Z-28 history - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Z-28 history

O.K. I would like input on this subject: I know that the Chevy Camaro came about in 1966 for model year 1967. What I want to know is what model year the Camaro actually had insignia on the side of the car calling it a Z-28. I know that Chevy called RPO (regular production order) Camaro vehicles in 1967 with a 302 ( 327 with a 283 crank) engine Z-28's to compete in SCCA (below 304 CCs) against the Mustang. I am aware of the RS designation (rally sport) and the SS designation (super sport). What I want to know, is when you could actually order a "Z-28" from the factory WITH THE Z-28 INSIGNIA ACTUALLY ON THE CAR.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-08-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

The first Z28's were 1967. They made 602 of them. I had a Black one ( in 1967 ). I do not remember them having Z28 on them ... but I also had a Black 68 Z28 and a green 69 Z28 so they all have sort of run together in my mind. I owned the first one over 40 years ago ... and sold the last 69 Z28 in the late 70's ...

I actually preferred the 69 Z28 over the other two.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Thanks Deuce: My question still is this: What model year had the first Z-28 insignia ON THE CAR. Like I said, I know the factory designation existed from 1967, and could be ordered from the factory for about a $350 upgrade.( if you ever worked for $3.00 (or less) an hour, you know that that was a lot of money back then) The picture you posted could be '67, 68, or '69, and possibly '70 or '71, and the engine is way bigger than the 302 that would have been original in '67. It looks like a 396. (I'm operating on nothing but my own memory here, didn't the body change in 1970, 1971, or 1972?) Nothing I've found in my internet searches has given me this answer.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-08-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Old 11-08-2008, 09:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't want to be argumentative, and I appreciate the pics, but there have been a lot of cars that have been restored that have used higher designations than were actually available for the model years in question. I have seen SS and RS trim on Camaros that didn't have hidden headlights, which I am almost sure was a feature of those two cars, or is my memory wrong? The first pic is obviously of a straight from the factory period 1967 which looks to me like its designation is RS, with nothing about Z-28 actually on the car. The '69 would not have had factory Cragar wheels. It seems to me that 1968 would have been the first actual model year the Z-28 designation was actually on the car from the factory??? 1970 appears to be the start of the second generation "F" body Camaro, right????

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 11-08-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The pic posted by Duece is a 69.

Looks to be a SBC and the height might be the Cowl Induction air cleaner.
(weren't the 302s a dual 4bbl crossram??)
I am not sure if the hideaways were part of the the SS or RS or the RS/SS
I always thought they were part of an appearance package available on these cars.

My brother's 68 SS was actually a pretty spartan car, but it would move out.

The cars SS or Z-28 cars of 70----for the longest time I believed the split front bumper was standard---not so, I believe I was informed it was part of the RS package and optional on the others
Old 11-08-2008, 10:10 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

This was from a mold of a 1970, rented in 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UPUPandAWAY.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	33979  
Old 11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

RS means Rallye Sport ... It is a trim only and was available on any Camaro in the early years. My green 69 Z28 was also a RS Z28 ... kind of rare. They only made 20,302 real 69 Z28's. A small portion of them were RS. SS means Super Sport and was a optional upgrade package in the early Camaros. SS meant a standard better engine and suspension over the lower models. Just like Z28 meant 4 speed, 12 bolt rear and front disc brakes with the 290 HP 302 engine. I have some photos of my Black 67 Z ... somewhere. I will have to find them and see if the Z28 was on it but I do not think so. I know the 68 had Z28 on it.

I had the 67 Z28 in 1967
I had the 68 Z28 in the later part of 1968.

Will have to find the old photos from then

Old 11-08-2008, 10:22 PM

Last photo:

In '69, only RS cars had hidden headlights. My sister had a '69 SS convertible, bought from the original owner, and it had regular exposed headlights.

And yes, she sold it without asking me if I wanted it first.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, I know the RS was rally sport and the SS was super sport, but I thought that also meant they had hidden headlights, although that just may have been an option available with those packages and not automatically included. I also know that the RPO (regular production order) Z-28 designation was part of 600 or so cars intended to meet SCCA (sports car club of america) specs to compete with the Mustang (running a 289) which meant the engine had to be below 304 CI. This is why Chevy used a 327 engine with a 283 crankshaft which made it 302 CI, and therefore within the SCCA specs. RPO Z-28 came right after RPO Z-27. Both of these could be ordered, but they were not widely known to the general public like RS and SS were.

I still want to know what year the actual designation went on the car. IN OTHER WORDS.........what model year was Z-28 used just like the RS or SS options, which were specific engine and option packages like the Dodge R/T (road and track), or the Pontiac GTO (gran turismo omologato) and had nameplates on the car to designate that particular car as a Z-28. It is widely known that the GTO started in 1964, with those markings on the car. I guess the problem is that the GTO was a specific Pontiac model, the next step up from a LeMans, while the Z-28 was a type of Camaro, and not a specific model.

I'm sorry to be so nitpicking with my question, but I'm looking for a precise answer that I can't find anywhere.

SO..........what model year did the nameplate Z-28 first go on the Camaro??

Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

Q: What else was special about a first-generation Camaro Z-28?

