Yukon 3.75 gears for Ford 9 inch....noise - Page 8 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #106 (permalink)  
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just messing around tonight and stuck the axels in the housing with the posi between them to see how much play I had. There is just a little over an inch between the axels when they are all the way in the housing.

In the video you can see a little wobble in the posi when I spin it. Its really not that accurate because it is just kind of hanging there. I need to look up and see how much clearance should be between the 2 axels, I am not sure what it is suppose to be from the factory.

http://youtu.be/zW2ThQeX2eA




    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #107 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the factory width between the axels should be 1 1/8". Maybe one of the axels is still just a little too long and touching inside of the posi and causing an issue? I am grasping at straws.

Maybe I will get my bar today and see if it is straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #108 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12 AM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,719
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Looks like the factory width between the axels should be 1 1/8". Maybe one of the axels is still just a little too long and touching inside of the posi and causing an issue? I am grasping at straws.

Maybe I will get my bar today and see if it is straight.
To measure correctly you will need to put a loaded center section into your housing. Run a tape down your tubes and hook it on the inside of the side gear. Measure to the lip in your housing end that the axle brg seats against.

Then you can measure your axle from the tip to the inside of the axle brg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #109 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,145
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 425
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
i admire your tenacity. I will admit Ive never had much experience doing rear axles other than class time in high school. However, aluminum housings don't inspire confidence in me. I would have dropped this off at a shop way before this point LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #110 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:04 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear
i admire your tenacity. I will admit Ive never had much experience doing rear axles other than class time in high school. However, aluminum housings don't inspire confidence in me. I would have dropped this off at a shop way before this point LOL

I am getting close to giving up. I have put the 7.5 10 bolt back in the car for the time being so that I can take my time trouble shooting the 9".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #111 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
To measure correctly you will need to put a loaded center section into your housing. Run a tape down your tubes and hook it on the inside of the side gear. Measure to the lip in your housing end that the axle brg seats against.

Then you can measure your axle from the tip to the inside of the axle brg.

When I measured I ran the tape in till it bottomed out on the carrier pin and measured to the outside of the housing end. My bearings are flush with the outside of the housing when they are all the way in. The GM backing plates are now my bearing retainers. It could very well be that one of my axels is still to long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #112 (permalink)  
Old 04-12-2011, 01:38 PM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,719
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
When I measured I ran the tape in till it bottomed out on the carrier pin and measured to the outside of the housing end. My bearings are flush with the outside of the housing when they are all the way in. The GM backing plates are now my bearing retainers. It could very well be that one of my axels is still to long.
For GOOD spline engagement you want the spline to fully go thru the side gear but not so far that the axle tip hits the pin. At this this point anything from the retainer out is not of concern. Your housing end will have a lip that the axle brg seats against.. Measure from the inside of the side gear to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then measure your axle from the inside of the axle brg to the end.

If you wanted to use a measurement from the pin... Thats fine too. Just measure from the pin to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then when measuring your axle from tip to inside of axle brg and that will tell you if its hitting the pin.

To be honest,I'm not sure that this is your problem. It just looked like you had checked just about everything else.

I build quite a few Aluminum housings and I dont have problems with them. So I really doubt the aluminum housing is causing your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #113 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
For GOOD spline engagement you want the spline to fully go thru the side gear but not so far that the axle tip hits the pin. At this this point anything from the retainer out is not of concern. Your housing end will have a lip that the axle brg seats against.. Measure from the inside of the side gear to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then measure your axle from the inside of the axle brg to the end.

If you wanted to use a measurement from the pin... Thats fine too. Just measure from the pin to the lip that the axle brg seats against. Then when measuring your axle from tip to inside of axle brg and that will tell you if its hitting the pin.

To be honest,I'm not sure that this is your problem. It just looked like you had checked just about everything else.

I build quite a few Aluminum housings and I dont have problems with them. So I really doubt the aluminum housing is causing your problem.

