Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head
Yea, I've just been using Yukon gears for the last few years. I do some Richmond or US Gear when there isn't a Yukon available, or if a customer brings his own gears. I've got to do a US Gear 3.31 for a 12 bolt soon, which is going to be interesting because they only made 200 of these. I've also got to do a Richmond 4.30 12 bolt gear soon, which is another low production gear. The 3.70 might be a better choice for you. I think you could probably get rid of the 3.75 if you wanted to. There are people who don't care about a little gear noise and would like a good deal on a set of barely used gears.

Ok, Looks like I will be giving another 3.70 a try. So should I stay with the Yukon gear?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 12:54 PM

Last photo:

I just got off the phone with a rep at Jawsgear.

http://www.jawsgear.com/

He told me that if my car was in his shop right now that he would put a Motive Performance gear in it. Orange box. He said that is the gear that they are having the best luck with right now. I asked about Yukon and he said those gears are made in India. So, I got off the phone with him and called Moser. I talked to a technician there that sets up a lot of their rear ends. I asked him the same questions and got the same answers. For an aftermarket gear buy the Motive performance gear. I asked him about U.S. Gear and this is what he said, "You did not hear this from me but they are out of business and if you buy a U.S. Gear ring and pinion right now they are made in China". He also went on to tell me that almost all the gear manufactures right now are sending out crap because they are cutting costs which means taking out some of the machining processes on the gears. He said that itís a shame because this is what they have to deal with every day and that it is due to the bad economy. The American gear manufactures canít afford to make the gears the way they used to just 5 or so years ago. If they did we would be pay $500 - $600 for a ring and pinion.

He also told me that if I could find an original Ford ring and Pinion, 3.70, that i would be good to go. I know where there are around 10 trucks that all have 9" rear ends in them. My local Pull-a-Part salvage yard. May head over there after work.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Did a couple of Mopar 8 3/4 rears about a year and a half back and both were Yukon and were made in Korea. Customer supplied the parts...bearings made in China. The gears looked fine but man, what cheezy looking bearings. Told him not to associate my name with them because all he was planning on doing was selling them. Whatever American companies are doing here...it's still got to be better than than what the Shineese are doing....
Old 02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
More for Less Racer

Last I knew Motive was made in Italy, and Yukon in Korea. Motive has been nice in my experience, and I've had no problem with Yukon but have not done Yukon in a 9" Ford, just Dana 60, 8.5" 10-bolt GM, and 8.8" Ford.

Last Strange/U.S. Gear I did was about 4 years ago,12-bolt Chevy car, came out good. Would be a shame if they are chinese now.

Worst gears ever in my experience were Zoom.

I had a set of Precision Gear for an 8.8" Ford give me a real challenge to get set-up a couple years ago, 4.10 ratio. Did not even come close to correct at the marked pinion depth.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Last photo:

I found 2 ford center sections at the junk yard today after work that had 3.70 gears in them. The 6 cyl trucks with manuals had 3.70's in them. I can get the whole center sections for $30 a piece. What do you guys think? I pulled the pinions out to count the teeth and they looked really good. Arenít the OEM gears indexed or lined up a certain way from the factory? I came home and looked at the 3.00 gear that came out of my 9 and there are marks on the pinion and the ring gear like they lined them up from the factory.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:30 PM
More for Less Racer

They are only marked for tooth-to-tooth position if they are a non-hunting gear set, i.e. the same pinion teeth always contact the same corresponding ring teeth. An example would be a 36-9 tooth count for a 4.00 ratio gear set or 39-13 for a 3.00 ratio set(not actual #'s, just examples)
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

I have done hundreds of Yukon gear installs, and the appearance of the gears changes regularly. I think Yukon is just a reboxer, not a manufacturer, and contracts with vendors in multiple countries.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM

Last photo:

I got my center section this morning. Has Ford 3.70 gears in it. Came out of a 1969 F100, 300 6 cyl, 3 on the tree. I dont think its ever been messed with, the ribbing on these things make a good place for a mud dobbers nest. The bearings feel really good in it too, the other one I got, the bearings were shot.

I will clean this one up good enough to check the pattern and the back lash then pull the gears out of it. Then stick them in my housing and set them up right back like they were.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Had a few gear sets give me trouble setting them up with one taking 8 hours. Also have had several that showed a lousy pattern but was on the money with my old Pro Parts pinion setting tool. The first time that happened, I plugged the 3rd member into my car for a test run and it was still quiet after 200 miles. Did that with 3 different 3rd members. After that, I quit checking the pattern. That was over 20 years ago and so far, so good.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
Had a few gear sets give me trouble setting them up with one taking 8 hours. Also have had several that showed a lousy pattern but was on the money with my old Pro Parts pinion setting tool. The first time that happened, I plugged the 3rd member into my car for a test run and it was still quiet after 200 miles. Did that with 3 different 3rd members. After that, I quit checking the pattern. That was over 20 years ago and so far, so good.

Wow, I hear people say to not use the depth tool becasue of machining differences from case to case, and that the pattern is the only way to really do it. Who knows....
Old 02-24-2011, 04:19 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

I'm completely opposite of that. I got rid of my pinion depth tool because it's my opinion that the pattern is the only thing that matters. I had to reset the pinion depth every time I used the pinion depth tool, so I quit using it completely.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Wow, I hear people say to not use the depth tool becasue of machining differences from case to case, and that the pattern is the only way to really do it. Who knows....
I'm aware of the machining differences between cases and check them and take that into consideration when I do my set up. Also, I've never found an 8 3/4 to be more than a few thou off the center line.....
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 PM

Last photo:

Well here she is, this thing was really nasty on the outside. I guess it is 40 years old though. After about 45 minutes in the parts washer, I sprayed it down with some brake cleaner then blew it dry to get ready to put on the marking compound. The patern looked really good and consistant all the way around the gear. Also the back lash was good at .010 with no runout on the ring gear. It made me feel good seeing USA and FORD stamped on the pinion. It really is a shame because I dont think I have ever seen a ring and pinion with USA stamped on it. To think that stuff made in the USA just keeps going away...

All I have to do is match this pattern and I should be good.

I loaded the gear as hard as I could in this picture and you can see a circular pattern in this picture if you look hard enough.

Clean and ready to go in the car.

Last edited by 96lt4c4; 02-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

What do you think? I think its really close.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:15 PM
High Performance Rear Ends

Last photo:

Yea, it looks about the same as it did before you took it out.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.