the retainer out is not of concern. Your housing end will have a lip that the axle brg seats against.. Measure from the inside of the side gear to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then measure your axle from the inside of the axle brg to the end.

If you wanted to use a measurement from the pin... Thats fine too. Just measure from the pin to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then when measuring your axle from tip to inside of axle brg and that will tell you if its hitting the pin.

To be honest,I'm not sure that this is your problem. It just looked like you had checked just about everything else.

I build quite a few Aluminum housings and I dont have problems with them. So I really doubt the aluminum housing is causing your problem.