Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise - Page 7 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just went back threw and looked at the pictures of the Motive gear pattern, look at the contact spots at the outer edge of the ring gear at the bottom of the picture.

I took apart the aluminum pinion support and this is what I found, a little sliver of aluminum came out when I pressed out one of the bearings. Also looks galled up.

Here is a video of the races

Look at the see patterns notice there is no contact on the bad area.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
More for Less Racer

I could see that galled and stripped off piece of aluminum causing the race to sit funny and giving you the problem you had, pinion gear would not be held in place securely under power.

Any sign on the bottom step of that bearing race bore indicating that the piece of stripped off aluminum ended up under the race and held the race tipped a bit??
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnova72
I could see that galled and stripped off piece of aluminum causing the race to sit funny and giving you the problem you had, pinion gear would not be held in place securely under power.

Any sign on the bottom step of that bearing race bore indicating that the piece of stripped off aluminum ended up under the race and held the race tipped a bit??

I looked but could not tell, I am pretty sure I have found the source of my problem though. The reason the back race didnt galled was becasue we put the support on a hot plate and heated it up until the race dropped in. The outer bearing we just tryed to press in and it went sideways on us. Maybe we should have tryed the same route with the other bearing and it would have been fine. I can tell you one thing though if I ever build another one of these I will not be using an alluminum support.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Last photo:

Have you driven this yet? Any noise? Is the gears now Motive or Yukon?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:48 AM

Last photo:

I have been doing process of elimination. This past weekend I set up the old Ford housing with the original OEM Ford gear that came in it, 3.70. I used the new nodular iron pinion support, and the Ford racing Trac Lock that I have been using this whole time. So, now the only thing that is the same is the Trac Lock.

Something I noticed about the Yukon ring gear is that it does not fit tight on the Ford posi. I could put it on by hand. The Motive and OEM Ford gear had to be pressed on. Anyway when I took the Yukon ring gear off one of the 3 set screws that hold the 2 halves of the posi together had sheared off. The ring gear bolt holes in the posi are quite a bit bigger than the bolts, that with the ring gear not fitting tight allowed the ring gear to spin just enough that it sheared the set screws off that hold the two halves together! The hat on the posi has been machined down in a lathe, I think it has had to much taken off and is flexing under load allowing the ring gear to move away from the pinion. Here is the ford gear pattern before I ran it and what it looked like after 2 days of driving on it. It has the same marks as the Yukon gear. If anyone has any input on this let me know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0391.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	54254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0403.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	54255   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0404.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	54256  
Old 04-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Just talking to a guy I work with about the set screws shearing off and he thinks my ring gear bolts are bottoming out. It makes sense i will have to check when I get home.

They are the Trac Lock bolts that came in the Yukon install kit.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

I have had to run a bottoming tap in the ring gear bolt holes of many Yukon gears.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 AM

Last photo:

Well I had a few bolts that look like they may have bottomed out. But, they thread far enough into the Yukon and new Motive gear that i have that they should not bottom out. I measured and they go in further than the thickness of the posi so they should be good. The Ford gear is not drilled and tapped as deep as the others so they may have bottomed or came real close on the Ford gear. I went ahead and ground off a 1/16 inch off the bolts and ran them threw a die to straighten the threads. I am at a loss; I am running out of theoryís as to what it could be. The only thing left is the posi and maybe the housing not being straight. My axel slide right in with ease, no binding at all so I donít see how it could be the housing. I am about ready to fix my 10 bolt and put it back in the car, maybe next winter....I dont want to ruin another ring and pinion until I know for sure what it is.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Last photo:

Ford gear, Ford housing, just found out that my posi is a Yukon Trac lock and not a Ford Racing trac lock. Yukon part number YDGF9-31-AG. Here is a video of the noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOVJOamkd7s
Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

Last photo:

I would still suggest you try another known quiet chunk, just because you have tried so many iterations with different parts and keep getting the same results. I dont have a guess why your setup would be prone to noise transmission, but after 3 gear sets all installed with a good pattern, there is something odd going on. That is alot of noise.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsport
I would still suggest you try another known quiet chunk, just because you have tried so many iterations with different parts and keep getting the same results. I dont have a guess why your setup would be prone to noise transmission, but after 3 gear sets all installed with a good pattern, there is something odd going on. That is alot of noise.
I dont know, I am begening to wonder if it is my housing. Not being straight and causing axels to bind. We did do a lot of welding on it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:26 AM

axle housing ---- jig it and fine out
Old 04-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
I dont know, I am begening to wonder if it is my housing. Not being straight and causing axels to bind. We did do a lot of welding on it.
I've seen your statements that the axles slid right in and out. If your housing was not straight it should be hard to get the axles in and out.

Have you double checked that your axles are the correct length for your housing?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:56 AM

Last photo:

We got ours back today,the builder said that the pattern looked terrible,but was best that could be with those gears (Motive)
He said that it probably will make some noise
Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
I've seen your statements that the axles slid right in and out. If your housing was not straight it should be hard to get the axles in and out.

Have you double checked that your axles are the correct length for your housing?
When I first got the axels one of them was a little to long, about 1/16 of the wheel bearing sticking out and the axel bottoming out on the carrier pin. So we put it in a lathe and cut about 1/8 off. I got paranoid about the driver side so I put a little red grease on the end of it and slid it in. I pulled it back out and there was some grease on the pin so I cut 1/16 of of it just to be safe. I did the grease trick on both of them again and they were not hitting anymore.

I am in the process of having a friend machine me some aluminum collars to make a jig to check the housing. I can get a 1.5" bar for about $70. At this point I am going to rule everything out before it goes back together. I cant afford to keep ruining ring and pinions.

Here is what I am planning on doing, if its straight then good, if not them I have to figure out how to straighten it.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ar_end_housing

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.