A: All first-generation Z-28s were coupes with a 302ci/290HP V8 engine, a 4-speed manual (Muncie) transmission, and a large ring-gear rear axle (the "12-bolt"). Front and rear springs were specially matched, and the package included larger 15-inch wheels. Power front disc brakes were required but priced separately. Positraction was recommended but not required. The engine power rating was conservative, and in racing trim made in excess of 400HP. Air conditioning and automatic transmission simply were not available. If you see a first-generation Camaro with Z-28 on it, and it has an original automatic or A/C, it is not a true Z-28.

The first year, Z28 had no external badging at all to distinguish it from a base L6-engined car. Early in 1968, a 302 engine emblem was added to the fenders, but into the model year the fender engine emblem was replaced with a "Z/28" emblem. In 1969 there were Z/28 emblems all over the car: grille, fenders, tailpan and (cowl hood only) 302 engine emblem.

In the first two years a cowl plenum option was available as an extension of RPO Z28. In '67, it was Z28BA for the standard car, Z28BB for the Z with cowl plenum air cleaner, Z28BC for the headers-only option, and Z28BD for both the headers and cowl plenum air cleaner. The last two letters are the ECL (Exception Control List) codes that indicate differences in particular applications of each RPO. If you have an original window sticker for a car you will see these ECL codes attached to each option. For '68, the Z28 was ordered in the different configurations as Z281, Z282, Z283, and Z284, but the option was printed on the window sticker with the same ECL codes as used in '67 and indicated above.

The cowl plenum air cleaner and the plastic duct were in separate boxes in the trunk with installation instructions included. If headers were ordered they were in the trunk as well, along with the trim rings and hub caps for the rally wheels, which made for a pretty jam-packed situation, to say the least!

For '69, the cowl plenum option was not available. At the start of the model year the standard 1969 Z28 was indicated as Z28BA. In the middle of the model year, the formerly optional D80 spoiler became a part of the Z28 package and at this time the ECL changed to Z28BB.

Copied from here:
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#Z28
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
In '69, only RS cars had hidden headlights. My sister had a '69 SS convertible, bought from the original owner, and it had regular exposed headlights.
But you could get RS ... on any 69 Camaro. There were RS Z28's and RS equipped SS cars also. Most RS were just plain jane Camaros but some were highly optioned.

EXAMPLE ... this Super Sport Camaro has the RS option also ... just like my green 69 Z28 did. I believe the 67 and 68's were the same way.

Last edited by Deuce; 11-09-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:46 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I had a 67 rs/ss in 68 or 69. It had hidden headlights. It had SS in the center of the grille. White nose stripe, but I don't remember what the side nose badge said exactly, but RS was on the car somewhere I don't recall much else. It had a 327 glide.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J
I had a 67 rs/ss in 68 or 69. It had hidden headlights. It had SS in the center of the grille. White nose stripe, but I don't remember what the side nose badge said exactly, but RS was on the car somewhere :rolleyes
Where did you hide her body?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9
Q: What else was special about a first-generation Camaro Z-28?

A: All first-generation Z-28s were coupes with a 302ci/290HP V8 engine, a 4-speed manual (Muncie) transmission, and a large ring-gear rear axle (the "12-bolt"). Front and rear springs were specially matched, and the package included larger 15-inch wheels. Power front disc brakes were required but priced separately. Positraction was recommended but not required. The engine power rating was conservative, and in racing trim made in excess of 400HP. Air conditioning and automatic transmission simply were not available. If you see a first-generation Camaro with Z-28 on it, and it has an original automatic or A/C, it is not a true Z-28.

The first year, Z28 had no external badging at all to distinguish it from a base L6-engined car. Early in 1968, a 302 engine emblem was added to the fenders, but into the model year the fender engine emblem was replaced with a "Z/28" emblem. In 1969 there were Z/28 emblems all over the car: grille, fenders, tailpan and (cowl hood only) 302 engine emblem.

In the first two years a cowl plenum option was available as an extension of RPO Z28. In '67, it was Z28BA for the standard car, Z28BB for the Z with cowl plenum air cleaner, Z28BC for the headers-only option, and Z28BD for both the headers and cowl plenum air cleaner. The last two letters are the ECL (Exception Control List) codes that indicate differences in particular applications of each RPO. If you have an original window sticker for a car you will see these ECL codes attached to each option. For '68, the Z28 was ordered in the different configurations as Z281, Z282, Z283, and Z284, but the option was printed on the window sticker with the same ECL codes as used in '67 and indicated above.

The cowl plenum air cleaner and the plastic duct were in separate boxes in the trunk with installation instructions included. If headers were ordered they were in the trunk as well, along with the trim rings and hub caps for the rally wheels, which made for a pretty jam-packed situation, to say the least!

For '69, the cowl plenum option was not available. At the start of the model year the standard 1969 Z28 was indicated as Z28BA. In the middle of the model year, the formerly optional D80 spoiler became a part of the Z28 package and at this time the ECL changed to Z28BB.

Copied from here:
http://www.camaros.org/geninfo.shtml#Z28
Thank you for digging up this info for me, I really appreciate it!!

Dan

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.