Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
For GOOD spline engagement you want the spline to fully go thru the side gear but not so far that the axle tip hits the pin. At this this point anything from the retainer out is not of concern. Your housing end will have a lip that the axle brg seats against.. Measure from the inside of the side gear to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then measure your axle from the inside of the axle brg to the end.

If you wanted to use a measurement from the pin... Thats fine too. Just measure from the pin to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then when measuring your axle from tip to inside of axle brg and that will tell you if its hitting the pin.

To be honest,I'm not sure that this is your problem. It just looked like you had checked just about everything else.

I build quite a few Aluminum housings and I dont have problems with them. So I really doubt the aluminum housing is causing your problem.

I am going to throw it in a center section tonight and re measure just to be sure. I have a small enought tape measure now that I can clip it on the side of the gears in the posi. I have narrowed it down to the, axels, housing, and posi. Those are the only things that have stayed the same threw all this. I need to post some pictures of the bearing races that came out of the carrier this time. I had to put new bearings on the posi to run it in the stock Ford case, I think they measure 2.891. The ones for the aluminum case are 3.062. Anyway the wear pattern on the new races is all over the place. The only have about 50 miles on them.