z 28 cooling engine/tranny/radiator fans - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2003, 05:25 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

z 28 cooling engine/tranny/radiator fans

hey guys, im just kind of deciding what do do right now been calling around and stuff about my transmission(once again, 87 camaro z 28 5.7 350 700r4) and gettting pricing and all that good stuff since i cant get in touch with my ****$%$% mechanic. I have a trust problem with most shops around here today since before i started doing my own stuff ive gotten f**ked over a couple of times and i guess with someone you know and have know for 20 years you know you wont get fuc*ed over pricewise and all kind of added stuff you dont need, anyways enough of that but my question(yes finally lol) was , the two fans on the radiator of my car, one of them i had to direct wire to a toggle, the other the motor must be burnt because i cant direct wire it it gets nothing, but they are both the same size, and i was wondering if one was for the air condition system and one was for the radiator (i know they both help cool the radiator, but on my honda one fan kicks on and off with the a/c, did i say this was my first american made car lol, big jump from 2.2 with 4 cylanders to 5.7 with 8 so im gettin used to it and trying to learn) and does it necessarily have to have both fans turning to keep the temp down? Im asking because my air conditioner doesent work anyways and i havent had a car a/c since i can remember, and im not really planning on spending any money on the a./c since the tops will be off most of the time or the heater will be on in the winter, but i did try turning on the a/c and no fan, and off still no fan , and that was after i ran the car a while and let the temperature get up to normal op. temp. also when the car overheated (just a hair below the red mark) the fan still dident come on, thats when i tried direct wiring it and that fan still dident work, but my other fan works, it was working with ignition , but my friend stuck that damn gm code reader in there and started it and ever since then it wont come on unless i direct wired it , so thats what i did to that one, what about the other one, my dad said that maybe since this was a pretty nice sized motor that maybe both fans were meant to operate to cool it. So anyone with any advice/info let me know , if its better with both ill go get a new motor for it and direct wire it to a toggle, if its not necessary and only for the a/c i wont worry about it. Also , anyone know any good honest tranny mechanics around new iberia, or lafayette louisiana(cajun country)?

Edit* sorry guys i dident know wich area to put this in but i think i should have put it in the other and i dont know how to move it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 09:31 AM

Hey i say you need both fans to keep her cool.The one probley has just got a relay or something simple wrong with it.Also if you dont want to use a toggle switch napa sells a therostate that one end slides into your radator and the other wires to your motors that will kick them on for you when the engine get to a set point you can adjust.I use one on my chevelle and it works good.Also i aint trying to be smart but i didnt know if you know or not but most auto stores sell hayes manuels for about 15 bucks and will tell you about anything you need to know on your car.How to remove stuff and just about everything you can think of.I used one when i rebuilt my pickup and it was very usefull
Old 08-01-2003, 10:48 AM

hey , thanks a bunch for the info on the fans and that thermostat i think that sounds like a good idea, also yes i do have the manuel but the bulk of the stuff in it is for the 4 and 6 cylander and to remove my tranny it wouldve had me doing alot of unnecessary stuff like the taking off the exhaust for one , im really glad you and the rest of the people gave me tips and advice about it.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 PM

Hey i wish you the best of luck.I have always seemed to be low on money to have some one fix my stuff or when i did they always messed it up so what little i know i learned just like you.I wish stuff like this was around when i was younger and im glad it is know.So keep tinkering and have fun with it.It wouldnt be no fun if you just payed someone to do it for ya
Old 08-02-2003, 10:26 AM

Location: I live in Rocklin, CA about 30 miles east of Sacramento.

First of all, with the A/C, if you don't have any freon in the system, then your a/c will not kick the fan on, because of pressure switches. I think I would rather have both fans cycle on and off as the thermostat controls them. Every make and model of car can be wired differently. But I would try to hard wire both fans to eachother. And preferably have them set to turn on when your temp rises, but a toggle hooked to both fans will work too. You should also make sure you have a relay in your fan wiring. It will save your electric fans from possibly burning out. With your car off, try putting 12 volts straight to the fan to see if the motor is toast. If it is you will need a new motor.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.