I am going to throw it in a center section tonight and re measure just to be sure. I have a small enought tape measure now that I can clip it on the side of the gears in the posi. I have narrowed it down to the, axels, housing, and posi. Those are the only things that have stayed the same threw all this. I need to post some pictures of the bearing races that came out of the carrier this time. I had to put new bearings on the posi to run it in the stock Ford case, I think they measure 2.891. The ones for the aluminum case are 3.062. Anyway the wear pattern on the new races is all over the place. The only have about 50 miles on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #114 (permalink)  
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts


This is one of the Carrier bearing races that just came out. Really uneven wear pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #115 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:57 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to prostreet6t9, I have finally found it. Just goes to show when you think things are right sometimes you just need to go back and double check.
Axels were too long and hitting inside the posi. I measured wrong. I bottomed my tape against the pin in the posi and I should have been clipping it on the side gears. I put everything in the old ford center section, stuck it in the housing and re measured. Both axels were a 1/16th too long. Just that little bit was causing it to hit the block in the center of the posi. I ground a good 1/16th off each axel and re taperd them by hand. They turned out pretty good.

I set up my new ring and pinion in the aluminum housing and now I think the posi is bent somewhere, the pattern was moving up and down the tooth as I spun it.













I am so burnt out on this thing that now even though I am pretty sure this is whats wrong with it, I do not want to work on it.

prostreet6t9, Thank you sir, I owe you a beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #116 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:36 AM
302 Z28's Avatar  
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2003
Location: North Texas
Posts: 10,837
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 1
Thanked 86 Times in 73 Posts
That is a real bummer, walk away from it for a week or so.

Vince
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #117 (permalink)  
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 2,145
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 425
Thanked 216 Times in 195 Posts
Im worn out just reading along for the past 8 pages. Im proud of you though, seriously. Its awesome to see someone fight through this stuff and MAKE it right.

Things like this are part of the reason why we build cars with our hands, not our checkbooks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #118 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,719
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 40 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Thanks to prostreet6t9, I have finally found it. Just goes to show when you think things are right sometimes you just need to go back and double check.
Axels were too long and hitting inside the posi. I measured wrong. I bottomed my tape against the pin in the posi and I should have been clipping it on the side gears. I put everything in the old ford center section, stuck it in the housing and re measured. Both axels were a 1/16th too long. Just that little bit was causing it to hit the block in the center of the posi. I ground a good 1/16th off each axel and re taperd them by hand. They turned out pretty good.

I set up my new ring and pinion in the aluminum housing and now I think the posi is bent somewhere, the pattern was moving up and down the tooth as I spun it.



I am so burnt out on this thing that now even though I am pretty sure this is whats wrong with it, I do not want to work on it.

prostreet6t9, Thank you sir, I owe you a beer.
Your welcome Hopefully that was the problem. Like 302 says.... walk away for a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #119 (permalink)  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 4
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read through most of your post....I too am fighting some noise in my 9" in my IROC. I have not gone through all the steps you have, but I have played around with it quite a bit. I did not see if you said you checked for ring gear run-out. I have .003 runout on my ring gear when torqued to the Trac-loc posi. I beleive this is what my issue is. I have got it to the point where it's pretty quiet now...only whines between 50-70 mph on accel...quiet all the time on decel. Good luck with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #120 (permalink)  
Old 04-16-2011, 06:32 AM
96lt4c4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bardstown, KY
Age: 35
Posts: 109
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Your welcome Hopefully that was the problem. Like 302 says.... walk away for a bit

It has to be, I kept wondering where the metal was coming from. If you listen to the Youtube video at about 1:50 my phone falls between the back seat and the tunnel and you can hear metal to metal grinding sound. I am pretty sure that is what it is, it obviously isnt a good thing that they were hitting. One side was hitting bad enough to gall the block pretty good.

Anyway I took the posi to work with me yesterday. Luckilly I have accsess to some pretty cool tools. I spun the 2 halves of the posi in a lathe and checked for runout, we also have a machined flat slab of granite the is 10 foot long and 3 feet thick. I layed the 2 halves on the granite and tryed to slide a .001" shim stock underneath and it wouldnt go. The posi checked out fine. The only thing I found was that the threw bolts on the Yukon case were bent. I have a N Strange case that I am going to try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing out Ford 9 inch Gears 31fordcoupe Transmission - Rearend 27 06-04-2011 11:20 AM
Yukon gears Ford Junkie Transmission - Rearend 5 07-11-2010 08:15 PM
Ford 9 inch w/ 3.50 gears kleen56 Transmission - Rearend 6 12-30-2008 10:45 AM
9 inch noise cdiedrick Transmission - Rearend 15 10-09-2005 08:25 PM
Ford 9 inch rear end... whinning noise??? bg Transmission - Rearend 5 09-28-2005 01:03 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.